Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay parking Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is pinned there now.
    As much as I hate paid parking ,it is near impossible to get parking in Maynooth during the day and people park everywhere and anywhere incl in yellow boxes so hopefully it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

There goes my entire driving lifespan of parking wherever I damn chose in the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Is it 8:30 to 6:30 for the operational hours of the pay parking? I had a quick look through the documents but couldn't confirm this is correct, only that it is what they define as "business hours".

Maynooth definitely needs pay parking as its a disaster zone for cars abandoned everywhere for hours on end. Limiting it to 1 hour max stay in some places seems a bit excessive though does it? One the main attractions to the town would have been its restaurants I thought and 1 hour might be cutting it close for people coming in to get food during the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Finally. This was the reason they introduced permit parking on the college campus 4 years ago. Maynooth is pretty small, if people don't want to pay they can park up at tesco and walk down town. Though I'd say it will make the train station car parks a disaster from now on as lots of people parked on the main street and walked to the station in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tesco will inevitably go 2 hour or CCTV enforced no leaving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Limiting it to 1 hour max stay in some places seems a bit excessive though does it? One the main attractions to the town would have been its restaurants I thought and 1 hour might be cutting it close for people coming in to get food during the day?

I dunno, the one hour limit seems to only be on the main street, which I think is fine. That should only be for people popping in to specific shops, and will keep the changeover of cars reasonable.

Everywhere else is longer, so people going for food can just park somewhere off the main street, like they're prob doing already, at a supermarket car park or in one of the 3 hour spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

This will be a disaster for the small, residential streets near the town centre. They will either be flooded with commuters from morning to night or they will be included in the parking pay or permit scheme.

My view is that it would be enough to introduce a time limit and to police it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

They're mostly included in it, from what I can see. They have 3 hour parking limits.

I'd imagine the residents will be able to apply for permits, especially the ones facing directly on to roads like the little cottages by Charter House. Only guessing at that though

They're all included and residents can get permits

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Is it 8:30 to 6:30 for the operational hours of the pay parking? I had a quick look through the documents but couldn't confirm this is correct, only that it is what they define as "business hours".

Yes
    "Business Hours" means the following period:

from 8.30 am to 6.30 pm (08.30 to 18.30) on each day other than Sunday or a Public Holiday

• Advertisement

I just checked on line and the street I live on is just outside the controlled area. To return to my original point, we will now see a surge of people parking here in order to avoid the parking charges. We already have parents using the street when dropping of and collecting the kids. This will only get worse.

For every action there is an equal and opposite worse outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I just checked on line and the street I live on is just outside the controlled area. To return to my original point, we will now see a surge of people parking here in order to avoid the parking charges. We already have parents using the street when dropping of and collecting the kids. This will only get worse.

For every action there is an equal and opposite worse outcome.

Unfortunately, residents don't own a public road or street. Anyone is allowed park there, unless there are restrictions.

If it was me, I'd get before and after information pictures etc. to prove a point, if there is one to make.

HonalD wrote: »
    Unfortunately, residents don't own a public road or street. Anyone is allowed park there, unless there are restrictions.

If it was me, I'd get before and after information pictures etc. to prove a point, if there is one to make.

Understood and agreed. However is a bit of a downer when you select a place to live because is quiet only to find it is overrun with cars due to a council decision.

You could have requested it to be included when the plans went on display years ago

If the estate isn't taken in charge they can't include it

L1011 wrote: »
    You could have requested it to be included when the plans went on display years ago

If the estate isn't taken in charge they can't include it

The plans predate my arrival in Maynooth.

The issue could be avoided if the council were to provide decent of street parking. Sorry, I just realised just how stupid that sounds. Next I will be asking for them deliver a viable bypass for the town. Now that's funny.

They're going to charge for off-street also so that won't defer freeloaders

A ~200 space carpark should be open on doctors lane soon and the one at the roost never fills up.

If you want the area extended, make representations to councillors for the next review

L1011 wrote: »
    They're going to charge for off-street also so that won't defer freeloaders

A ~200 space carpark should be open on doctors lane soon and the one at the roost never fills up.

If you want the area extended, make representations to councillors for the next review

Good point. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

On the plans, it says that new car park on doctors lane is a private car park, is this going to be left private or will it be public eventually once completed?

On the plans, it says that new car park on doctors lane is a private car park, is this going to be left private or will it be public eventually once completed?

