Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare when writing up Thesis

• 26-04-2016 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I'll currently be writing my masters thesis in my own time for the next few months. I'm no longer receiving a stipend so I have to rely on my savings. I've looked for jobs for the past few weeks in my area and general jobs around Cork city but no luck really. I live with a friend and don't want to have him pay some of the rent and bills for me!

I heard from a friend that I can apply for social welfare when doing the thesis write up in my own time. I found this on their site:
    (d) Students completing theses/projects:

The legislation provides for disqualification while attending a full-time day course of study. Third level students who have completed final examinations but are completing theses or projects cannot be regarded as still attending a full-time day course of study and, therefore, cannot be disqualified under this provision. Entitlement may, however, be considered under the availability condition, - Section 141 (4) (c) depending on the degree of commitment to the project/thesis.

(e) Postgraduate (research) students:

Students pursuing a course at Postgraduate level by research only, who do not have fixed lectures or holidays but who work "at their own pace" until the thesis is submitted should have their entitlement examined. Each case should be examined on an individual basis to ensure that the general availability/GSW conditions are satisfied.

Does anybody have experience with this? I'm still technically registered with UCC until I hand in my thesis. Should I put down that I'm still a student on the form? I was receiving a stipend from a research fund but I wasn't "employed" by them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

lordymosh wrote: »
    Hi,

I'll currently be writing my masters thesis in my own time for the next few months. I'm no longer receiving a stipend so I have to rely on my savings. I've looked for jobs for the past few weeks in my area and general jobs around Cork city but no luck really. I live with a friend and don't want to have him pay some of the rent and bills for me!

I heard from a friend that I can apply for social welfare when doing the thesis write up in my own time. I found this on their site:

Does anybody have experience with this? I'm still technically registered with UCC until I hand in my thesis. Should I put down that I'm still a student on the form? I was receiving a stipend from a research fund but I wasn't "employed" by them.

its on a case by case basis.

in general the rule of thumb is, to get job seekers you must be a job seeker, therefore actively seeking work.

As long as you tell them you are looking for work while writing up your thesis they will review it and make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

They will pribably ask for a letter from your college to say your finished so tou may get shafted that wat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

lordymosh wrote: »
    It's a bit of a grey area. As said in what you posted yourself, it depends on how "available" you are to work - only you can answer that.

Advertisement