Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 is discontinued. What are your thoughts on the console?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Which is why I said the likes of. I can't be totally comprehensive all the time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hang on, only beaten by the Gameboy and NES? The PS2 ran from 2000 to 2012 (2013 outside of Japan), and the original Sega Master System is still for sale in Brazil (28 years later by a company called Techtoy, who also still produces the Genesys).

The Tectoy Master System and Megadrive are just third party licenses though, Sega haven't supported the hardware for years. So I wouldn't count them in that running.

The 360 was the first console where my gaming on current gen really took a massive back seat in a big way to arcade gaming.

I played through and loved a lot of the big hitters like the Dark Souls games, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3 etc and a few niche titles like the Cave releases, Deadly Premonition and Child of Eden, but for most of it there was a general apathy.

Too much dudebro for me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Which is why I said the likes of. I can't be totally comprehensive all the time :P

I thought as much, wouldn't be like you to miss something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

o1s1n wrote: »

Too much dudebro for me tbh

In what way do you mean dudebro? As in the way they promoted the thing or the exclusives for it? I never got that impression from it (but then again, I only got my 360 in 2012 so a lot of it could have flown over my head.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I never had a 360 (always stuck to PS because it was more likely to have exclusives I couldn't get on PC), but I still use the controller with my laptop and it's excellent. So for that alone it gets my thumbs up.

The 360 controller is just brilliant to use and it's very well built too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I would class the 360 as one of the greatest gaming consoles of all time. As there has been a lot of great games released on it over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    The 360 controller is just brilliant to use and it's very well built too.

Wouldn't exactly call them well built. Easily went through 8 pads myself, nearly all of them ended up with drifting analogue sticks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I loved mine, though I think I've had 4 so far, with the original sounding like a helicopter taking off from a storm whipped oil rig.
    The online experience was amazing in comparison to the slow and unreliable PS3, and the online store was fantastic, I still have a full library of titles from XBL, including gems like Geometry Wars 2.
    Project Gotham 3 and 4, Test Drive Unlimited and a continuation of the MotoGP series, the games seemed built around the trigger based controller.
    I eventually bought into the PS3, some 18 months after its launch, and it was another 2 years before it became great, and around that time the 360 started to pall for me.
    Multiplat titles were bought for the PS3 mainly and the lineup of exclusive titlsles on the Sony machine were better.
    That said, imho, Killzone 2 and 3 never measured up to Halo 3, 4 or ODST, the Gran Turismo titles on the PS3 didn't rock my world like GT4 on the PS2 and certainly not to the same extent as PGR4.

But Kinect... Feck....
    Essentially it took Rare and Lionhead out of the games development lark and into making colourful minigame collections that insisted on using a peripheral that promised much and delivered little.
    What did we lose in MS doing that?

At least Bungie managed to climb out and bring something original....ish...

Advertisement