Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a cabinet maker

Options
  • 26-04-2016 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    We have fully drawn up (and according to a few people consulted) highly detailed drawings done by an architect for a new furniture fit out we're doing in our premises in D6W.

The refit consists of custom desks/benches and a very small kitchen unit as well as wall paneling. Most of the outer material will be birch ply.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: I posted this in DIY as well but didn't get many responses so hope it's okay to post here too

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Post them up here, and let furniture makers, and knowledgeable folk on the subject, give you their opinions........based of course on their involvement in the craft.

In my experience, cabinetmakers and furniture makers have more experience in fitout design, than most ofthe architects I have ever dealt with.............:rolleyes:

But I am open to correction on that.

By the way....welcome:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

kadman wrote: »
    Post them up here, and let furniture makers, and knowledgeable folk on the subject, give you their opinions........based of course on their involvement in the craft.

In my experience, cabinetmakers and furniture makers have more experience in fitout design, than most ofthe architects I have ever dealt with.............:rolleyes:

But I am open to correction on that.

By the way....welcome:)

Thanks very much that sounds great. I've uploaded the files on Dropbox for anyone who'd like to have a look, click here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Hi I'm a cabinet maker. I'd be interested in talking to you about it if it suits.

As fit outs go, basic enough.

And details are pretty straight forward enough, so no surprises on the horizon there.

Assuming of course that the drawing details match as built ones. But thats par for the course

anyway, and your fitout contractor will soon pin that down.

Details drawn show built up construction with lots of structural members, but standard fitouts also

aim for modular sections that assemble together on site, but have the benefit of ..off site construction

for speed and accuracy.

Good luck with your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Well I priced this job for €10800 plus vat. They guy came back to me and said someone quoted €6000 plus vat.

I would have been struggling to buy all the materials for this project for that price alone :-(

Just a heads up for anyone else giving quotes

• Advertisement

6k plus vat seems extremely low to me. I cant see how it could be done for that.

Genuine birch ply of 18mm thickness is brilliant material, and expensive stuff, and i expect
    that there are a good few sheets involved that would soon build up material cost.

Chinese ply on the other hand.........well its chinese and not the same quality. It could easily be
    passed off as birch to the unsuspecting eye.

At 10k plus you would get it hard to get a decent kitchen fitted, let alone a complex fitout.

And the lightest arris edge detail is going to require, sharp tools, exacting machinery, and a careful
    approach to working methods. All to easy to damage such a delicate edge finish during handling.

And best to run a sample detail, and get signed off, by the architect for his approval. Regardless of
    what you think of it.

Advertisement