Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My dad Died....

• 26-04-2016 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

Just over a month ago my dad died. He was 77 and it was very sudden, a massive stroke on the Monday and he was gone by the next afternoon.

In many ways I feel lucky to of spent so much time with him. I was his business partner for nearly 10 years and got more time with him in his final years then most get.

In another way it makes it more difficult. I am now working without him and the loss of a father, a supporter and a friend is really hard to deal with. I miss him so much.

I am told and believe, that over time, that the pain gets less frequent. I find it harder now then it was the first two or so weeks of his death when I suppose shock was the overriding feeling.

I still don't fully believe he is gone.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I'm sorry for your loss op. It must be so hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Sorry for your loss Drumpot.

Does it get easier? I think the feelings mellow, for want of a better word.

I still think of my Dad everyday. Somedays more than others. Sometimes something will catch me unawares that brings memories flooding back. Like an old film, that he used to love, will come on the tv - if we watch it, I usually have to blow my nose :o (quite hard) just after his favourite bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sorry for your loss Drumpot.

Does it get easier? I think the feelings mellow, for want of a better word.

I still think of my Dad everyday. Somedays more than others. Sometimes something will catch me unawares that brings memories flooding back. Like an old film, that he used to love, will come on the tv - if we watch it, I usually have to blow my nose :o (quite hard) just after his favourite bits.

Thanks for that. I felt quite ok today and read this and just cried. I suppose its only been a month so its extremely raw.

As a man, my instinct is to either try and suppress the tears or to make sure nobody is around when I am crying! Its a shame I still do this as I find crying an extremely helpful exercise and is most likely the most healthy way of processing my pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,073 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Very painful experience op. I lost my father a few years ago from cancer. A truly dreadful experience. It does get easier over time but the loss will always be there. I wish you and your family the very best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Very sorry for your loss Drumpot.
    I lost my own dad 2 years ago. I don't think it is something you "get over". But things do get a little better. I think it hurts so much now but in time, all those times you got to spend with him, more than most, you'll be able to take comfort in that. One thing I learned it, my life with my dad was a completely different life to without my dad. I'm probably not wording it very well, it makes sense in my head but probably not written down. I think of it as like a book. The part of your life with your dad was one chapter, but this is a new one. It's ok to start things (anything) afresh without him, rather than trying to keep things the same because that's how things were when he was there. Things will be new and be different but that doesn't mean it won't be good.

Do what you need to do to feel better. Cry if you want to cry. It's been over 2 years for me, and I'm still crying when I think about him or talk about him, but I spent about 1.5 years not being able to cry. No tears at all, so I think tears are good. Don't hold them in.

x

• Advertisement
Advertisement