Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due this Saturday in the Rotunda

Options
  • 26-04-2016 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

My wife is due this Saturday in the Rotunda with our first. I have to say I am so excited,, if she so much as farts I think the baby is coming.. She plans to stay at home for as long as possible, my wife is into natural births and pain management etc.

My question is,, where do we go when we eventually go into the Rotunda. I know the labour rooms are private in that its only you and your wife and staff in there,, but what are the rooms like prior to going into this room? How many people are you likely to share with? Is there Gas/air available in these rooms?

Also, we plan to go out to dinnner on our due date (if nothing has happened) are we mad.. thanks.. best of luck everyone..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

superman28 wrote: »
    My wife is due this Saturday in the Rotunda with our first. I have to say I am so excited,, if she so much as farts I think the baby is coming.. She plans to stay at home for as long as possible, my wife is into natural births and pain management etc.

My question is,, where do we go when we eventually go into the Rotunda. I know the labour rooms are private in that its only you and your wife and staff in there,, but what are the rooms like prior to going into this room? How many people are you likely to share with? Is there Gas/air available in these rooms?

Also, we plan to go out to dinnner on our due date (if nothing has happened) are we mad.. thanks.. best of luck everyone..

Go out for dinner on the due date, I think something like 1% of babies are actually born on their due date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Definitely go out to dinner, the waiting at home will drive you crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Go for dinner.Nothing will happen that urgently and who knows, a big meal might get things going :-)

I've had two in the rotunda, the second was three weeks ago.You go in, go to reception (assuming shes not about to deliver on the spot!!), give them your chart and they'll check your details.Midwife from the emergency room will call you shortly after.They'll assess you in Emergency room amd decide do you go to labour ward or delivery suite.Someone will then walk or wheel her up.You will have to go to reception during that and sign a few papers, amd get visiting instructions.Make sure you have loads of chamge handy in the car for street parking :-)

I have been lucky and gone straight to delivery on both of mine.Spent a few hours in a labour ward due to a false alarm.Most I can tell you is that it's a hospital ward and basically, women in various stages of labour are there.There'll be midwives on duty to assess you regularly. And you'll be transferred to delivery once contractions are close together

As I said I went straight to delivery on mine, love those rooms.I only had a midwife present for my births, but a doctor is there too if necesssary.You help your wife out as best you can...both of mine were pain managed too, in that I did it with gas and air and just worked through it.Tell her if she wants to give birth in an upright position to ask the staff for help with that (assuming no medical problems).The midwives are absolutely superb, I cannot praise them enough.

You hold your wife's hand, carry bags and generally make sure she has nothing to worry about :-).It's a marathon not a sprint (generally).and it can be quite overwhelming first time round, but it is an unbelievable experience and there is nothing in the world like the feeling when that baby appears. Enjoy it and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I'd go out. If you have to cancel you have to cancel. Most people don't go o their due date

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

Oh yeah go for dinner. Like previous posters have said, chances are she won't go on her due date.

As far as the Rotunda goes, I was actually in 3 weeks ago - totally depends where there's a free bed. I went public, not sure about the private end of things but while I was waiting I was in a ward with 6 beds, then brought into the delivery room which is private obviously, then afterwards into a 4 bed ward. Can't complain about any of it, I was really happy with everything. Gas and air is only available in the delivery room. Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement