Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay parking Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

No but you can park in the supervalue car park for free. The one to left. It's only a warning, no fine. See above. Daily rate isn't too bad either if you want to pay I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

Rathkenny wrote:
    Has anyone noticed how the train station car park is this week? I usually get the first train so parking isn't an issue but sometimes I need to get the 8.09am train and I'm concerned about the parking on those days.

Yes I think it's sightly worse than before. Touch and go whether you'd get a spot. Roost car park would be a better bet, and a shorter walk vs far end of train car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

shoehorn wrote: »
    Yes I think it's sightly worse than before. Touch and go whether you'd get a spot. Roost car park would be a better bet, and a shorter walk vs far end of train car park.

Yes the Roost car park is good and spacious but I'd be coming from the Straffan Road side of town so I'd probably miss the 8.09. That's not a big deal really but it might be a pain to get out of there in the evening when I'd be in a rush. The public car park at supervalu sounds like it might be a better option if the daily rate isn't too bad. Thanks for your help. I'll probably end up try both options to see which works best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Daily rate in the public one at supervalu is €6.

Down town a few times during the day this week and easily getting parking on the main street.

I've not had a look in Tesco carpark but any idea where all the cars have gone? Between Supervalue and the main street, there's at least about 50 free spaces now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tesco car park has being over flowing!!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Was in tesco at the post office yesterday - jammers!! But I have noticed, and may it's pure coincidence, but traffic feels a bit lighter too! I know that could be the schools etc winding down though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah i'd say it's just the university students finished for the summer. traffic is much better when they're off for study week too.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Tesco car park has being over flowing!!

There's clamping there for stays over 2 hours isn't there? I wonder if this is being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,890 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tesco have never had signage for clamping. Dunnes does >2 hours however I've never seen a clamp - and the staff park there in the back corner for far longer presumably with full consent but I've never seen badges.

If it becomes an issue at Tesco I would see some form of restrictions coming in. That the clamping legislations from last year were not commenced still leaves private clamping its odd legal netherworld where its probably illegal but very hard to get the clampers to realise that (public clamping, not that its happening here bar the train station, is specifically legal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

Regarding the Tesco carpark, remember there have been stop/go traffic along that road due to road works on Wednesday and Thursday. Some drivers who might have normally driven to Dunnes or Supervalu might have just stopped at Tesco and walked.

L1011 wrote: »
    Tesco have never had signage for clamping.

There have been clamping/penalty fines in the old car park for about a year if my memory serves me correctly. 2 hour max according to these signs... I've never seen it enforced though.

Rathkenny wrote: »
    There have been clamping/penalty fines in the old car park for about a year if my memory serves me correctly. 2 hour max according to these signs... I've never seen it enforced though.

This sign on the way into the car park contradicts the 2 hour limit though!

I dont think those would stand up even with the pathetic biased 'appeals process' they're so un-noticeable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Rathkenny wrote: »

I've definitely seen a car clamped over by the post office at least twice in the last few years when I've been coming by late at night on a bus.

Tesco have never had signage for clamping. Dunnes does >2 hours however I've never seen a clamp - and the staff park there in the back corner for far longer presumably with full consent but I've never seen badges.
    I've seen a few cars clamped in Dunnes.
    the odd time i've been down there on a weekday morning, i've noticed a guy going around checking/watching vehicles parking up. I remember a few years ago he warned me that there was a limit just as I was walking away from the car, presumably because I was in my 20s and he thought I was a student parking there for the day.

Like thieves in the night, we have just had double yellow lines painted outside our house. Nine o'clock on a Friday night is a strange time to be painting yellow lines unless you were trying to get it done without to much attention.

Seems like overkill to me. Single yellow would have been enough to stop people trying to dodge the new parking fees while allowing residents the opportunity to have visitors on a Sunday afternoon.

To me it appears like Kildare CC don't know their arse from their elbow.

Like all jobsworth, I was told "just doing my job. If I don't do it someone else will."

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Seems like overkill to me. Single yellow would have been enough to stop people trying to dodge the new parking fees while allowing residents the opportunity to have visitors on a Sunday afternoon.

Paid parking doesn't apply on Sundays AFAIK?

A friend has yellow lines outside his residence. He woke up one morning to find that someone/thing had painted the lines black.

Council would only come out every few months to repaint.

SQ2 wrote: »
    Paid parking doesn't apply on Sundays AFAIK?

True, but double yellow are 24/7. It is now illegal for a delivery van to stop for a couple of minutes. Not that this ever stops them but it will inconvenience trades people coming to fix something in the houses.

Double yellow this far away from the main road seems, to me at least, wrong. Remember we are talking about a cul-de-sac with less than thirty houses so there is very little actual traffic on the street.

Very big sledgehammer used to crack a very small nut.

Note to self: find out the name of the councillor for this area and actively canvas against them at the next election.

• Advertisement

Anyone know where to find information on the extension of yellow lines on the Kildare CC site?

The only information I can find relates to the Pay for Parking changes but this information and maps stops short of the street where I live.

I can't find a page for extending the yellow lines beyond this aspect of roads in Kildare on any part of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

True, but double yellow are 24/7. It is now illegal for a delivery van to stop for a couple of minutes. Not that this ever stops them but it will inconvenience trades people coming to fix something in the houses.

How far away are the nearest parking spaces, and would it really discourage people visiting if they couldn't park exactly outside the door?

SQ2 wrote: »
    How far away are the nearest parking spaces, and would it really discourage people visiting if they couldn't park exactly outside the door?

Not that far TBH. But it would have caused me to consider not buying this house in the first place knowing that I couldn't park outside. My concern now is that other potential buyers might think the same if we ever want to sell.

My main point is that the are totally unnecessary and over kill. If the council had a concern about drivers dodging the parking fees by parking here then they could have used single yellow. This would have been enough to deter longterm commuters from cluttering up the street while allowing non-business hours parking.

Goods taxed vehicles can stop on double yellows for 30mins if not otherwise illegal (solid white line, etc)

Goods taxed vehicles can stop on double yellows for 30mins if not otherwise illegal (solid white line, etc)

Thanks, I didn't know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Note to self: find out the name of the councillor for this area and actively canvas against them at the next election.

Note to you: elected councillors have no real input into this. The unelected officials of the council dicate it. Why not contact your local councillor now for them to represent your concerns? The current ones are Teresa Murray, Réada Cronin, John McGinley, Naoise Ó'Cearúil and Tim Durkan - not sure who replaced James Lawless and Frank O'Rourke who just got elected to the Dail.

Orion wrote: »
    Note to you: elected councillors have no real input into this. The unelected officials of the council dicate it. Why not contact your local councillor now for them to represent your concerns? The current ones are Teresa Murray, Réada Cronin, John McGinley, Naoise Ó'Cearúil and Tim Durkan - not sure who replaced James Lawless and Frank O'Rourke who just got elected to the Dail.

Thank you. Assumed that there was some level of political input.

Why do we have councillors if unelected officials make the decisions?

Maybe one of these unelected officials wanted to ensure that the contractor didn't go hungry and so gave him some work. To me it looks like an unjustifiable and excessive use of yellow paint for no real benefit.

One reads about silly council/government decisions but this is my first time to experience one first hand.

where are you talking about?

where are you talking about?

Leinster Park.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Cant see this pay parking being any good for Maynooth local business.

Shops started closing down in Celbridge weeks after the pay parking was introduced..I still don't think its fully recovered and if Im not mistaken KCC had to revist the rules or something and allow a longer grace period??

Wonder how long it will be before we start seeing businesses closing in Maynooth.

Advertisement