Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walther ppq .22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Barrel is very short, 5" being the longest.
    Wouldn't be my cup of tea for target shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

if its a plinker ur after its grand if its an accurate target pistol u want with an adjustable trigger and good adjustable rear sight, this def wont meet those requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I don't know what the differences are between the Walther P22 and the Walther PPQ 22 but the Walther P22 isn't great in my opinion.

It's good craic to shoot but it isn't at the races if you are going to shoot competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The P22 wasn't good in any opinion. I know of at least one range that had to have a rule against using it because even off a bench rest it wasn't good enough to avoid hitting the frame of the electronic targets. And there were way too many reports of its slide fracturing and failing to be comfortable with.
    Hopefully the PPQ 22 is a totally different design line...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 VBull

Does anyone know if walther did any recall on the p22 as i seen plenty of pictures online showing the fractured slides sparks mentions.

Seems like a great way to get sued.

If it was me looking for a semi .22 then id be looking at the hammerli xesse if funds allowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Comes from farming out vital components to a company that makes blank firers,soft air and air guns called UMAREX.
    Its been awhile since that was a big problem,so hopefully it has been sorted out in the mean time. BUT it will be a problem with all these .22 copies.Simply,you need to have a light metal slide on the gun for it to cycle the action.Difference is light metal compared to POT metal.
    Blank firers and airsoft are potmetal ,and have to be in case some terrorist decides to try converting a blank firer to fire live ammo.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

i wouldn't buy one the majority of the parts are mim including the frame, which is a zinc alloy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A fairly detailed review albeit form 2014, but it covers all the calibers including the .22lr. Worth a read.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I'm back from the range a few hours and had pistols on the brain. So, I went into the gun room and had a quick look at what was available. I recognised the Walther, but can't recall the axact model (will check again next week). I then picked up a hammerli xesse. Now, the difference, even to a novice like me, was the quality in the trigger of the xesse. It just felt way better. That said, I wasn't a fan of the styling of the xesse and and at €900ish compared to the walthers €600ish prince...for plinking, I know where my money would go.

goz83 wrote: »
    I'm back from the range a few hours and had pistols on the brain. So, I went into the gun room and had a quick look at what was available. I recognised the Walther, but can't recall the axact model (will check again next week). I then picked up a hammerli xesse. Now, the difference, even to a novice like me, was the quality in the trigger of the xesse. It just felt way better. That said, I wasn't a fan of the styling of the xesse and and at €900ish compared to the walthers €600ish prince...for plinking, I know where my money would go.

I wouldn't bother with the Walther. Buy once and buy right. It's not particularly reliable nor accurate.

I've seen plenty of lads buy GSG 1911's and they loved them at the start but soon saw that you aren't at the races when it comes to competitions. Same with the P22.

The novelty of shooting a cool looking pistol wears off. The thrill of hitting the middle of the target consistently never wears off. Forget the Walther, the Hammerli is miles upon miles better.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with the Walther. Buy once and buy right. It's not particularly reliable nor accurate.

I've seen plenty of lads buy GSG 1911's and they loved them at the start but soon saw that you aren't at the races when it comes to competitions. Same with the P22.

The novelty of shooting a cool looking pistol wears off. The thrill of hitting the middle of the target consistently never wears off. Forget the Walther, the Hammerli is miles upon miles better.

No argument on quality at all. It was pretty obvious between the two, but if it's only for plinking at 10-15m, then the walther is better value for the job. Looking at the hammerli, (and this is just a visual thing) the gun looks out of proportion, having a thick grip to a relatively thin barrel/slide.

Then I had a look around and found => http://cdn.pyramydair.com/images/PY-2406_Stoeger-Arms-X20S-Suppressor.jpg

so my mind could be changed there on preference. It looks more in proportion with the rail attachment. But who knows, I could probably get over the stock look after a while.

No argument on quality at all. It was pretty obvious between the two, but if it's only for plinking at 10-15m, then the walther is better value for the job. Looking at the hammerli, (and this is just a visual thing) the gun looks out of proportion, having a thick grip to a relatively thin barrel/slide.

That grip makes the Hammerli much easier to hold. Yes it is big and bulky but it is also functional and helps the pistol to be very accurate for pistols in that price range.

What do you do when you decide that you are tired plinking and would like to try win a few medals? Because the Walther won't really cut it and if you want to change, you'll have a pistol that not many other people will want either.

And by the way, I'm not trying to sway you into getting a Hammerli. I'm just trying to sway you away from the Walther because it's just a pile of crap.

BattleCorp wrote: »

And by the way, I'm not trying to sway you into getting a Hammerli. I'm just trying to sway you away from the Walther because it's just a pile of crap.

:pac: Fair enough. Taken on board. Any opinion on the 87T? The pistol instructor didn't have anything good to say about them and recommended the hammerli as a matter of fact....but didn't make any comments on the walther. This conversation was on the range, away from the shop.

:pac: Fair enough. Taken on board. Any opinion on the 87T? The pistol instructor didn't have anything good to say about them and recommended the hammerli as a matter of fact....but didn't make any comments on the walther. This conversation was on the range, away from the shop.

I didn't like the 87T. The hand grip was very small in my hand and it didn't feel comfortable.

