Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching ESL in Dublin

Options
  • 26-04-2016 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I'm currently teaching ESL abroad but I'm considering returning to Ireland in the near future. Has anyone got any advice or experiences to share about working in Dublin? What is the pay like and the general running and atmosphere of the schools there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

Hi there,

I work as an EAL teacher in Dublin for a few months every summer and have worked abroad too. Do you have a CELT/CELTA qualification? Most reputable schools require that their teachers hold a CELT or CELTA qualification. The school I work in pay €20 an hour, and the standard working hours are 9am - 1pm with a twenty minute break at 11. You are paid for your break. Sometimes there are opportunities to teach conversational classes for two hours in the afternoons, three days a week.

I've only ever worked during the summer, but know people who manage to get work all year round. Often people do not have a contract and find out week to week whether or not they have work. I would imagine that the further from the capital you are the less work there is, particularly outside of the summer months.

Hope that was some help!

Advertisement