Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Sterling Cheque

• 26-04-2016 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭

Wife just got a sterling cheque through in her name from the HMRC.. Overpaid taxes from a few years back.

Our current account is with KBC and is a Euro denominated account. They won't do anything for us except to post it back to us in a nice watermarked envelope.

Do we have any mechanism by which this can be cashed in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Seriously?? That's ridiculous!

Even PTSB will process GBP cheques into your EUR account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

lawred2 wrote: »
    Wife just got a sterling cheque through in her name from the HMRC.. Overpaid taxes from a few years back.

Our current account is with KBC and is a Euro denominated account. They won't do anything for us except to post it back to us in a nice watermarked envelope.

Do we have any mechanism by which this can be cashed in Ireland?
    I've a sterling acc with my local TSB, I usually lodge it there until it clears and then take out sterling in cash for when I travel there. It's handier than leaving it around the house where it's usually forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've deposited sterling cheques with AIB no problem, they do the conversion on the day and issue you with a euro amount receipt detailing the converted amount minus commission and this amount is deposited in your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Her Mum lives over there so obv has a sterling account.. but third party cheques are a thing of the past right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've deposited sterling cheques with AIB no problem, they do the conversion on the day and issue you with a euro amount receipt detailing the converted amount minus commission and this amount is deposited in your account.

Yes but AIB does currency exchange. As do BOI and PTSB (I.e most banks)

KBC do not.

So we're stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Alternatively you could open a monese acc into which sterling checks could be lodged. Then use an online currency exchange to move it to Euros.

Sounds like a pain in the ass but if its a regular thing it save a load.

Advertisement