Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay parking Maynooth

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I also asked how they compensated for traffic flow on those measuring machines with the wires across the road. When traffic at a standstill and not getting any movement, how does machine know.

Supposedly, it takes the counter flow traffic data and extrapolates ain't nothin movin.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

The survey was also done over the days when the irish open was on, so increased irregular traffic was present also! Bad time to have carried it out if they wanted definate figures!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah - weekend figures will be far too high and weekdays too low. Contract should not have been issued in a manner allowing that so blame still lies with KCC traffic engineers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Cant see this pay parking being any good for Maynooth local business.

Shops started closing down in Celbridge weeks after the pay parking was introduced..I still don't think its fully recovered and if Im not mistaken KCC had to revist the rules or something and allow a longer grace period??

Wonder how long it will be before we start seeing businesses closing in Maynooth.

Before pay parking in Celbridge ( pre 2007 ) it was very difficult to get parking in Celbridge due to cars parking all day for whatever reason. Since the introduction of pay parking and the addition of extra parking areas it made it so much easier to do business in the town. When Pay Parking was introduced in May 2007 there was only Londis, Centra and Aldi as the main grocery shops, Tesco was closed down while building their new bigger store. The new Tesco opened in September 2007 which probably took some of the business away from the Main St.
    Shops have always been opening and closing in Celbridge and only last week the shop that was Londis in 2007 has closed which is likely due to opening of the SuperValu 2 years ago.
    Somehow I don't think Maynooth will suffer any ill effects due to pay parking as now you can get parking on the Main St. or close by where it has been very difficult up to this.
    For years I have been going to Maynooth to do business in the town and always parking at either the hotel, Manor Mills or Tesco, the last few times I thought it very convenient and a bit of a novelty to get parking on the Main St. area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Hellrazer wrote: »

Its the passing trade that killed Celbridge and Leixlip ie people wanting to just grab a litre of milk or a sandwich on the way through couldn't be bothered paying that extra 1.00 for parking and just travelled on to the local Tesco or whatever.

Pre. Pay Parking the passing trade in Celbridge had to keep passing as you couldn't find a spot to park. It's the increase of out of town shopping and garage shops that makes it more convenient not to stop in the towns.
    Ten years ago there were a lot less out of town shops so stopping slightly outside a town, due to lack of parking, and walking in was more commonplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Is there still free parking in tesco. Need to park in Maynooth for most of the day tomorrow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Is there still free parking in tesco. Need to park in Maynooth for most of the day tomorrow

There is but I remember a recent post that suggested cars were being clamped for parking all day.

The paid car park by the roost is probably your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭brian_t

I see that Maynooth District councillors have agreed not to suspend pay parking in Maynooth this Christmas.

Other towns will have free parking from Dec 18 to January 2.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

brian_t wrote: »
    I see that Maynooth District councillors have agreed not to suspend pay parking in Maynooth this Christmas.

Quite sensible, last thing the town needs is a bunch of Christmas shoppers and commuters parking up for the day on their way to the train.

I think James Lawless, TD from Naas said something about this before. They used to lift the pay parking for Christmas and business owners ended up asking them to stop doing it as commuters were only filling spaces. Was actually worse. As highlighted about on commuters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Resurrecting an old thread but does anyone know what's happening with the car park on Doctors Lane. There seems to be cars parked in it regularly but the gate closed or partially closed and no signage.

Maybe it's staff of somewhere? Boys school is free at the moment for the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Rathkenny wrote: »
    Resurrecting an old thread but does anyone know what's happening with the car park on Doctors Lane. There seems to be cars parked in it regularly but the gate closed or partially closed and no signage.
    It's a private car park I understand.

Advertisement