Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Wall Paint

Options
  • 26-04-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi
    I am looking for suggestions re what to paint my (small) back garden wall.

Approx. 7 foot high, 3 walls. Looking for a colour and paint brand suggestion if possible!
    Do you have to treat brick prior to painting? Also - want a relatively low maintenance colour - ie I hear white stains easily with rain...

Any advice appreciated!

Maura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

mauraf wrote: »
    Hi

Approx. 7 foot high, 3 walls. Looking for a colour and paint brand suggestion if possible!
    Do you have to treat brick prior to painting? Also - want a relatively low maintenance colour - ie I hear white stains easily with rain...

Any advice appreciated!

Maura

Would need to know environment, state of wall. Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭mauraf

Would need to know environment, state of wall. Any pics?

Thanks ...not allowing me to upload pic at the moment for some reason...
    Wall currently covered with wood slats...but they are becoming rotten...wall underneath from what I can see in 1 section is quite good....smooth enough but it is a bit broken /jagged at the top....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Saw some nice stuff in Aldi today - There was 5 litres masonry external paint for 9.99e

theres even a security paint for external walls . I think it might be slippery when dry

• Registered Users Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've recently repainted my garden (well, big yard, really) in a teracotta colour that I got in B&Q (some standard brand, I have the paint tin up in the attic if you want the name).

When it was first done I was highly sceptical - it just looked a startlingly bright orange when I was used to dull concrete walls - but in fact I love it so didn't change it this time. Looks lovely with all the greenery in the beds, and is really warm-looking even on a crappy wet day.

It was first painted about 7 years ago, and was just looking a bit faded this year, and the north-facing wall was gone a bit mossy, so I decided to redo it, and one coat has it looking fresh again. I hope to get as long out of this one again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

mauraf wrote: »
    Hi

Any advice appreciated!

Maura

cream masonary exterior paint. Cream really brightens up a garden and everything looks good against it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

I dont think it necessary to spend good money on masonry/exterior paint. I have concrete block walls and recently just slung all the remnants of indoor wall paint together and got a decent big pot ... a neutral/cream colour, looks grand. In a month or so the greenery of climbers/creepers will be out. First coat on basic blocks take up a lot of paint. Easier to apply extra coats in later years. If mossy/algae develops, give a quick wash with bleach solution to shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I saw nice cans of exterior cream paint in Aldi today

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

cobham wrote: »
    I dont think it necessary to spend good money on masonry/exterior paint. I have concrete block walls and recently just slung all the remnants of indoor wall paint together and got a decent big pot ... a neutral/cream colour, looks grand. In a month or so the greenery of climbers/creepers will be out. First coat on basic blocks take up a lot of paint. Easier to apply extra coats in later years. If mossy/algae develops, give a quick wash with bleach solution to shift.

I'd be worried it wouldn't be weather proof though-fade in sun, wash/peel off in rain and crack in the cold...

Advertisement