Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment purchase close out

Options
  • 26-04-2016 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently bought an apartment. Mortgage Money was released to solicitor last week. Today they sent me the close out figure.
    It has all the standard legal costs and outlay which are fine. But there are two line items I am questioning.
    1 Local property tax appointment.
    2 Service charge appointment to include sinking find.

I have obviously no issue paying either of these but I'm wondering why the solicitor is standing as a middleman on them? Can I obstain from paying these to him and pay them direct myself? I have one other property and there was no question of either the management fee or property tax having to be paid through the purchase fee.
    I'm not the biggest fan of his solicitor since how my service was handled, and thus I don't want to hand any more money over to him than I have to.
    Can anyone advise if I have to pay it to him, or can I go direct myself once I get the keys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Both would have been paid in advance most likely so you are effectively refunding the seller for the rest of the year for which they are no longer the owner. In this case May to Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Both would have been paid in advance most likely so you are effectively refunding the seller for the rest of the year for which they are no longer the owner. In this case May to Dec.

If that's the case I don't mind.
    Is that always the case though, that the solicitor will pay it? Didn't realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

This is normal.

You can't pay the property tax or service charges yourself as they have already been paid. The vendor has already paid them for this year, as such you are taking over the property you need to compensate the vendor for the remainder of the year.

As with all parts of a property transaction it must go through the solicitors.

Advertisement