Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 Year Old ACER Aspire V3-772G for Gaming

• 26-04-2016 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hey there. I own an ACER Aspire V3-772G, bought it in the summer of 2014 and I use it regularly to run Photoshop, occasionally After Effects and play games. The only real issues I've had with it have been with the trackpad, everything else has been fine. I'm not completely tech savvy when it comes to hardware and tech specs, so I'd really appreciate some advice.

It gets a bit heated when playing games like Skyrim but has never had any real issues otherwise. I downloaded GTA V over the weekend and got a CPU frequency warning on first load, I got two minutes of gameplay in and my laptop froze, so I opted for a refund. I'm heavily considering buying Rise of the Tomb Raider and I'm wondering if I can expect the same thing? Is it an issue of the laptop being too dated?
    I looked up the tech specs for the game and I can't see any problem, but like I said, i'm not savvy with this stuff so I'm ultimately just comparing numbers. I rely on my laptop for digital drawing but mostly for gaming/media and I'm just wondering if I should consider saving for an upgrade or if she can support graphic-heavy games for a little longer?

The specs for the laptop are:
    Windows 8
    Intel® Core™ i7-4712MQ processor Quad-core 2.20 GHz
    17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M with 2 GB Dedicated Memory
    8 GB, DDR3L SDRAM
    1 TB HDD

Thanks a million in advance! Hope it isn't too stupid of a question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭melissavm

The specs for Rise of the Tomb Raider:

Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 or AMD equivalent
    Memory: 6 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 650 2GB or AMD HD7770 2GB
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 25 GB available space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The laptop is perfectly fine for games hardwise wise, it's overheating and shutting down to prevent damage which is why you're getting a shutdown.

Either clogged with dust, or needs to be opened and cleaned and fresh thermal paste applied due to a shoddy job done in the first place. Get an air duster and blast the exhausts on the laptop - though dust would seem unlikely at that age.

The second job you can do yourself for a few euro or else get it done at a PC repair place, just go somewhere reputable. Not sure how much they'd charge. It's not a difficult or complex job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To add to what TF said above, if you happened to be gaming on your bed/couch/lap then don't. For good cooling you need it on a hard surface.

Advertisement