Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay parking Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭brian_t

Hellrazer wrote: »
    if Im not mistaken KCC had to revist the rules or something and allow a longer grace period?.

In Celbridge Pay parking is from 10 to 4 weekdays only.

If I recall correctly a review of the rules cannot take until after three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Cant see this pay parking being any good for Maynooth local business.

Shops started closing down in Celbridge weeks after the pay parking was introduced..I still don't think its fully recovered and if Im not mistaken KCC had to revist the rules or something and allow a longer grace period??

Wonder how long it will be before we start seeing businesses closing in Maynooth.

I try to resist but can't......businesses close down period. How can you predict something that hasn't happened yesterday? On the otherhand if you can, PM me the lotto numbers, you must be sick of winning it...;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Cant see this pay parking being any good for Maynooth local business.

Before pay parking was introduced there wasn't a hope of finding a parking space in Maynooth to allow anyone to frequent the local businesses. All the spaces were taken up from early morning by commuters using the town as a park-and-ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Met a mate down down for lunch midweek, both of us parked. May not have used the town to meet otherwise. It works for me. Missus also parking down town more frequently.

Option of 50cent for 30mins would be appreciated. There is a grace period of 15mins I think.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

brian_t wrote: »
    In Celbridge Pay parking is from 10 to 4 weekdays only.

If I recall correctly a review of the rules cannot take until after three years.

Yep..but it used to be 8.30-6.30-same as Maynooth is...It was changed about 5 years ago after businesses were closing directly related to the pay parking introduction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I find it much easier to go to shops on the main street now and to run in to the bank and there is always parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thank you. Assumed that there was some level of political input.

Why do we have councillors if unelected officials make the decisions?

Maybe one of these unelected officials wanted to ensure that the contractor didn't go hungry and so gave him some work. To me it looks like an unjustifiable and excessive use of yellow paint for no real benefit.

One reads about silly council/government decisions but this is my first time to experience one first hand.

Parking is the remit of councillors.

The double yellows would have had to be requested by residents. Have you checked with the residents association?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

HonalD wrote: »
    I try to resist but can't......businesses close down period. How can you predict something that hasn't happened yesterday? On the otherhand if you can, PM me the lotto numbers, you must be sick of winning it...;)

No need for the condescending attitude.The fact is businesses closed down in Celbridge and Leixlip on the introduction of pay parking.
    The local councillors and TDs lobbied for the changes.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056339782

Watch this space as they say--I guarantee that changes will be made in Maynooth.

The problem isn't that businesses loose their local customers-people in the area will carry out their business regardless of whether there was pay parking or not--any here disagree with that.

Before pay parking you still went and did what you had to do in the village even if it meant parking and walking a bit to get there.

Its the passing trade that killed Celbridge and Leixlip ie people wanting to just grab a litre of milk or a sandwich on the way through couldn't be bothered paying that extra 1.00 for parking and just travelled on to the local Tesco or whatever.

What I see happening in Maynooth is that all our fancy new restaurants will be first to see a drop off especially at lunchtimes.If its enforced for 1 hour parking then those people wont bother.Then you`ll have the "litre of milk and sliced pan" people who will just drive to Tesco to get their basics.Centra and Londis will be hit hardest there.

Im not saying I disagree with pay parking but again its a fact that a lot of small villages around the country suffer when pay parking is introduced.

Rgdata even disagree with pay parking.
    http://www.checkout.ie/restrictive-car-parking-regimes-killing-town-centres-says-rgdata/11096

The report is here .

https://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/media/committees/jobsenterpriseandinnovation/CarParkingReport.pdf

Im a long time resident in Maynooth and would hate to see the village loose its charm and see local businesses close. But I honestly do feel that this is whats going to happen here and the pay parking will be changed when Im correct.

I would usually go to Londis in Greenfield or Spar in beaufield for the parking before heading down town for milk previously. Maybe even Supervalu. Not sure how pay parking would affect this?

As I mentioned above, I'm MORE inclined to go down town to eat as I know I will gwt parking rather than fluting around for 20/30mins in terrible traffic to find a spot.

It really depends on whether you want to frame this as a positive or negative.

There is only one shop selling milk or bread within the pay parking area...

Celbridge didn't have the issue of bo available spaces that Maynooth had so can't compare to the issues here. I have gone to liffey Valley rather than CPL before due to knowing I wouldn't get a space within luggable distance

• Advertisement

No need for the condescending attitude.The fact is businesses closed down in Celbridge and Leixlip on the introduction of pay parking.
    The local councillors and TDs lobbied for the changes.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056339782

That thread neither mentions lobbying or business closing, it barely got a handful of responses.

The problem isn't that businesses loose their local customers-people in the area will carry out their business regardless of whether there was pay parking or not--any here disagree with that.

