Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you waiting for?

Options
  • 26-04-2016 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

What upcoming releases are you waiting for?

Looking forward to:
    • Brandon Sanderson - Oathbringer - Stormlight Archives #3 (Expected publication: Nov 2017)
    • Brent Weeks - The Blood Mirror - Lightbringer #4 (Expected publication: Nov 2016 Expected publication: October 25th 2016 - Published October 25th 2016)
    • Peter F. Hamilton - Night Without Stars - Fallers #2 or Commonwealth #8 (Expected publication: Sep 2016 - Published September 27th 2016)

Mildly interested:
    • Scott Lynch - The Thorn of Emberlain - Gentleman Bastard #4 (Jul 2016 September 22, 2016 "Please ignore any date you see for the time being" - 4.34 stars on Goodreads with 910 ratings)

Meh:
    • Patrick Rothfuss - Doors of Stone - Kingkiller #3 (expected sometime between mid 2016 and 2212 - I'll read them anyway, for closure)
    • GRRM - The Winds of Winter - ASOIAF #6 (imminent - lol)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No interest in what you look forward to but I'll pre-order the mildly and meh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I don't rely on release dates anymore, so I'm not really looking forward to anything. However, I will be surprised when Lynch, Rothfuss and Martin all have new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jesus I cant even remember the Kingkiller Chronicles now, what is wrong with him?

Didnt know the next Peter F Hamilton was so close though, thanks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Robin Hobb - Assassin's Fate - Fitz and the Fool #3 (April 2017) - Excellent so far so looking forward to the trilogy's finale.

R. Scott Bakker - The Great Ordeal - Aspect Emperor #3 (Dunno!)

China Mieville - The Last Days of New Paris (Aug 2016). New Mieville!

Also agreed with the choices on Sanderson, Hamilton and Lynch. I'd say I'm looking forward to Rothuss and GRRM but they're so damned slow, I'm starting not to care (particularly about the Kingkiller Chronicles).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Monster Hunter International : Grunge by John Ringo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Manach wrote: »
    Monster Hunter International : Grunge by John Ringo.

Oh No!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Rothfuss & GRRM most of all. GRRM with a bit of irritation at the delay and more so at the further delay i anticipate for final installment.

Rothfuss - meh not too bad a delay tbh. Maybe I have been brutalised to the point of being desensitised by waiting since 2002 for the ASOIF series to be finished off (I had not read the previous books until then.)

After that next stormlight archives and Weeks, then Paolo Bacigalupi and Mieville.

I must catch up on Hamilton, there are a number of books of his i haven't read and i enjoyed night's dawn books.

It's not as if there is a shortage of books out there to "keep us going" in the interim.

Anyone looking for some books to occupy while waiting give bernard cornwell a go, historical fiction rather than fantasy. Warlord chronicles and the saxon stories are particularly good and not dissimilar to ASOIF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

In the next month alone there are a few I've been waiting for:

The City of Mirrors (Passage 3) by Justin Cronin (will wait for this one to go on sale though).
    The Medusa Chronicles by Stephen Baxter and Alastair Reynolds. Really like both their work so this could be great, will wait for initial reviews though.
    War Factory (Transformation 2) by Neal Asher, this will likely be a day 1 purchase for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

mcgovern wrote: »
    In the next month alone there are a few I've been waiting for:

The City of Mirrors (Passage 3) by Justin Cronin (will wait for this one to go on sale though).
    The Medusa Chronicles by Stephen Baxter and Alastair Reynolds. Really like both their work so this could be great, will wait for initial reviews though.
    War Factory (Transformation 2) by Neal Asher, this will likely be a day 1 purchase for me.
    Oh nice, thought it was finished as a series, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Deaths end - Liu Cixin (hurry up!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What was that third Locke Lamora book like? I quit the second one after having really enjoyed the first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

keane2097 wrote: »
    What was that third Locke Lamora book like? I quit the second one after having really enjoyed the first.
    I enjoyed it but the ending part is controversial (some love it, some hate it) and the story does a bit of time jumping between now and the past. It's focused on the girl he fell in love with that was mentioned in book 1.

keane2097 wrote: »

It's approximately 17.82% as good as book 1.
    Manach wrote: »

You got it. That review was legendary in itself. Got me to read the whole series. Ringo is hilarious, Harmon is almost like a book equivalent of Machete.

Haven't started this one yet but sample of book 1 is on my Kindle. Will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

really looking forward to the next Guy gavriel Kay, due in may some time.

