Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative VDSL2 Modem (bridge)

Options
  • 26-04-2016 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi All.
    Has anyone used a VDSL2 Modem with a good Ethernet Router behind it?

I have my Eircom F1000 in bridge mode, but it gives problems.

Have heard that the Draytek Vigor 130 is the Dog's dangly bits, but it's also brutally expensive.

Can a BT Openreach Modem (ECI) be used on an Eircom VDSL2 line, or are they locked to BT UK service?

Has anyone successfully unlocked one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Vectoring and/or line performance has been an issue with 3rd party modems. F1000 bridged should be ok, what's the issue?

BT have a mix of Huawei and ECI DSLAMS, not sure if their CPE varies per area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I have the Vigor 130 and it works perfect except for Vectoring not working, I'm dealing with Draytek support to hopefully get it fixed, I have to run a diagnostic on the modem and send them the log shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 PorridgeHead

My service goes down regularly, requiring the F1000 to be turned off/on. Usually happens on a weekend, but not always.
    Thing is that then I have to access the Firewall/Router admin panel and renew the IP manually.
    If I'm not here, the Wife and Kids can't do it.
    As it is in Bridge Mode with a non-eir piece of kit behind it, eir won't trouble shoot it to conclusion.
    Eir just tell me to restore the router to default Routing mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're sure its a modem lockup then just insist they send you a 2000. Really though the F1000 is a decent unit, just dire wifi performance so personally I'd check that its actually it acting up and not a dodgy DSL link. If DSL goes down some FWs won't auto release as they aren't aware of the relink like the modem itself.

Advertisement