Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 Day Cooling off period, what is correct billing timeline

Options
  • 26-04-2016 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭

This relates to a Virgin Media broadband and phone package.
    I cancelled a NEW contract with them within the 14 day cooling off period and they want a "rental" payment for 30 days from the date of cancellation as they maintain that is how the 14 day cooling off period works. In effect they want 40 days "rental"

I have no issue with paying call costs incurred on the phone.

Would be obliged for any insights please.
    Thanks as always.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its VMI being a bit malicious with cancelling customers. Check out their Talk2 forum for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Yeah, VM have an absolutely absurd policy that requires you to pay up for a 30 day billing period, regardless of what you're actually using or have used, and they then refund you the overpayment later - but only if you request the refund in writing to them.

If you've completely cancelled your services with them, then cancel your direct debit now and pay them nothing until they issue a correct bill - which they will do at the next billing cycle. You could also make a payment for what you owe in the meantime, and you should owe them nothing at the next bill.

It's an absolute pain to deal with them, and their reps are next to useless as they will steadfast refuse to do anything about correcting a false bill, instead insisting that any overpayment will be corrected at the next billing cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks for this.
    I have indeed cancelled the DD and I have a replacement service so I will proceed as you suggest.
    The last time I phoned them I spoke to 11 different people over a 55 minute period.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Thats def not how it works
    you are entitled to cancel without penalty.

when you say a new contract though, were you a brand new customer or an existing customer

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Thats def not how it works
    you are entitled to cancel without penalty.

when you say a new contract though, were you a brand new customer or an existing customer

Existing

I had cancelled an existing contract and that was in process, no issue there.

They then called me up and offered 240 MB, up from 30 on a 12 month [25euro for 6 months/50 for 6 months] contact, which required a new modem which they failed to deliver so I cancelled on day 13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My guess would be that you'd start a new 30 days notice from when you submit the cooling off as the cancellation and the cooling-off for the upgrade are two separate things, in that you would have withdrawn the original cancellation when you took their offer.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    My guess would be that you'd start a new 30 days notice from when you submit the cooling off as the cancellation and the cooling-off for the upgrade are two separate things, in that you would have withdrawn the original cancellation when you took their offer.

Could be except that they didn't send out the kit, anyway lets see.
    Thanks again

Advertisement