Children of Earth and Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Just used this thread to populate my 'to read' list on Goodreads :)

Looking forward to (in no particular order) Robin Hobb, Brent Weeks, Patrick Rothfuss, GRRM, Sanderson - all mentioned above.

Also looking forward to The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan (new series!),

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think there's only 3 books I'm actually looking forward to from series I've already started and you've mentioned them all:

Brandon Sanderson - Oathbringer - I reckon the Stormlight Archive will go down as one of the genres all-time greats. It's Sanderson's opus and the first two books were "stay up reading until 4 in the morning when you have work the next day" brilliant...

Scott Lynch - The Thorn of Emberlain - I'm currently reading The Republic of Thieves and so far, so good. Reckon I'll definitely continue with the series.

GRRM - The Winds of Winter - I'll be taking holidays from work to read this in the days after it's release.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is Stormlight Archive the one with the guy who is missing a hand or missing fingers or something in the first one?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sleepy wrote: »
    GRRM - The Winds of Winter - I'll be taking holidays from work to read this in the days after it's release.
    That'll be a while coming. On the bright side chances are when it's released we'll be in a retirement home where every day's a holiday!

Trojan wrote: »
    • Scott Lynch - The Thorn of Emberlain - Gentleman Bastard #4 (Jul 2016 :))

This title will be auto-delivered to your Kindle on September 22, 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

The hanging tree by Ben Aaronovitch which was meant to be out now but appears to be indefinitely delayed

The next Harry Dresden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

After reading the first 3 books in quick succession - Wrath by John Gwynne. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out :) The ancient language of the giants is very similar to Irish, it makes me wish I paid more attention in school!

I am SHOCKED to find out that Scott Lynch's Thorn of Emberlain won't make its new (updated) release date. Is anyone else SHOCKED?
    SL wrote:
    The release date information in retailer databases is going to do goofy things for a few weeks, because that’s just the way these things work, and there really isn’t anything we can do about it. Please ignore any date you see for the time being. Have a little patience, and we’ll and we’ll have another update soon.

(Hypocrisy alert: if my own publisher is reading this, apologies for being 8 months late on the WordPress book, nearly done - promise!)

Trojan wrote: »
    I am SHOCKED to find out that Scott Lynch's Thorn of Emberlain won't make its new (updated) release date. Is anyone else SHOCKED?
    Well I got it on pre-order so once I see the shipped confirmation I can set my expectations accordingly :)
    (Hypocrisy alert: if my own publisher is reading this, apologies for being 8 months late on the WordPress book, nearly done - promise!)
    Better than my book which stalled and never looks like it will be completed :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

I feel like Ive been waiting for Rothfuss and Martin longer than it took me to get my first kiss :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

apart from Patrick Rothfuss and Brent Weeks, I'm waiting on the Peter v Bretts 'The Core' demoncycle 5.

Will read Cronins latest in the meantime and a few hundred others probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Jim Butcher - Peace Talks An enjoyable series, has its ups and downs but usually well worth a read.

Ian Mc Donald - Wolf Moon A strong first book in this series

James S.A Corey - Babylons Ashes Hoping this will be better than books 4 + 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Alastair Reynolds new book is out the end of next month, and seems to be getting good initial reviews.
    Revenger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Alastair Reynolds new book is out the end of next month, and seems to be getting good initial reviews.
    Revenger

A bit of an unexpected pivot for for Reynolds away from hard SF into young adult, but I suppose thats where the money is these days. Sounds interesting all the same. I hate the name of the book, I will say.

Thanks for the pointer mcgovern

• Advertisement

Oathbringer is on track for the projected release date, typical Sanderson:
    tor.com wrote:
    Brandon Sanderson has completed the first draft of Oathbringer, the forthcoming third volume in his Stormlight Archive series, keeping the novel on track for a fall 2017 release.

The author revealed the big news late last night:

That’s a wrap, folks. Oathbringer is done at 461,223 words. Still much work to do, but we have a first draft. November 2017 release date.

— Brandon Sanderson (@BrandSanderson) December 9, 201

And in other news, Scott Lynch's "Thorn of Emberlain" is getting awesome reviews, a rating of 4.34 out of 5 stars on Goodreads from 910 users. Unfortunately there's no sign of a publication date yet.
    THORN needs an ending written (the ending is outlined in depth, just not yet written) and some targeted rewrites in three or four specific areas, based on vexing but extremely astute criticism from my agent, my genius wife, and a trusted friend. This is my primary job for December.

Advertisement