Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severs Disease

• 26-04-2016 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have an 8 year old diagnosed with the above, he has attended Physio and has a heel lift but over 3 months hasn't yet shown much sign of improvement.

I'm considering bringing him to get a custom made sports orthotics which is quite expensive.

The Physio I use is excellent and he's not convinced it will make much difference but said try seek other feedback on it.

Just wondering if anyone here may have a child they are managing with this, it's soul destroying looking st him not being able to play sports the past 3 months

I'd appreciate any feedback or opinion here!

Thanks
    Soupie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

3 months is a long time to be out with severs, he is also quite young to suffer from it. Has your son really reduced the amount of work or stress he is putting on his heel since it was first diagnosed? This can be difficult with young children when its in their nature to always run around the place.

Did the physio give you any exercises to perform as well??

While orthotics may not be the answer I would suggest seeking a second opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

cc87 wrote: »
    3 months is a long time to be out with severs, he is also quite young to suffer from it. Has your son really reduced the amount of work or stress he is putting on his heel since it was first diagnosed? This can be difficult with young children when its in their nature to always run around the place.

Did the physio give you any exercises to perform as well??

While orthotics may not be the answer I would suggest seeking a second opinion on it.

So I saw an Orthotist today, he said the same it's not Severs it's Calc Insertional Tendonitis + a LLD. We ordered a customised in sole.

Needs to keep doing the stretches and icing we have already being doing and with the new in sole should settle in a couple of weeks he believes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Jeez. That was quick . From thinking about it to seeing an orthotist in 11 hours. Fair dues to the hse!

Wesser wrote: »
    Jeez. That was quick . From thinking about it to seeing an orthotist in 11 hours. Fair dues to the hse!

Lol I made the appointment yesterday

Giving the costs I was nervous I was wasting more money, was hoping for a pointer either way.
    His custom insole is ordered €350 blips

Also we went private

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Soups123 wrote: »
    So I saw an Orthotist today, he said the same it's not Severs it's Calc Insertional Tendonitis + a LLD. We ordered a customised in sole.

Needs to keep doing the stretches and icing we have already being doing and with the new in sole should settle in a couple of weeks he believes

Once the pain settles, make sure your son doesn't return to previous activity levels too soon. There will be some minor muscle loss due to inactivity and from the pain he was feeling. Tendons take longer to adapt to load so once he starts sports again, make it a gradual return over 2-3 weeks and not back to previous levels straight away.

• Advertisement

cc87 wrote: »
    Once the pain settles, make sure your son doesn't return to previous activity levels too soon. There will be some minor muscle loss due to inactivity and from the pain he was feeling. Tendons take longer to adapt to load so once he starts sports again, make it a gradual return over 2-3 weeks and not back to previous levels straight away.

Thanks for the information, his football season is finished for him do it should be easier now to rest and when ready to gradually build.

Rest ice and stretching seems to be what's needed to get his pain under control and hopefully the in sole keeps it away !

Advertisement