Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Linux....

Options
  • 26-04-2016 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

So bit of background - I'm a Windows guy, always have been. I've used it for years, supported and deployed it for years, and these days manage teams that do those things... and for the most part it's been a long and happy relationship that has always paid the bills and done what I need it to :)

But with the advent of Win 8.1 and now 10 things have changed somewhat. I'm not convinced by the direction Windows is going, I've no interest in an App Store on my desktop, and the dumbing-down of the whole experience in favour of gaudy tiles or touch-friendly Settings menus is annoying... I'm not saying I want to go back to DOS but Win 7 was just about perfect from a UI perspective :) Plus it'd be nice to get stuck into something new again.

ANYWAY...

I've been looking at various Linux distros (Mint, Ubuntu etc) and reading up a bit as I'm pretty much a newbie and I've been trying to find something that would allow me to replace my current home setup with a linux-based equivalent, namely:

- Domain controller with AD/Group Policy
    - DHCP/DNS
    - User Profile redirection/backup
    - Fileshare/Media Server (Plex)

From looking around I'e found ClearOS which seems to be an equivalent to Windows SBS/Server as an all-in-one solution for Domain/services. I've already seen a YouTube video of how this can be made to act as a Windows-compatible Domain Controller that Windows clients can connect to.

But what if I wanted to use a Linux client as well/instead? Can that be joined to the Domain too? In short, CAN you replace a Windows Domain with a Linux one and has anyone ever done this or am I best sticking with what I have? :)

Thanks in advance for any ideas/feedback :)

Comments

Advertisement