Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun licence question

Options
  • 26-04-2016 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

In process of filling out firearm form and was wondering if I put target shooting can i then use it to hunt with permission from landowner.do I need to reapply to gardai move post if necessary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

I think this one of those grey areas in the law.

Some say once you have your certificate you can use it for any legal purpose, hunting, targets etc.

Others say you can only use it for the purpose you stated.

Your best bet is to tick all the boxes in the form, so tick hunting, target, pest control.

Ask the guards just to be sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When you apply you must declare the reasons you intend to use the gun for. So if it's target shooting and hunting you tick target shooting and hunting boxes in section 4.2 of the FCA1.

You must then show membership details of the range to fulfill the target shooting aspect, and permissions or gun club membership to fulfill the hunting aspect of the application.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭lcasey90

Thanks for reply was thinking that just seen a post on another old thread that someone said it's primary use not sole use. It's for shotgun I'm looking to get licence for. By any chance do you know how much membership is for range club is Il be doing clay shooting and hunting someone Said clays aren't classed as either target nor Hunting on licence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Cass wrote: »
    When you apply you must declare the reasons you intend to use the gun for. So if it's target shooting and hunting you tick target shooting and hunting boxes in section 4.2 of the FCA1.

You must then show membership details of the range to fulfill the target shooting aspect, and permissions or gun club membership to fulfill the hunting aspect of the application.

Cass I'd question this one, if you tick the three boxes and say provide your two permissions for hunting I've never known anyone that was then required to also produce membership to a range for the target part. Speaking about shotguns & rifles here as pistols are a difference beast.
    Ive taken your statement to mean you need both and not one or the other.

lcasey90 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply was thinking that just seen a post on another old thread that someone said it's primary use not sole use.
    The old PC20 form was no where near as detailed as the new FCA1 so that might have been the reason. However the new FCA1 has hunting and target shooting so its either one or the other or both. IOW its not a single option.
    It's for shotgun I'm looking to get licence for. By any chance do you know how much membership is for range club is Il be doing clay shooting and hunting someone Said clays aren't classed as either target nor Hunting on licence
    There is a list of rifle and clay pigeon ranges under my posts. Just click on the link and it'll give the details of all ranges, fees, locations, etc.
    hexosan wrote: »
    Cass I'd question this one, ...........
    Target shooting can only be done on an authorised range. To claim you intend to target shoot you need to be a member of a range. If people you know ticked this box and were not a member of a range or ticked the box, were a member and did not have to produce membership details then the Garda in question was incompetent in their duties.

Everytime i've applied i've had to provide details of the range, my membership number, and the range pulse ID as per section 4.3 of the FCA1.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Target shooting can only be done on an authorised range. To claim you intend to target shoot you need to be a member of a range. If people you know ticked this box and were not a member of a range or ticked the box, were a member and did not have to produce membership details then the Garda in question was incompetent in their duties

I'm aware target shooting can only be done on an authorised range but you don't have to be a member to shoot on a range you can attend as a guest.

But when applying for a license and claiming to do target shooting they will ask for membership. There is no day membership, and a guest is not a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭hermes2011

you can attend as a guest but the garda will ask for membership if you put down target shooting . you can get shotgun on land permission alone but must be over a certain acres and you need two

But when applying for a license and claiming to do target shooting they will ask for membership. There is no day membership, and a guest is not a member.

Primary purpose is hunting

Secondary purpose is the intention to partake in target shooting. Obviously if your continue with the target shooting aspect you'd have to get membership of an authorised range but I can't see how it's a prerequisite when applying.

Gardai issue the Licences it's up to us to make sure we're legal, I'd take from this that if you chose to do target shooting at a later date you'd have the relevant membership in place.

hermes2011 wrote: »
    you can attend as a guest but the garda will ask for membership if you put down target shooting . you can get shotgun on land permission alone but must be over a certain acres and you need two

Also incorrect you can technically still get a limited licence on the fca1, if you tick vermin control and list your own land be it 1acre or a 1000 acres. You don't need to have two permissions.
    But that licence once issued will confine you to shooting only on your own land.

• Advertisement

.............. someone Said clays aren't classed as either target nor Hunting on licence
    Technically correct.

Clay pigeon shooting is not classed as target shooting hence clay pigeon ranges don't need range authorisation as a rifle range would.

As for hunting, nope. Clay pigeons are, well, clay pigeons. Not vermin, game, etc.
    .......... but must be over a certain acres and you need two
    For a full license. You can get a Limited Firearms Certificate on your own land for a shotgun only. Also this thing about certain acreage, where is that from?
    hexosan wrote:
    Secondary purpose is the intention to partake in target shooting.
    You don't a gun license on what you may do. If you intend to do target shooting you will be asked for membership. If you say you're not a member of a range, but might join later on, then they'll tell you to apply when you are a member, and process the application on the merits of using it for hunting only.

Technically correct.

Clay pigeon shooting is not classed as target shooting hence clay pigeon ranges don't need range authorisation as a rifle range would.

As for hunting, nope. Clay pigeons are, well, clay pigeons. Not vermin, game, etc.

For a full license. You can get a Limited Firearms Certificate on your own land for a shotgun only. Also this thing about certain acreage, where is that from?

You don't a gun license on what you may do. If you intend to do target shooting you will be asked for membership. If you say you're not a member of a range, but might join later on, then they'll tell you to apply when you are a member, and process the application on the merits of using it for hunting only.

At least we agree on something :D

Makes a change, :D :cool:

there are certain supers that will not issue licences on land less than 5 acres - unless you own the land, its not a lot to hunt on. If you get the licence for hunting you have three years to join a clay pigeon club before your renewal, but the gardai will check your membership. Don't put target shooting down unless you intend on joining a club

there are certain supers that will not issue licences on land less than 5 acres - ...........
    I'm not trying to catch you out or be a dick, but where is this coming from along with the two permissions of a certain size (not the two permissions bit, the size bit).

I don't know of any legislation that states a specific amount of land.

as I said the supers are a law onto themselves, that's what my super required from me and I have been doing quite a bit of hunting over the years, requests made even at renewals. land permissions checked everytime. maybe its because I shoot CF rifles.

Thanks for help guys also I have one permission for land of 30 acres but it's 40 min drive away and I live in and estate in a town I presume this isn't a problem? In process of trying to get second permission. And when I get a licence for hunting am I free to hunt lands with verbal permission or do I need to inform super?

Thanks for help guys also I have one permission for land of 30 acres but it's 40 min drive away and I live in and estate in a town I presume this isn't a problem? In process of trying to get second permission. And when I get a licence for hunting am I free to hunt lands with verbal permission or do I need to inform super?

Once you provide the two permissions you can hunt anywhere you have verbal permission after that. The distance of your permissions from where you live isn't a problem.

Does the land being rented matter one of my permissions is renting land

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Does the land being rented matter one of my permissions is renting land

It shouldn't do. The renter is in charge of the land while he rents it.

The Gardai might ring the person that you name as giving you permission, and all he has to do is say where the land is and if he gave you permission or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement