Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay parking Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

ixus wrote: »
    I've put a suggestion to councillors for a one way system. Had some positive feedback but it is gas to see the shock of an "out there thought"

Run one way from Roost to BoI, right to Glenroyal, right through Harbour field, right up Leinster ave to Roost.

Coming from Tesco, must turn left to Glen.

No right turn from Boys school to Parsons St.

Parson's St, one way from Parsons Lodge to College. Block access to Old College gates, save to dignatories and force acces to South Campus via roundabout on Kilcock Rd, assuming Ring Rd.

Traffic from Straffan must turn left at Harbour field/Glenroyal junction.

Bus stop outside Bradys moved to outside KnB.

Pedestrian crossing control traffic flow save for junction at Roost.

There are essentially three lanes from Roost to BoI to Glen, can be reduced to two with bike lanes if do this.

Radical, eh?

What about the circus that comes to town once a year, or the carnival?:D:D

Ah no that's worth some thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There's a road going in at the bottom of harbour field anyway. Cycle and pedestrian only but to be used by the emergency services to get out to the Straffan Road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,890 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some complaints on Facebook about marked spaces on some of the residential side roads, not on the basis of residents parking but on the basis of more non-resident parking. I'm not sure how it actually *is* any worse considering they're currently used for all day parking by non-residents; but regardless a lot of people are now quite unhappy.

I have a feeling an awful lot of people either never saw the (fairly obvious) messages about the scheme when it was planned or have long since forgotten that there was a lengthy period for submissions.

I'm still unconvinced this is the best fix for the issue - which is all day parking by people using public transport out of the town. Its better for everyone overall if those cars *don't* go in to Dublin so better park and ride facilities would solve the issue more nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

@Orion Yeah, the Harbour was given to the town in a Trust for 999yrs or some such on condition it's kept as amenity or something along those lines. Makes it difficult to do anything with. I suggested CPO under agreement that money is given to Maynooth Tidy Towns to make it a presentable area for people to use.

@L1011 it kicked off today with pics of spaces being put in front of people's front doors. That's not on really. I can accept (of course I don't live there) spaces in front of windows as has always been the case but, to put the spaces bang in middle of a front door is surely against Fire and Health.& Safety for Emergency access. Residents did kick up about this before and raised the issues most recently at a meeting. They were assured doors wouldn't be blocked.

If I lived there, I would black those spaces in front of door out or put a P on them for private. Council wouldn't fix it in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Orion wrote: »
    There's a road going in at the bottom of harbour field anyway. Cycle and pedestrian only but to be used by the emergency services to get out to the Straffan Road too.

Do you mean that the existing path along the canal bank the goes out at the Roost is going to be upgraded in some fashion or a completely new road?

• Advertisement

@Orion Yeah, the Harbour was given to the town in a Trust for 999yrs or some such on condition it's kept as amenity or something along those lines. Makes it difficult to do anything with. I suggested CPO under agreement that money is given to Maynooth Tidy Towns to make it a presentable area for people to use.

I believe that has already been 'dealt with' in some manner or other. The trust has been bought out or something. Off to the Newsletter archives I go!
    @L1011 it kicked off today with pics of spaces being put in front of people's front doors. That's not on really. I can accept (of course I don't live there) spaces in front of windows as has always been the case but, to put the spaces bang in middle of a front door is surely against Fire and Health.& Safety for Emergency access. Residents did kick up about this before and raised the issues most recently at a meeting. They were assured doors wouldn't be blocked.

If I lived there, I would black those spaces in front of door out or put a P on them for private. Council wouldn't fix it in a hurry.

Cars have parked nose to tail when busy on those roads (on one side generally) since private car ownership started to become common. Street View seems to have been taken mid-morning and its OK but there are cones outside some houses - I remember going to view one of them for sale on a Saturday morning and there wasn't a space to be found.

