Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay parking Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The traffic light system is non-existent! The nightmare of a right turn from Straffan Wood onto Straffan Road would so easily be solved by just syncing the lights on either side. All you need is a few seconds to get out, but no, that'd be too easy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

lordgoat wrote: »
    You can drive from maynooth to Belfast/Westport/Cork with less traffic lights that to drive from moygalre to maxol.

Whilst that is valid, what point are you making? County Leitrim has no signals and County Roscommon has 2-3. Are you planning on moving there over the issue?

Should there be no traffic lights in Maynooth? Less? Where would you remove them? What will pedestrians do if lights are removed? What will people with disabilities do? What will motorists do trying to exit side roads?

Please also consider the amount of vehicular and pedestrian traffic in Maynooth, the attractors for journeys and the need for parents of children to drive to the gates of schools twice a day.

If you can find any current Government guidelines or standards that back up your thoughts then feel free to post. (Memo to self, after drinking bottle of wine, must try not to post on boards)

Dolbert wrote: »
    The traffic light system is non-existent! The nightmare of a right turn from Straffan Wood onto Straffan Road would so easily be solved by just syncing the lights on either side. All you need is a few seconds to get out, but no, that'd be too easy...

I don't understand how "syncing" the lights at Lidl and Maxol is possible? And if you are asking to hold up traffic on the Straffan Road to the benefit of a side road then run for the hills, I don't see too much support coming on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

HonalD wrote: »
    Whilst that is valid, what point are you making? County Leitrim has no signals and County Roscommon has 2-3. Are you planning on moving there over the issue?

Should there be no traffic lights in Maynooth? Less? Where would you remove them? What will pedestrians do if lights are removed? What will people with disabilities do? What will motorists do trying to exit side roads?

Please also consider the amount of vehicular and pedestrian traffic in Maynooth, the attractors for journeys and the need for parents of children to drive to the gates of schools twice a day.

If you can find any current Government guidelines or standards that back up your thoughts then feel free to post. (Memo to self, after drinking bottle of wine, must try not to post on boards)

There is a stupid number of traffic lights in Maynooth for the size of the town. I'd remove plenty of them - starting with the ones at the Glenroyal. There was never a problem entering or exiting there until the lights went in - people used common decency to allow traffic in and out.

Get rid of all traffic lights from Lidl to Manor Mills - just leave the pedestrian lights which are triggered by pedestrians actually wanting to cross the road rather than timed traffic lights which cause congestion. That would leave demand-controlled lights at Kingsbry, Maxol, train station, Glenroyal, Main St. - BoI, Main St. - Roost, Mill St - Manor Mills. Half the amount there currently are and only activated on button press. Tbh if people weren't such blind assholes in cars you could even replace some of them with pelican crossings.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/12118903/Four-in-every-five-sets-of-traffic-lights-should-be-removed-report-claims.html
    http://thecityfix.com/blog/naked-streets-without-traffic-lights-improve-flow-and-safety/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1028740/Accident-free-zone-The-German-town-scrapped-traffic-lights-road-signs.html

I don't understand how "syncing" the lights at Lidl and Maxol is possible? And if you are asking to hold up traffic on the Straffan Road to the benefit of a side road then run for the hills, I don't see too much support coming on this thread.

Straffan Wood is actually supposed to be a link road to divert traffic from the town - not a side road. But joined up thinking is not part of Kildare's traffic management.

• Advertisement

It's the only way through for anyone on that side of town apart from Bond Bridge. I'm talking about sequencing a few seconds where the lights at Lidl and the lights at Kingsbry are red at the same time. But yeah, I probably won't find much support given that you wouldn't be aware of the extent of the issue unless you live on that side of town and need to use that junction daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's the only way through for anyone on that side of town apart from Bond Bridge. I'm talking about sequencing a few seconds where the lights at Lidl and the lights at Kingsbry are red at the same time. But yeah, I probably won't find much support given that you wouldn't be aware of the extent of the issue unless you live on that side of town and need to use that junction daily.

KCCs (previous?) traffic engineer took away any form of non-pedestrian activation of the Kingsbry lights giving an absolutely wittery response about safety that made no sense to anyone but himself and despite councillor demands to revert to what was there before. So they're unlikely to change.

