Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fedex delivery

Options
  • 26-04-2016 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

A friend in the U.S. sent me an item via Fedex last week. Today I receive an invoice for €60 ( Duty & Tax ). I did not request the item, and had no idea it was being sent, so I don't get why it should cost me. Anyone else have this problem ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Yes, from time to time while my husband and I were separated by the US green card process (he had to wait here while I had to work there). Once he was charged about five times the actual contents of the parcel and refused it (it wasn't terribly important anyway). It's not based on what you order or request, it's based on the simple fact of movement of goods across the border. That said, it might not have been calculated correctly, or the contents might have been detailed in the wrong way, or an excessive value declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Speedwell wrote: »
    Once he was charged about five times the actual contents of the parcel and refused it (it wasn't terribly important anyway).

Fedex avoid you even having the chance to do this by delivering then invoicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

L1011 wrote: »
    Fedex avoid you even having the chance to do this by delivering then invoicing.

My gripe is I don't think i should be paying for something I didn't order, and knew nothing about.
    I'm in the embarrassing position of having to contact the sender, with the invoice number, and telling them it's their baby.

mattser wrote: »
    My gripe is I don't think i should be paying for something I didn't order, and knew nothing about.
    I'm in the embarrassing position of having to contact the sender, with the invoice number, and telling them it's their baby.

It's just like postage. The sender IS responsible for making sure customs charges are covered. Failing that, the recipient is. I quickly learned to keep my packages to my husband within the duty-free allowance and to mark them properly.

There was the time that I marked a package "homemade cookies" with hearts and stars and other juvenilia, and it was delayed for a bit in transit, and two and a half dozen of the three dozen actually made it to him, without explanation. Yay me for vacuum-packing them in bags of six each. But that appears to be a different sort of "tax" (and I hope the customs officials enjoyed their tea).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's just like postage. The sender IS responsible for making sure customs charges are covered. Failing that, the recipient is. I quickly learned to keep my packages to my husband within the duty-free allowance and to mark them properly.

There was the time that I marked a package "homemade cookies" with hearts and stars and other juvenilia, and it was delayed for a bit in transit, and two and a half dozen of the three dozen actually made it to him, without explanation. Yay me for vacuum-packing them in bags of six each. But that appears to be a different sort of "tax" (and I hope the customs officials enjoyed their tea).

the recipient is responsible for any customs charges payable.

• Advertisement

the recipient is responsible for any customs charges payable.

Yes, if the sender doesn't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Was there any mention of these charges when you took delivery of the package ?

Cant see how that would stand up in court if they tried to enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

I'll get on to the sender, so. If they don't pay, I don't. No mention was made at time of delivery. What a load of b*****.
    Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes, if the sender doesn't pay.

and that is different to what i said how, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Shelflife wrote: »
    Was there any mention of these charges when you took delivery of the package ?

Cant see how that would stand up in court if they tried to enforce it.

Wonder what they'd do if you refused delivery after the fact?

Technically customs and duty are legally due but do you have a right to refuse?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Duty and vat is due on the total landed cost including delivery charge. An additional admin charge also applies.

FedEx do not check whether you requested the package or not - its nothing to do with them. The sender paid fedex to deliver to you. The sender signed that they agree to terms, so its between you and the sender, not fedex.

Btw fedex will apply late payment fees after about 60 days. I think its €40. They use a credit collection agency for unpaids and add further fees to max allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

mattser wrote: »
    A friend in the U.S. sent me an item via Fedex last week. Today I receive an invoice for €60 ( Duty & Tax ). I did not request the item, and had no idea it was being sent, so I don't get why it should cost me. Anyone else have this problem ?

I've had this out with FEDEX before. Basically i took the position that i might be obliged to pay customs but i'm not obliged to pay it to them, and i certainly wasn't paying their admin fees when they never informed me about them at the time of delivery when i would have had the chance to reject the parcel (which i certainly would have done).

Just on point of principle i sent a cheque to customs for the fees (they never cashed it though), and I told FEDEX i no longer had any need for their administration on the matter so they'd be getting nothing from me.

After them threatening the usual debt collections, legal action etc... if i didn't pay, i said i'd happily see them in court, where i'd show i sent a cheque to customs, and we could skip straight to that step. They were quick enough to get rid of it then.

Play hard ball with them and they'll drop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Time wrote: »
    I've had this out with FEDEX before. Basically i took the position that i might be obliged to pay customs but i'm not obliged to pay it to them, and i certainly wasn't paying their admin fees when they never informed me about them at the time of delivery when i would have had the chance to reject the parcel (which i certainly would have done).

Just on point of principle i sent a cheque to customs for the fees (they never cashed it though), and I told FEDEX i no longer had any need for their administration on the matter so they'd be getting nothing from me.

After them threatening the usual debt collections, legal action etc... if i didn't pay, i said i'd happily see them in court, where i'd show i sent a cheque to customs, and we could skip straight to that step. They were quick enough to get rid of it then.

Play hard ball with them and they'll drop it.

and how much time and effort did you waste on your charade that is utter BS?

I reckon they just couldn't be arsed dealing with such stupid action, but if another parcel arrives, you may find that they won't deliver it until fees and charges are prepaid including those owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

VincePP wrote: »

I reckon they just couldn't be arsed dealing with such stupid action, but if another parcel arrives, you may find that they won't deliver it until fees and charges are prepaid including those owed.

About 30 mins in total so on a cost to time ratio it was absolutely worth my while. The issue i had was that they don't allow you the option to pay the customs fees before hand and then expect you to pay them for doing it for you, several weeks later, although you never asked them to. What about that is "BS"?

I've had plenty of parcels delivered by them since then without issue, and since they agreed to waive the charges i owe them nothing. They could have pursued but chose not to, that was their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

VincePP wrote: »

Hang on a second now.

If an unsolicited parcel arrived for you from the states and was delivered by fedex. Inside theres 1916 commemoration coins that you dont want and never asked for.

At the time of delivery Fedex mention nothing of custom charges or admin fees but send you a bill 2 weeks later.

Had you known there was a charge involved with the parcel you would have refused it, but they withheld this information from you.

Why would you be liable to pay these amounts to fedex ?

With An Post its all upfront and the money is collected when you get the parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've posted in legal to see what their opinions are.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99543820

Advertisement