My advice is to go to a club that caters for pistols and try as many as possible, ask loads of questions and then see which one you like best.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭hermes2011

as I said in other thread hilltop have a 1911 and a sig, I think they may have a few browning buckmarks too. You can shoot them down there and try them out before you make a purchase. The walther is sh*** hammerli are a super pistol, very accurate but they are a bit expensive. buckmarks and rugers are little more reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Ok so I guess this topic is crying out for the obvious question guys. For people like myself and goz who are thinking of getting in to pistol shooting could the experienced pistol shooters out there please list their top three .22 pistols please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Buckmark
    Haemmerli
    S&W 41

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

hexosan wrote:
    Buckmark Haemmerli S&W 41

Ruger mk lll is a great pistol, has gotten expensive now but has a lot of aftermarket parts, great Volquartsen triggers ect.

The Smith & Wesson victory looks very interesting :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Luckysasha wrote: »
    For people like myself and goz who are thinking of getting in to pistol shooting could the experienced pistol shooters out there please list their top three .22 pistols please.
    For getting into pistol shooting (or, for that matter, any kind of shooting), the answer is really easy:

1) The club gun
    2) The club gun
    3) The club gun

Get into it with the club gun. Shoot for a while, look at what everyone else is using, figure out what kind of shooting you prefer, pick out what you want from there. Trying to pick one before you've been shooting for a while is a really bad idea.

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Ok so I guess this topic is crying out for the obvious question guys. For people like myself and goz who are thinking of getting in to pistol shooting could the experienced pistol shooters out there please list their top three .22 pistols please.

I'm not going with a top three but these are some of the better pistols that I see at competitions. Apologies if I am leaving some good ones out.

Browning Buckmark
    Feinwerkbau AW 93
    Hammerli Xesse
    Smith & Wesson 22A,
    Smith & Wesson Model 41
    Ruger Mark I, II or III

This is just personal preference but of those listed above, the Feinwerkbau AW93 is probably the best followed closely by the Smith & Wesson Model 41. You'll pay close to €2k for them new.

I'd put the Ruger and the Hammerli next in line, then the Buckmark. I think of these three, the Ruger is the most expensive.

Last of all I'd put the Smith & Wesson 22A. That said, the 22A is an accurate pistol for the money and if you look after it, it will last you donkey's years. Plenty of lads win competitions with 22A's. I shoot a 22A myself and find it good. I'd love one of those Feinwerkbau's though.

Don't rush your decision to pick a pistol. I know price plays a big part but I would advise that you try all of the above and more if you get the chance. If funds allow, go for the best pistol that you can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The Hammerli[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] is made in the same place as the walther they are essentially the same company or more correctly speaking part of the pw group this is also where all the umarex airguns are made, in Arnsberg. If it were my money i wouldnt buy one to be honest, you can pick up a second hand one in Germany for 300 easily.[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Although the same can be said for either the s&w41 or a ruger maybe 350 that is where my money would go the quality is in another league.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

If you can get a Ruger Mk2 or Mk3 and do a little bit of work to it they will probably out shoot everything else, The array of parts available from companies like volquartsen make it possible to build a full gun without a single Ruger part!

If you want to try mine send me a PM and we can arrange something. They may not have the looks of some of the other pistols but they can provide the results:)

found the ruger a bit off a job to take a part and put back together s&w 41great pistol my fav would be a browning medalist gold line but you cant get them any more buckmark is great for the money. hammerli great but mags and that are very dear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

hermes2011 wrote: »
    found the ruger a bit off a job to take a part and put back together s&w 41great pistol my fav would be a browning medalist gold line but you cant get them any more buckmark is great for the money. hammerli great but mags and that are very dear

Out of the box is a bit of a Ballache alright but there's a little washer /bushing you can fit that makes it much more straightforward. Costs about a tenner

The S&W 41 seems like a pretty good pistol. What kind of cash does a new one command?

The S&W 41 seems like a pretty good pistol. What kind of cash does a new one command?

They are serious money well over a thousand and you would probably have to have it imported. haven't seen a second hand one on offer for ages

About €1,800 new. Harbour guns are selling one for a member at the moment

Yeah, that's a bit more than I would like to spend on one alright, considering I would want an extra couple of mags too. I want to get something new and around the 1k mark when I am ready to buy.

Separate question; seems as we are on the subject of pistols. What is the general view of moderators on them. I can imagine the Gardai shuddering in their chairs as I write this, but maybe I am wrong and they are just as acceptable as rifle mods. I doubt I would get one, but nice to know all the same.

Yeah, that's a bit more than I would like to spend on one alright, considering I would want an extra couple of mags too. I want to get something new and around the 1k mark when I am ready to buy.

Separate question; seems as we are on the subject of pistols. What is the general view of moderators on them. I can imagine the Gardai shuddering in their chairs as I write this, but maybe I am wrong and they are just as acceptable as rifle mods. I doubt I would get one, but nice to know all the same.

You can forget about that dream. The guards will barely let you get the pistol never mind a mod for it.

Can I ask why you'd want to buy a new pistol. Plent of very good second hand ones knocking around.

• Advertisement

do what sparks said go to a club and try as many as possible I have big hands and found some grips to small my be try a revolver there
    S & W or the Taurus range a bit cheaper than S & W. Taurus are well under a thousand.

Advertisement