L1011 wrote: »
    KCCs (previous?) traffic engineer took away any form of non-pedestrian activation of the Kingsbry lights giving an absolutely wittery response about safety that made no sense to anyone but himself and despite councillor demands to revert to what was there before. So they're unlikely to change.

It's silly, if done right it wouldn't need to disrupt traffic at all.

Orion wrote: »
    There is a stupid number of traffic lights in Maynooth for the size of the town. I'd remove plenty of them - starting with the ones at the Glenroyal. There was never a problem entering or exiting there until the lights went in - people used common decency to allow traffic in and out.

Get rid of all traffic lights from Lidl to Manor Mills - just leave the pedestrian lights which are triggered by pedestrians actually wanting to cross the road rather than timed traffic lights which cause congestion. That would leave demand-controlled lights at Kingsbry, Maxol, train station, Glenroyal, Main St. - BoI, Main St. - Roost, Mill St - Manor Mills. Half the amount there currently are and only activated on button press. Tbh if people weren't such blind assholes in cars you could even replace some of them with pelican crossings.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/12118903/Four-in-every-five-sets-of-traffic-lights-should-be-removed-report-claims.html
    http://thecityfix.com/blog/naked-streets-without-traffic-lights-improve-flow-and-safety/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1028740/Accident-free-zone-The-German-town-scrapped-traffic-lights-road-signs.html

Did you read my post? You seem to have ignored the bits that are unanswerable.

So there are no Government Guidelines or standards to back up mass removal of traffic lights in Maynooth. There are no guidelines or standards period in Ireland to back up this opinion. Given our legislation it is practically impossible to remove them.

You mention "common decency" regarding traffic exiting the Glen Royal Hotel. I'm sorry but, exceptions apart, that phrase couldn't be applied to motorists in Ireland. But how would it work? So I'm waiting to turn right towards the Square from the exit. I must spot a gap in the traffic going towards the Square, coming from the Square and traffic wanting to turn right into the hotel etc. (3 separate movements ) Oh, don't forget the pedestrians who will be permitted to cross the junction at any angle they please. Oh and cyclists and watch out for the man in the motorised wheelchair or the lady with the double buggy.......how can anyone think that this is a safe arrangement? And then we repeat this at every junction.

I'm sorry to burst the bubble but Traffic lights serve a number of purposes:

1. Provide priority (to a side road when the main road does not permit gaps in the traffic) and (to the main road but providing extra green light times at peak times).
    2. Allow orderly movement of traffic movements (the opposite of a free for all at priority junctions)
    3. Are safer than priority junctions
    4. Provide safe facilities for vulnerable road users
    5. When sited close together, provide the progression of traffic through an area (e.g. Turning left from Straffan Road and turning right towards Moyglare Road junction.)

Populist horse manure is just that.

Straffan Wood is actually supposed to be a link road to divert traffic from the town - not a side road. But joined up thinking is not part of Kildare's traffic management.

It is a side road currently, is it not?

• Advertisement

The distance between the two lights is too far to link. Also, pelican lights (at Kingsbury) do not go red unless the button has been activated.

I have sympathy for residents in this area, my point was that others want to remove all lights and the problems for motorists and pedestrians currently at this junction would be replicated at all the other "removed" locations.

I may be pedantic but.....lights for pedestrians are for pedestrians and lights for traffic are for traffic. I'm not aware of any legal method of controlling traffic through pelican lights but I'm open to learning more about it.

I may be pedantic but.....lights for pedestrians are for pedestrians and lights for traffic are for traffic. I'm not aware of any legal method of controlling traffic through pelican lights but I'm open to learning more about it.

It is pedantic - they're all forms of traffic signal.

Traffic detector loops are used all over the world to set off a pedestrian set adjacent to the junction - it allows turns on the direction that the pedestrian aspect is not on.

No. Signed route to Rathcoffey from much of the town. Was the sole route for ~2 years during the Bond Bridge replacement.

It is pedantic - they're all forms of traffic signal.

Traffic detector loops are used all over the world to set off a pedestrian set adjacent to the junction - it allows turns on the direction that the pedestrian aspect is not on.

