Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Allergies

• 26-04-2016 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. As above states. One of my jrt's has some sort of allergy. Her chest and paws are quite red and she's scratching mad.

She's up to date with flea/ tick and worm treatments. Checked her over just to be sure. No sign of anything.

I've cut out all treats the last few days and just stuck to plain kibble much to her disgust.

It's only since the fine weather and the bit of sun this happened. I've been having them out and about more.

Other dog is perfect.

Is there an over the counter antihistamine I can buy? I've been bathing the area in cool water daily it's giving a small bit of relief but I suspect she needs something more.

She's an all white jack Russell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

La.de.da wrote: »
    Hi folks. As above states. One of my jrt's has some sort of allergy. Her chest and paws are quite red and she's scratching mad.

She's up to date with flea/ tick and worm treatments. Checked her over just to be sure. No sign of anything.

I've cut out all treats the last few days and just stuck to plain kibble much to her disgust.

It's only since the fine weather and the bit of sun this happened. I've been having them out and about more.

Other dog is perfect.

Is there an over the counter antihistamine I can buy? I've been bathing the area in cool water daily it's giving a small bit of relief but I suspect she needs something more.

OP it could be anything really..

Grass mites …..Allergy to the food – what are you feeding her?

Have you brought her to the vet?

Aloe Vera (100%) helps sooth and is ok for dogs to lick…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

Our 10yr old labx suffers around this time every year esp as he's shedding, we've recently had to change his hypoallergenic food due to supplier issue and he has been scratching alot the last week, just noticed he's himself scratched raw on his belly/sides so he's off to the vet shortly. I'll let u know if they recommend anything other than steroids. I cant think at the minute what we used to do, it's been under control now with the food for a few years. We had him on duck and rice skinners brand food.
    I think an antihistamine has been recommended by the vet previously so should he safe but wouldnt do it longer than a day or so without vet guidance. Hate seeing them so itchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I rang the vet. I got advised that an over the counter children's antihistamine would be okay to try.

I got it gonna try her later.

He said warm salt water cleansing.

Will try the aloe Vera.

cocker5 wrote: »
    OP it could be anything really..

Grass mites …..Allergy to the food – what are you feeding her?

Have you brought her to the vet?

Aloe Vera (100%) helps sooth and is ok for dogs to lick…

She's on burns sensitive. Same happened last year round this time. If no better by Thursday ill bring her to the vet.

Only had the other dog at the vets Saturday with some thing else. Then this started Sunday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

She's on burns sensitive. Same happened last year round this time. If no better by Thursday ill bring her to the vet.

Only had the other dog at the vets Saturday with some thing else. Then this started Sunday :(

well fingers crossed its just grass mites...

• Advertisement

cocker5 wrote: »
    well fingers crossed its just grass mites...

Yeah. Hope so.
    She did accidently run through some thistles now that I think of it. Could be that. She's very finicky when it comes to anything new.

Thanks for your replies. I'll get her to a vet if no improvement over the next 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Other dog is perfect.

Hi, I'm just back from the vets with out JRT X. He suffers from the exact same symptoms as your dog as we were told that he has a grass allergy. The scratching and irritation generally occurs on the point of contact i.e. The chest,legs etc.

I posted recently as we had our dog allergy tested and has been receiving injections for the allergy but in the last few weeks has been suffering again. The best we've been able to do it wipe him down after he comes in.

I would definitely recommend a visit to your vet but in a meantime perhaps wiping them down when they come in might make them feel more comfortable.

Bells21 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just back from the vets with out JRT X. He suffers from the exact same symptoms as your dog as we were told that he has a grass allergy. The scratching and irritation generally occurs on the point of contact i.e. The chest,legs etc.

I posted recently as we had our dog allergy tested and has been receiving injections for the allergy but in the last few weeks has been suffering again. The best we've been able to do it wipe him down after he comes in.

I would definitely recommend a visit to your vet but in a meantime perhaps wiping them down when they come in might make them feel more comfortable.

Yeah I've done a bit of research today and thinking of her routine and the last few days I think it's to do with the grass too.
    I cut it Saturday and all this started Sunday. Around this time last year was the same.

Good idea to wipe her down coming back in. Hate to see them tormented like she was last night.

I have given her the antihistamine and no scratching the last two hours.
    Some of the redness gone down a bit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

We were given steroids and shampoo for our lad. Vet putting it down to the change in food so going to chase down the previous brand that worked so well for him before. We certainly think the allergy is a hayfever type thing always at this time of year, just more severe this year due to the change in food.

rainemac wrote: »
    We were given steroids and shampoo for our lad. Vet putting it down to the change in food so going to chase down the previous brand that worked so well for him before. We certainly think the allergy is a hayfever type thing always at this time of year, just more severe this year due to the change in food.

quite common issue so it seems.

My girls are on burns sensitive pork and potatoe flavour they love it an no digestive issues or anything really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Allergies are SUCH a common problem - and a bugger to solve or rather identify the cause

A comment to your original post - you said she is all white - all-white animals often have skin issues, sunburn can be an issue too - just to be aware if you are not already

If you think its a grass allergy, my friend puts a newborn babygro on her JRT when she goes outside in summer - very cute/daft looking, but it works - oh and newborn baby socks sewn on and held on the paws with a bit of ribbon! Whips them on/off in seconds. The dog actually goes to where she keeps the babygro's in before going outside :D

aonb wrote: »
    Allergies are SUCH a common problem - and a bugger to solve or rather identify the cause

A comment to your original post - you said she is all white - all-white animals often have skin issues, sunburn can be an issue too - just to be aware if you are not already

If you think its a grass allergy, my friend puts a newborn babygro on her JRT when she goes outside in summer - very cute/daft looking, but it works - oh and newborn baby socks sewn on and held on the paws with a bit of ribbon! Whips them on/off in seconds. The dog actually goes to where she keeps the babygro's in before going outside :D

Oooh I'd love to try that. She'd be soo cute. But I rather like my hands intact :)

Doggie seems a lot more content now thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BOD2

Have you considered using Salt therapy as an alternative treatment for allergies?

Advertisement