I disagree, in the past I would avoid Maynooth like the plague unless it was completely unavoidable.
    Before pay parking you still went and did what you had to do in the village even if it meant parking and walking a bit to get there.

See previous response

Its the passing trade that killed Celbridge and Leixlip ie people wanting to just grab a litre of milk or a sandwich on the way through couldn't be bothered paying that extra 1.00 for parking and just travelled on to the local Tesco or whatever.

What I see happening in Maynooth is that all our fancy new restaurants will be first to see a drop off especially at lunchtimes.If its enforced for 1 hour parking then those people wont bother.Then you`ll have the "litre of milk and sliced pan" people who will just drive to Tesco to get their basics.Centra and Londis will be hit hardest there.

That passing trade would not have stopped before paid parking was introduced. There were never any spaces for that to happen.
    Im not saying I disagree with pay parking but again its a fact that a lot of small villages around the country suffer when pay parking is introduced.

Rgdata even disagree with pay parking.
    http://www.checkout.ie/restrictive-car-parking-regimes-killing-town-centres-says-rgdata/11096

The report is here .

https://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/media/committees/jobsenterpriseandinnovation/CarParkingReport.pdf

That may be correct for a lot of small villages/towns. You can't really conclude the same applies to Maynooth as the treat-the-town as a park-and-ride already killed off much of the trade the town would have otherwise had. The introduction of paid parking has opened up the town for business again.

Im a long time resident in Maynooth and would hate to see the village loose its charm and see local businesses close. But I honestly do feel that this is whats going to happen here and the pay parking will be changed when Im correct.

Talking to friends and businesses around the town, many are talking about the positive impact the changes have already had including a noticeable uptick in trade.

By all means lobby for an hour or two free parking but please lets not return to the wholesale blocking of the town for the whole business day by commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

It used to be same cars in almost the same spaces every single day in Maynooth. From speaking to business owners around the town so far the feeling is that it is working well for them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭brian_t

L1011 wrote: »
    Goods taxed vehicles can stop on double yellows for 30mins if not otherwise illegal (solid white line, etc)
    I don't know about double yellow lines but goods vehicles can only park for 20mins in a parking bay whilst unloading without needing a ticket.
    ixus wrote: »
    There is a grace period of 15mins I think.
    According to the Parking Bye-laws - the fee is €0.20 for the first 15 minutes. There is no grace period.

Graham wrote: »
    That thread neither mentions lobbying or business closing, it barely got a handful of responses.

I was just pointing out that there was a thread about the changes.I cant find the link about the TDs and Councillors.If I find it Ill post it up.

I disagree, in the past I would avoid Maynooth like the plague unless it was completely unavoidable.

But you still went and did your essential business ie banking etc.Like everyone else.

That passing trade would not have stopped before paid parking was introduced. There were never any spaces for that to happen.
    That passing trade used to stop anywhere and everywhere even on foot paths to just pop into a shop.It was a disaster.

That may be correct for a lot of small villages/towns. You can't really conclude the same applies to Maynooth as the treat-the-town as a park-and-ride already killed off much of the trade the town would have otherwise had. The introduction of paid parking has opened up the town for business again.

Celbridge and Leixlip were the exact same.Park and ride facilities for both train stations in Leixlip and Hazelhatch in Celbridge.

Not sure if its opened up for business again-I still had to park in Manor Mills yesterday to just run into the bank.I didn't see the benefit yesterday.

Talking to friends and businesses around the town, many are talking about the positive impact the changes have already had including a noticeable uptick in trade.

I thought it was busier yesterday alright..well I couldn't get parking :)

By all means lobby for an hour or two free parking but please lets not return to the wholesale blocking of the town for the whole business day by commuters.

Youre right--My biggest issue is the times 8.30am - 18.30 am is in my opinion just a bit too long for pay parking.

It should have been 8.30 am - 11.30am and then free for the day until 1600-1830 with a 1 hour limit.

That would stop the all day "park and ride" crowd and leave enough for the residents to go about their daily business.

Celbridge and Leixlip were the exact same.Park and ride facilities for both train stations in Leixlip and Hazelhatch in Celbridge.

Leixlip Louisa has station parking more than sufficient for its commuters. Celbridge's station is so far outside the town nobody would ever park in the town to use it - and since the KRP, also has station parking sufficient.

Maynooth does not, resulting in the town being used for station parking. This did not happen in Celbridge or Leixlip.