No. Signed route to Rathcoffey from much of the town. Was the sole route for ~2 years during the Bond Bridge replacement.

I'm not sure you're agreeing with my pedantic comment?

Take a look at the Traffic Signs Manual (DoE) and the Traffic Management Guidelines (DTO) and come back and show me where the provision of "false" red lights at pelican crossings to assist vehicular traffic from housing estates are permitted in Ireland.

The commentary that there are examples in other countries doesn't mean it's legally possible to do it in Ireland. (Or that we should do it).

With regard to the Link Road, it is a Local road and Straffan Road is a Regional road.........there is a priority junction so how can it not be a side road?

I'm not sure you're agreeing with my pedantic comment?

Take a look at the Traffic Signs Manual (DoE) and the Traffic Management Guidelines (DTO) and come back and show me where the provision of "false" red lights at pelican crossings to assist vehicular traffic from housing estates are permitted in Ireland.

The commentary that there are examples in other countries doesn't mean it's legally possible to do it in Ireland. (Or that we should do it).

With regard to the Link Road, it is a Local road and Straffan Road is a Regional road.........there is a priority junction so how can it not be a side road?

I was agreeing that you were being pedantic - nothing else.

Lack of presence in guidelines != illegal. You would need actual legislation (statue or statutory) for it to be illegal.

And you are now being about as pedantic as possible. It is a signed alternate route for an R road - most people would take your repeated use of "side road" to suggest it was a very minor (in terms of traffic before you have another pedantic-attack) road.

As it happens, the nonsense reason I was given was about safety, not legality. It would take only the intellect of a small child to work out that "it would be dangerous for people on the crossing" to realise that if that was the case, it would be dangerous for all people using the crossing. Never got a response after that, surprisingly.

County Leitrim has no signals

Only because they converted them to a beacon crossing, though

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.9433934,-8.0948231,3a,75y,99.89h,75.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s44YxZaSc2Y1vxv_brtTv8A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en (then change to the 2014 view)

Did you read my post? You seem to have ignored the bits that are unanswerable.
    I did indeed and did answer it. However based on some of the below you obviously didn't read mine.
    So there are no Government Guidelines or standards to back up mass removal of traffic lights in Maynooth. There are no guidelines or standards period in Ireland to back up this opinion. Given our legislation it is practically impossible to remove them.
    Then why has it been done. In Leitrim, Longford, and other counties.
    You mention "common decency" regarding traffic exiting the Glen Royal Hotel. I'm sorry but, exceptions apart, that phrase couldn't be applied to motorists in Ireland. But how would it work? So I'm waiting to turn right towards the Square from the exit. I must spot a gap in the traffic going towards the Square, coming from the Square and traffic wanting to turn right into the hotel etc. (3 separate movements ) Oh, don't forget the pedestrians who will be permitted to cross the junction at any angle they please. Oh and cyclists and watch out for the man in the motorised wheelchair or the lady with the double buggy.......how can anyone think that this is a safe arrangement? And then we repeat this at every junction.
    It worked fine before the lights went in. In fact the first time lights went in they had to be removed because they were a bloody disgrace and caused much more problems than they solved. The second attempt was better but still nonsensical to not provide a left exit filter at the same time the right entry filter went on.

With lights there people just go by the lights. Before those lights went on there was never a tail inside the Glenroyal of people trying to get out - now there is. Nor was there a tail of traffic trying to get in - now there is. Without lights the traffic moves more smoothly and people actually let others in and out. This is not hypothetical - this was exactly the case before lights went there.

If you actually read my post I said that pedestrian crossings should be retained. They are demand operated not timed so would allow people to cross when required.

I should also point out that I am a cyclist and still would prefer these lights were removed. And as a cyclist the new cycle path put in on the Straffan Road is a joke. Perfect opportunity to put it on road instead of on the path ignored. I won't use it because it's unsafe - I stick to the road where it should be. Putting it on the path - where cyclists have to contend with pedestrians is not best practice and fails on two counts:
    1. Contenting with pedestrians as already stated
    2. Giving motorists the idea that bikes shouldn't be on the road and causing some to give abuse to cyclists who are perfectly legally using the road.

