Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cervical stitch

Options
  • 26-04-2016 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Just spoke with our consultant there. They are concerned I may need a cervical stitch as after several letz treatments my cervix may be compromised. I had a feeling it was coming, but I am so upset. Has anyone any experiences or advice please ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

stickybean wrote: »
    Just spoke with our consultant there. They are concerned I may need a cervical stitch as after several letz treatments my cervix may be compromised. I had a feeling it was coming, but I am so upset. Has anyone any experiences or advice please ?

Not personal experience although I have also had the letz treatments so if I ever want to have a baby I'm in the same boat as yourself.

My friend was told that she was high risk due to the letz treatment but for some reason she wasn't given the stitch. Her baby came over 6 weeks early. He is fine and she is fine but I often wondered would the stitch have made a difference.

Hopefully someone will come along with more info. Talk to your midwife too, I'm sure they've seen it all :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭DaisyDLady

I had a cervical stitch on my last pregnancy due to a previous prem labour.
    honestly its nothing to get upset about.

it takes about 30 mins max to be put in. its put in under epidural. ull be kept in hospital for 24 hours after, and then sent on ur merry way .

the stitch is removed between 36 &37 weeks and wont affect a natural delivery .

id highly recommend it. its a much safer option as opposed to a pre term labour & a prem labour.

Im pregnant again & getting my stitch in Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

My mother in law had a stitch for all her pregnancies and said was absolutely fine. Think of it as a positive thing, it will give you great peace of mind when it's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Thank you for the replies girls, I really appreciate it xxx

I'm meeting the consultant in 2 weeks for a check and he will make a decisions then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I know someone who lost a very much wanted baby at 26 weeks because her consultant refused to put in a stitch despite indications that it could have helped her.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Thanks Lazygal. I think it is just the thought of the whole thing that is upsetting me, but anything to keep this little bean safe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

My friend had to have it and like you she was upset at the thought of it. She has hale and hearty 17 month old twins now though so it did the job!

I know it isn't a nice thought, but if it does the job then it is well worth it.

I don't know anything of the details but I can ask my buddy if there is anything specifically you want to know.

Advertisement