Its very unlikely that that would stop someone parking there.
    TheBody wrote: »
    Do you mean that the existing path along the canal bank the goes out at the Roost is going to be upgraded in some fashion or a completely new road?

Completely new road from Supervalu over.

edit: as far as I can tell the harbour field is now owned by KCC directly since about when the playground was built

TheBody wrote: »

No. Along side the scout den directly opposite the fire station. Leinster street is also being upgraded with no parking and a path all the way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

Sorry if this has been covered already, I'm reading on my phone and haven't found an answer. Is there a charge for disabled spots as well as regular spots?

dib wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been covered already, I'm reading on my phone and haven't found an answer. Is there a charge for disabled spots as well as regular spots?

Disabled spots are free with a badge.

And if you don't have a badge the fine should be the cost of a new car. One of my bugbears is people parking in disabled spots - "sure I'll just be a minute" - like that excuses complete ignorance.

• Advertisement

The fine is double that of having no ticket admittedly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

there's plenty of free parking around old greenfield!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

So is today the day?

Lines painted, meters installed but is signage required or did I miss it?

Two week grace period. You will get a notice on car i think. Handy, got a spot down town already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Are they signed up to the parking by app function?

And it begins. Cars parked half way down Silkenvale this evening and paid parking hasn't even started yet.

Orion, I attended a councillor meeting about this. You could see the blank look on so many of their faces when this outcome was explained to them. The logic just isn't there. There will never be a "complete plan" that will realistically fix current and forseeable problems.

Actually I don't think it's related. The Boss is playing in Croke Park - it's train overflow.

Greenfield SC carpark also seemed busier but it's a bad day to try guess - also a match on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lala87

Anyone know how much the parking is across from the roost on Leinster St per week?

• Advertisement

Will the clamping (?) only apply to those who park in designated spaces but don't pay? i.e. will there be any enforcement of parking on double yellow lines, footpaths etc?

Lala87 wrote: »
    Anyone know how much the parking is across from the roost on Leinster St per week?

It's €7 a day as far as I recall.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Will the clamping (?) only apply to those who park in designated spaces but don't pay? i.e. will there be any enforcement of parking on double yellow lines, footpaths etc?

Apcoa will be doing the clamping on behalf of the council. They will address all illegal parking.

Are we sure there's clamping and not fines issued? Am unsure myself.

Actually the clamping may have been an assumption on my part. Apcoa have been awarded the contract but according to this page (which I assume just hasn't been updated to include Maynooth yet) they issue fines and do not clamp.

Thought fines for parking on double yellow etc could only be issued by local authorities and Gardai and private companies would clamp for no ticket but open to correction on that.

Email from John McGinley:

I can confirm that at present Warning Notice are being issued to illegally parked vehicles until Saturday 11th June inclusive (no fines are being issued at this time). Full enforcement (issuing of fines) will commence on Monday 13th June 2016 at 08.30 to illegally parked vehicles. I can also confirm that I and contractor are making note of any issues/concerns from the public and that I am meeting with the enforcement contractor over the course of the next few weeks to resolve any issues/concerns, where possible.

At present, the public seem to be embracing pay parking in Maynooth, quiet a number of residential permits have issued and I have met and had some discussions with residents and the general public.

Regards,

James Doyle
    Roads, Transportation & Public Safety
    KILDARE COUNTY COUNCIL

There are spaces available all over the town now for once. Despite much griping (mainly from people who don't live here!) I don't see this being too negative currently

Some genius in the council decided to do the traffic measurement for the new traffic management plan after the college had mostly closed - and as its still ongoing, with the secondary school wound down too. And with the Irish Open massively distorting one weekend. KCC incompetence with roads knows no bounds!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I mostly walk in the town ,this week I have noticed there are actually free parking spaces on the main street and the Tesco Carpark has never looked so full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Has anyone noticed how the train station car park is this week? I usually get the first train so parking isn't an issue but sometimes I need to get the 8.09am train and I'm concerned about the parking on those days.

Advertisement