This is just another failure in traffic planning in Maynooth.
    I'm sorry to burst the bubble but Traffic lights serve a number of purposes:

1. Provide priority (to a side road when the main road does not permit gaps in the traffic) and (to the main road but providing extra green light times at peak times).
    2. Allow orderly movement of traffic movements (the opposite of a free for all at priority junctions)
    3. Are safer than priority junctions
    4. Provide safe facilities for vulnerable road users
    5. When sited close together, provide the progression of traffic through an area (e.g. Turning left from Straffan Road and turning right towards Moyglare Road junction.)

Populist horse manure is just that.
    They also serve to worsen traffic problems when designed by some bureaucrat in an office who doesn't travel through the town on a daily basis.

And calling it populist horse manure is just arrogance. When people who use the roads in the town think it's crap then they should be listened to not just dismissed as populist.

Again not reading my post. I said it is supposed to be a link road. But common sense and initial plans disposed of as usual.

Anyone who things the Supervalu lights helped traffic doesn't live in or regularity come to Maynooth. Looking at the town from afar with derision might make you think that, though.

After the second installation (as above, the first one was turned off rapidly and left off for an age) they used to fail frequently enough and you could tell when they had - the town wasn't congested!

I also wonder why all the money was spent on traffic management software when clearly they don't know how to use it.

I was agreeing that you were being pedantic - nothing else.

Lack of presence in guidelines != illegal. You would need actual legislation (statue or statutory) for it to be illegal.

And you are now being about as pedantic as possible. It is a signed alternate route for an R road - most people would take your repeated use of "side road" to suggest it was a very minor (in terms of traffic before you have another pedantic-attack) road.

As it happens, the nonsense reason I was given was about safety, not legality. It would take only the intellect of a small child to work out that "it would be dangerous for people on the crossing" to realise that if that was the case, it would be dangerous for all people using the crossing. Never got a response after that, surprisingly.

Ok, if you find this post condensending then it's not, it's the truth.

Look back at post 33 and following ones, if one reads them and the documentation referenced in them, then one would agree with the contents of my posts.

You are wrong to say that lack of presence in guidelines = illegal;
    You are wrong to suggest I said anything was illegal- I said it is not legal to do it which means something completely different;
    You are wrong to say that I referenced the Link Road as "a very minor road";

Sorry, I really don't understand your "intellect of a small child" analogy, is it aimed at me?

Finally, the thread has been high jacked by axe wielding traffic light hating (let's just take them away in the morning) spoofers - I thought it was about car parking.

• Advertisement

You are wrong to say that lack of presence in guidelines = illegal;

No, I said lack of presence of guidelines does not mean its illegal. As Orion said, are you actually reading our posts?

You are wrong to suggest I said anything was illegal- I said it is not legal to do it which means something completely different;

Insane pedantry doesn't really wash.

In what odd language that you speak does "not legal" not mean "illegal"?

You are wrong to say that I referenced the Link Road as "a very minor road";

You battered on about side roads as if you meant something other than a very strict legal definition. Showing a massive lack of understanding about the town in the process.
    Sorry, I really don't understand your "intellect of a small child" analogy, is it aimed at me?

No, its aimed at the KCC traffic engineer who claimed that a detector loop was unsafe and clearly doesn't seem to understand how traffic lights work.
    Finally, the thread has been high jacked by axe wielding traffic light hating (let's just take them away in the morning) spoofers - I thought it was about car parking.

Ah, baseless accusations. Fantastic.

After the second installation (as above, the first one was turned off rapidly and left off for an age) they used to fail frequently enough and you could tell when they had - the town wasn't congested!

Ok, so you believe that if the Glen Royal lights are not working then there is no congestion in the town? How can you explain that? Especially if all the other lights are still working.

You can believe that it was less congested but it couldn't be. Traffic cannot disappear.

Ok, so you believe that if the Glen Royal lights are not working then there is no congestion in the town? How can you explain that? Especially if all the other lights are still working.

You can believe that it was less congested but it couldn't be. Traffic cannot disappear.

I live here. I drive here.

You clearly do neither.