There were no spaces for residents to 'go about their business' before the paid parking came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Having initially been against pay parking, I saw the benefits today. Driving down the town around 12, loads of parking, stopped off, paid 20 cent for 15 minutes parking, went into a shop I wouldn't have gone into otherwise and made a purchase. Something I needed, good for me and good for local business too. Amazing the amount of commuter parking, I had no idea it was so bad. Will be interesting when the college is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

But you still went and did your essential business ie banking etc.Like everyone else.

I did.. to the Ulster Bank in Liffey Valley if I needed the bank and wasn't in a position to walk as Maynooth was such a disaster for parking

I did.. to the Ulster Bank in Liffey Valley if I needed the bank and wasn't in a position to walk as Maynooth was such a disaster for parking

I'd have been the same as you in the past, absolutely avoid Maynooth during the day unless absolutely essential and for the minimum amount of time. Perhaps twice a year.

Since pay parking, I've visited the town on about 6 occasions and it's been an absolute pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

I saw this planning application for an extension for planning for 38 car parking spaces at the train station at the station masters house. I don't know when the original application was granted but I wonder why the work hasn't been done. These spaces are very much needed.

Rathkenny wrote: »
    I saw this planning application for an extension for planning for 38 car parking spaces at the train station at the station masters house. I don't know when the original application was granted but I wonder why the work hasn't been done. These spaces are very much needed.

Previous application was in 2010 (first two digits of a file number are the year) and it was granted in early 2011.

There was a significant falloff in train passengers from about 2008 which continued in to mid 2012 so they likely didn't have much of a parking capacity problem anymore - until two weeks ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

L1011 wrote: »
    Previous application was in 2010 (first two digits of a file number are the year) and it was granted in early 2011.

There was a significant falloff in train passengers from about 2008 which continued in to mid 2012 so they likely didn't have much of a parking capacity problem anymore - until two weeks ago!

Fair point. Wouldn't it be amazing though if there was a bit of forward planning whereby Irish rail were to acknowledge that pay parking was being implemented in the town and that there would be an immediate need for its commuters to park elsewhere! We can dream.

Planning in to extend the temporary planning for the 'roost carpark' on Leinster Street today. I doubt thats their forever intent for the site but the only non parking planning application since the presbytery was demolished was for a very conservative apartment development (36 units - its a big site) and was refused (for over developing the site!! Claims Maynooth is a two storey town which Manor Mills, the new college developments and even the three storey Roost over the road refute).

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

See a camper and caravan up at the entrance to the canal, wonder how much they are paying there per day for the use of the spaces!

Public consultation on the Maynooth Traffic Management Plan today in Glenroyal. Open to public from 4-8pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm a local to the area and the pay parking has specifically put me off. I normally pop over from Celbridge/Leixlip to Maynooth for lunch and a potter. I've never not gotten a space albeit i might have to circle once. Now there's no point so I either go to Celbridge/leixlip since I have to pay anyways or head the opposite direction to Liffey Valley. I'm not a resident at the moment (I used to be) but I've left a fair amount of money in Maynooth over the last four years despite moving elsewhere (due to rent). Thats likely gonna stop now.

The only thing that might tempt me across is if they have pay by text? I never carry coins and rarely any cash hence my massive problem with pay machine parking

By comparison, I'm shopping more in the town centre because I can get spaces, where I want them and without hunting them down. Working from home today so actually had a regimented 'lunch hour' like I'm in the office - got down to the printers and the bank in the time it'd have taken me to either find a space or give up and park in Manor Mills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

ixus wrote:
    Public consultation on the Maynooth Traffic Management Plan today in Glenroyal. Open to public from 4-8pm.

Anyone make it to this?

Yes. It was more about them displaying issues they saw and asking for input from council, then College, then the public through the day.

They are going to put a plan together for October which will be open for discussion again. They also intend to carry out rraffic survey again when studenta return.

Personally, I had a good conversation with the guys there and felt they were fully taking points on board. I felt it was productive.

On another note, Coveney's grand master plan has funds for developing infrastructure to enable housing development. Might be time to talk to councillors and TD's about chasing this money. Best chance of getting Ring Road sorted.

ixus wrote: »
    They also intend to carry out rraffic survey again when studenta return.

So they pissed money down the drain (and from what I heard via a councillor, sent a really snarky "we have complex maths to correct the figures" claim TO A MATHEMATICS LECTURER when questioned on why they were doing it out of term) then. Great. Like KCC has lots.

• Advertisement

It wasn't an official, we will do it again. Not sure it was their fault but the timing of the contract. I would imagine a retest would be in line with the survey if they were to miscalculate based on missing traffic with students it would look very poor. They were aware of that.

They do have models and could probably pair a smaller sample size in Sept/Oct against the bigger sample size from the original survey.

I suggested a few route alterations and additional roads. Was told it can be simulated in the model to see if traffic is improved.

Sure 'tis all big data and statistics these days!

Advertisement