Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing boat name........

• 26-04-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

So, does anybody know what the position is regarding a name change on a boat? Let's say I have a boat named "XXX" and I've bought another boat named "YYY", but I want to name my new boat "XXX" like the old one was/is named.

The old boat is fitted with a (new) VHF radio and has been assigned a call sign and MMSI Number, after completion of the VHF radio course, with the original name, "XXX". Am I making sense here?

So, I want to transfer my new radio from "XXX" to "YYY" but rename "YYY" to "XXX".

I'm curious to know if it's as straightforward as that or do the powers that be, have a maze of red tape to be negotiated?

Thanks in advance and any thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

That call sign stays with that boat, when you get a new boat you might get her call sign or if it never had one you will have to apply for a new one. Have a read through this http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/publications/maritime/english/srl-transfer-form/srl-transfer-form.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Many thanks fergal, I thought you might have the low down on it! Any word on your salvage/rescue mission?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

sogood wrote: »
    Many thanks fergal, I thought you might have the low down on it! Any word on your salvage/rescue mission?

When I do find her believe me "Boards sailing & boating" will know about it :D

Advertisement