Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assistance with Business Plan, Writing

Options
  • 26-04-2016 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi All,

Hopefully somewhere he can help me

I have the makings of a business plan but i need help (Paid) assistance in scripting and putting it together. Im a toolmaker not a business plan creator, nor am I a copywriter, business guru or a marketeer. I have all the information in my head but need someone to put it down on paper, I have tried countless times but cannot do it and I need to have this done.

I am looking for someone who has been successful with Enterprise Ireland, can write or has written business plans and can offer their services. Ideally, I am looking for someone who will meet with me and i can dictate my business too and they can put together the plan

The LEO wont help unless I have the business plan finished, already tried them, went to their workshops and still have nothing. This is why its frustrating and I feel like I'm on a constant cycle.

If you or someone you know can do this, send me a PM.

Many thanks in advance. With respect Im not looking for advice, help or a template of how to do this myself, Im more than willing to pay for someones time to do this for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

Hi there is a good template available on enterprise Ireland as well as an example of a complete template, just google " enterprise Ireland business plan template," Give it a go yourself first and have it proof read , if you have no luck there are many sme consultants who will take on the job for you.

Best of luck with your venture

EDIT : I misread your post I didnt see that you were not looking for template, apologies. Your best option would be a sme consultant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

As an employee I was involved in many start-ups for which I wrote business plans. Then I did one for myself when I went out on my own. Each time I was forced to focus critically on the business and every time I discovered something new.

In any new business you will encounter lots of things you do not like/fully understand/whatever, but you need to face up to and overcome them. A business plan is just the first of them.

I cannot urge you strongly enough to just go get a template and start writing. It is the only way to understand the integral parts of the business plan and what will be your livelihood.

It does not have to be perfect, but the discipline of doing it will aid you enormously. It also will cut the price of any SME guy you go to eventually to polish it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gerryhide

I cannot urge you strongly enough to just go get a template and start writing.

Thanks for the advice but its not something i can do, i have tried and tried. Now i looking for professional services.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Duckett

pedroeibar1 is correct - you have to fully own your business plan and it shouldn't really be prepared by a third party. If unable to write then find a trusted friend prepared to commit your plan to paper in a structured format. The discipline will task you in a constructive way to think through every aspect. You obviously have a draft already which is a start. I have seen plans prepared by third parties (at great cost!!) that were simply put in a drawer and totally forgotten. Don't waste scarce funds on fees ..... maybe your accountant can help with the financials .....

Duckett wrote: »
    If unable to write then find a trusted friend prepared to commit your plan to paper in a structured format.

why would i not find a professional who has experience of doing this and instead try and seek a friend who has no experience but might be better than me at writing?, all it is is taking my words and putting on paper in the correct format and also so im not missing anything and that the language used is correct

• Advertisement

If unable to write then find a trusted friend prepared to commit your plan to paper in a structured format.

why would i not find a professional who has experience of doing this and instead try and seek a friend who has no experience but might be better than me at writing?, all it is is taking my words and putting on paper in the correct format and also so im not missing anything and that everything is correct

also trying to get a friend to assist you with something like this is a nightmare.

I understand a lot here are experienced business people who may have written dozens of plans, its just something I cant do.

You could try your local FAS or whatever they are called now.

You could try your local FAS or whatever they are called now.

in my original post
    The LEO wont help unless I have the business plan finished, already tried them, went to their workshops and still have nothing.

Gerryhide wrote: »
    in my original post
    The LEO wont help unless I have the business plan finished, already tried them, went to their workshops and still have nothing.

Soz Didn't know who LEO were!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The writing part of the plan itself is the easy part, it's mostly finger in the air stuff and a lot of it built on assumptions. You can get someone to help tidy it up visably but that's all going to come from your head.
    The one part that really matters is the cash flow forecast, break it out month by month for the first 12mts and then by quarter or year after that. If you can do the first 12mts cash flow yourself the rest will all start falling together. Breakdown as far as you can, stationery, marketing, accountants fees, interest on bank loan etc itemise it all. Then see where you end up as that will form the basis of the plan you write.

• Advertisement

why would i not find a professional who has experience of doing this .............so im not missing anything and that everything is correct......I understand a lot here are experienced business people who may have written dozens of plans, its just something I cant do.

Out of curiosity, how much are you budgeting for the fee and how long do you think it would take? Approximate / ranges of figures would do.

Out of curiosity, how much are you budgeting for the fee and how long do you think it would take? Approximate / ranges of figures would do.

Hopefully less than a month, costs I have a few of quotes from companies already ranging from €500-€5000. Hoping to find someone who can handhold me through the process and costs depend on their level of experience, their success with government depts, their expertise and their level of service, I would expect their price to match this criteria.

If no one here can do this thats fine, i was just hoping someone might know someone or could point me to someone who can.

Hopefully less than a month, costs I have a few of quotes from companies already ranging from €500-€5000. Hoping to find someone who can handhold me through the process and costs depend on their level of experience, their success with government depts, their expertise and their level of service, I would expect their price to match this criteria.

In your position I would not touch anyone that quoted below 1500. Nor could I see anyone good/professional accepting a fee based on expected success with govt. depts. - it is your plan/idea/business model after all, their job is just to put what you tell them down on paper. That really would be the crux - anyone any good would see any errors and realise straightoff that the business model needs changing, tell you that, then the falling-out would start.......
    Why don't you ask your LEO contact to recommend a mentor?

Nor could I see anyone good/professional accepting a fee based on expected success with govt. depts.

Their experience of this would be a requirement, not my expected success
    Why don't you ask your LEO contact to recommend a mentor?

Per first post - you should try and meet with these "mentors" to see what level they are at

I did, I met with one who asked me to show him a business plan based on their template which I didn't have because i cant write one.

The circle continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ogogo

Gerry, where are you based and roughly in a line or 2 what is your business?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Duckett

the underlying concern is the absence here of a team - if a promoter can't pull together a basic plan then what hope is there that the business can expand

Gerry - as Ogogo asked above - it would be helpful to get a few lines either here or by PM on the business.

the underlying concern is the absence here of a team - if a promoter can't pull together a basic plan then what hope is there that the business can expand

Again Per my original post - I have a basic plan already done but needed it written into a proper business plan. Your right.. I dont have a team around me, Im not an expert, Im out on my own and maybe my business with completely flop which is why I was seeking professional assistance so I dont submit a poorly written business plan.

if I cant do my accounts, Ill hire an accountant. If I cant write a business plan, I should not do anything?

Posting up 2 or 3 lines will not get me any further than my original question. I'm now engaging with an experienced business consultant (not from here) so no need for the advice thanks.

........... I have a basic plan already done but needed it written into a proper business plan. ......

In fairness GerryH, that is not what was coming across from what you had written earlier. Hopefully you will get what you expect from the consultant at a fair price.
    Do not get too fixated on having the business plan too perfect. The biggest failures I have encountered always had the best business plans – beautifully presented, ring binders, colored tabs, multiple cash/sales/P&L scenarios, etc. It does not matter a f#rt if the plan is beautiful; what is critical to the success of your business is a quality product and your skill in continuously bringing it to the right people at the right price. Dig really deep into the financials with your expert while you have him/her. For your VC / bank meetings you should fully understand your cash-flow for the first few years – the cash-flow will be critical.
    Best of luck with the new venture.

Advertisement