Remain private - its connected to some extent to the Oak Alley / Mroz building development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

They'll all be around the same price for the day in the big carparks. Supervalue public space will also be a charge.

If you want yellow lines put down, ask your councillor. It can be done outside review I believe, which isn't for 3yrs. Once they're there, they won't be moves though.

You could always chance a bit of white paint with a P for private.

Apcoa are the ticket issuers and they make their money by issuing tickets.

I know residents of various estates are up in arms about it Rail Park, Lyreen, Pebble Hill and the back lanes. Understand the estates as people who dodge payment will go there. Back lanes, I get their concerns but it should free things up for them and they get a permit for 5€ per annum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

a 200 space car park on a one way narrow street - yes that's a well thought out idea.
    ixus wrote: »
    They'll all be around the same price for the day in the big carparks. Supervalue public space will also be a charge.

If you want yellow lines put down, ask your councillor. It can be done outside review I believe, which isn't for 3yrs. Once they're there, they won't be moves though.

You could always chance a bit of white paint with a P for private.

Apcoa are the ticket issuers and they make their money by issuing tickets.

I know residents of various estates are up in arms about it Rail Park, Lyreen, Pebble Hill and the back lanes. Understand the estates as people who dodge payment will go there. Back lanes, I get their concerns but it should free things up for them and they get a permit for 5€ per annum.

ya it's a pain in the hole. I am looking forward to some of the comical notes one of my neighbours will be leaving on cars in my estate.

It's meant to also have entry/exits via the council carpark at SuperValu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

hopefully they do something about the light sequence coming out of there so, as there's already cars snaking all the way around Supervalu and the down behind the Leisure Club building in the evenings....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭brian_t

Rathkenny wrote: »
    I see from the Maynooth Notice Boards Facebook group that pay parking is starting on 27th May.
    Fines for illegal parking wont start until 2 weeks later.

For the first fortnight offenders will only get a warning notice.

Pay for the parking or settle for a warning notice - hmm - decisions decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

hopefully they do something about the light sequence coming out of there so, as there's already cars snaking all the way around Supervalu and the down behind the Leisure Club building in the evenings....

I believe there is a plan for a left turning filter coming out of glenroyal, when traffic from Straffan direction are turning in.

shoehorn wrote: »
    I believe there is a plan for a left turning filter coming out of glenroyal, when traffic from Straffan direction are turning in.

Yes, its a condition of the impending hotel expansion due to McGinley submitting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

shoehorn wrote: »

About bloody time. I wrote to the council years ago about putting that. The response I got was pure comedy. They wouldn't put in a left filter because:
    1) it would entail traffic turning left into oncoming traffic. My response that this would only be the case if people turned on the wrong side of the road went unanswered.
    2) That the entire traffic light system in the town would need to be recalibrated to cater for it. I called bull on that too - it would just involve the left turn light going on when the right turn light came on - no recalibration required. Also went unanswered.

Traffic management in this town is a joke. At current count there are 10 sets of pedestrian/traffic lights between Maxol and the college. Ridiculous.

Orion wrote: »
    About bloody time. I wrote to the council years ago about putting that. The response I got was pure comedy. They wouldn't put in a left filter because:
    1) it would entail traffic turning left into oncoming traffic. My response that this would only be the case if people turned on the wrong side of the road went unanswered.
    2) That the entire traffic light system in the town would need to be recalibrated to cater for it. I called bull on that too - it would just involve the left turn light going on when the right turn light came on - no recalibration required. Also went unanswered.

Traffic management in this town is a joke. At current count there are 10 sets of pedestrian/traffic lights between Maxol and the college. Ridiculous.

You can drive from maynooth to Belfast/Westport/Cork with less traffic lights that to drive from moygalre to maxol.

Double yellows went up on the dunboyne road last night, i wonder if it will help people with their inability to not park in the middle of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

lordgoat wrote: »
    Double yellows went up on the dunboyne road last night, i wonder if it will help people with their inability to not park in the middle of the road.

No, they're still invisible yellows! Schools traffic still parks there, doesn't help for traffic as blind corner, and bad esp at school times when kids could just walk onto the road unknowingly. Dangerous spot. Sometimes I wonder why there are spots around that area also as sometimes there is only enough room for one car at some sections of that stretch of road!

Advertisement