Traffic got worse the day they went in, and improved when they were removed. This was repeated when they were put back in.

Do you have the very slightest idea how traffic actually flows? Inappropriate lights cause delays. Would have thought junior cert geography covered that!

I did indeed and did answer it. However based on some of the below you obviously didn't read mine.

Then why has it been done. In Leitrim, Longford, and other counties.

It worked fine before the lights went in. In fact the first time lights went in they had to be removed because they were a bloody disgrace and caused much more problems than they solved. The second attempt was better but still nonsensical to not provide a left exit filter at the same time the right entry filter went on.

With lights there people just go by the lights. Before those lights went on there was never a tail inside the Glenroyal of people trying to get out - now there is. Nor was there a tail of traffic trying to get in - now there is. Without lights the traffic moves more smoothly and people actually let others in and out. This is not hypothetical - this was exactly the case before lights went there.

If you actually read my post I said that pedestrian crossings should be retained. They are demand operated not timed so would allow people to cross when required.

I should also point out that I am a cyclist and still would prefer these lights were removed. And as a cyclist the new cycle path put in on the Straffan Road is a joke. Perfect opportunity to put it on road instead of on the path ignored. I won't use it because it's unsafe - I stick to the road where it should be. Putting it on the path - where cyclists have to contend with pedestrians is not best practice and fails on two counts:
    1. Contenting with pedestrians as already stated
    2. Giving motorists the idea that bikes shouldn't be on the road and causing some to give abuse to cyclists who are perfectly legally using the road.

This is just another failure in traffic planning in Maynooth.

They also serve to worsen traffic problems when designed by some bureaucrat in an office who doesn't travel through the town on a daily basis.

And calling it populist horse manure is just arrogance. When people who use the roads in the town think it's crap then they should be listened to not just dismissed as populist.

Ok, the knives are out tonight for me. I'll read the various "you cannot read properly", "you don't know what you're talking about", "you don't know how the people of Maynooth feel" postings over breakfast. And that was sarcasm.

I live here. I drive here.

You clearly do neither.

Traffic got worse the day they went in, and improved when they were removed. This was repeated when they were put back in.

Do you have the very slightest idea how traffic actually flows? Inappropriate lights cause delays. Would have thought junior cert geography covered that!
    +1. I live here. I drive here. I cycle here. They do cause congestion. Try coming to Maynooth for a week and trying it out. Then turn off the lights and try it again. Just to see the difference. You might change your tune.

Ok, the knives are out tonight for me. I'll read the various "you cannot read properly", "you don't know what you're talking about", "you don't know how the people of Maynooth feel" postings over breakfast. And that was sarcasm.

Nobody said you can't read. We said you don't read. Sorry to be pedantic but there is a huge difference.

Conversations evolve. Parking and traffic are inextricably linked in case you didn't know.

I don't hate traffic lights - I hate traffic lights that cause more problems that they solve. And enough of the ad hominem remarks - if you think I'm spoofing then give details and stop just name calling. That's the last refuge of a failed argument.

There's no knives

You have not read, misread or misinterpreted posts by Orion and myself multiple times. This is obvious in your replies

You are making nonsensical and contradictory statements - so yes, you don't know what you're talking about

The issue is not about what the people of Maynooth "feel" - its that you clearly don't know Maynooth at all.

You are the only one making baseless personal attacks here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I've put a suggestion to councillors for a one way system. Had some positive feedback but it is gas to see the shock of an "out there thought"

Run one way from Roost to BoI, right to Glenroyal, right through Harbour field, right up Leinster ave to Roost.

Coming from Tesco, must turn left to Glen.

No right turn from Boys school to Parsons St.

Parson's St, one way from Parsons Lodge to College. Block access to Old College gates, save to dignatories and force acces to South Campus via roundabout on Kilcock Rd, assuming Ring Rd.

Traffic from Straffan must turn left at Harbour field/Glenroyal junction.

Bus stop outside Bradys moved to outside KnB.

Pedestrian crossing control traffic flow save for junction at Roost.

There are essentially three lanes from Roost to BoI to Glen, can be reduced to two with bike lanes if do this.

Radical, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Calm down a bit folks. Keep it civil

Advertisement