Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed, can't enter password

Options
  • 26-04-2016 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Hi

I have an old HP laptop running WIndows 7 Home Premium and have been using it fine for the last few weeks, but today when I went to use it the keys had remapped, I think it was only the symbol keys but once I saw a problem I restarted. This has happened before and after a restart all was good, but not today. When I restarted I could not enter the password, which contains the digit 1 and I think that's the problem, I can't enter a "1".

I tried shutting down removing the battery etc and also FN Numlock, scroll lock etc without success.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭DopeTech

What happens when you press 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Can you use the on screen keyboard from the ease of access option from the logon screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try built-in Administrator account, or booting from this
    http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭HorseSea

Frosty: nothing, the little black circle that populates for each character/digit as you type the password does not appear when I press "1"

Markad1: it is not a touch screen model.

bonzodog2: I will have a look at that now, thanks.

Sugarman, thanks I never thought of that. I tried clicking the Ease of Use icon bottom left several times and although it highlighted nothing happened, I restarted in safemode and tried again and the Ease of Use menu appeared, but unfortunately I still can't get access. I have entered the correct password several times without success. I will try pogostick solution tomorrow. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Borrow/Buy/Steal a USB keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Does the keyboard work in safe mode when you where in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Try ALT +049 to get a '1'

Kelphar240b: Why didn't I think of that, will borrow one on the weekend.

TallGlass: as I can only type in the password field I can't see what characters it is typing, but yes little black circles appear for each keystroke

degsie: I did think of that, but sadly it didn't work.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will revert when I have any update.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

HS,
    Just putting it out there out...have you tried opening the system in safe mode, and rolling the system back a couple of days(like a week)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Not sure if this will be of use to you but the lovely peeps at boards.ie HQ helped me out before and I got everything back up and running again! --->

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80121217

Skyknight wrote: »
    HS,
    Just putting it out there out...have you tried opening the system in safe mode, and rolling the system back a couple of days(like a week)?

Unfortunately Safe Mode always requires the password, so no luck there.

Not sure if this will be of use to you but the lovely peeps at boards.ie HQ helped me out before and I got everything back up and running again! --->

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80121217

Yes they have saved my (PC) on more than one occasion before that's why I came here. Help is always great. I will hopefully get sorted when I get my hands on a USB keyboard on the weekend.

Resurrecting this thread in the hope it might help someone else in the future. I never solved the problem got a new laptop, that died today so I needed to revisit the old one and try and get it going, found a very interesting video on YouTube https://youtu.be/k1YMJEryzBo I was following that and when I got the the Word pad I could see the characters I was typing were messed up, at that stage I google keyboard remap shortcut and found

CTRL + SHIFT

It worked, so I cancelled out of process described in video, restarted typed in password and all is good. Just catching up on two years of windows updates now!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Hey Horsea,
    On compltion of the updates, I would suggest downloading GWX control panel (http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/GwxControlPanelSetup.exe/) to stop Windows 10 from installing itself(at least for the moment) on your revived machine. Congratulations on reactivating the machine.

Advertisement