Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where did you used to holiday when you were little?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

An annual day trip to Tramore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I never went on holiday as a child, I'm only 21 but I was always jealous of other kids saying the went to Spain,Portugal etc for their holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Over the years a couple of days in Bray, Ardmore, Salthill, Knock :eek:, Clifden and the jewel in the crown, a week in Fossa caravan park in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

if theres one regret its not having enough money to take family and kids on a regular holiday abroad every year , you know just for a change of scenery and to break the long year up and for them to visit another part of the world, but money just simply wasnt there, we lived by our means and paid bills etc and not much left for holidays. when they got older and could pay for themselves they have gone to a few places abroad

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

We went to Mosney a few times and it was a fantastic holiday. A really great place for young and old children. I'd love to be able to take my little guy there now. I've taken him to Trabolgan a few times (and we're going again this week) and it's really poor compared to Mosney. Grand for toddlers but must be really boring for older kids.

My husband went to Disneyworld and Universal Studios when he was a kid in the 80s. And he's somehow under the impression that he didn't grow up rich.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I was really lucky, especially for a kid in the 70's and early 80's. It was very unusual among my peers. We travelled all over Ireland, Kerry, West Cork, Donegal and Mayo, but also to many places in Europe; the UK, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Holland and further afield to Morocco, the Bahamas, New York, and Florida. As I said I was very lucky to have those childhood opportunities and cherish the memories. Especially when I had occasion to revisit some of the same places decades later and saw the changes. My faves were and are France and Spain, with Italy coming in behind.

it was great that you could do that isnt it - good to widen up your world with travel

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Donegal when I was very small. Later, our boat on the Shannon and occasionally abroad. I loved the Shannon as a kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

the earliest holidays I remember were in Tramore in the 60s , then Ardmore and Inchydoney in the 70s , caravans in Tramore and Ardmore and run down chalets in Inchydoney , happy memories of all .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Portugal for two weeks and then Wexford for two weeks every year from when I was 5 til I was in my teens (34 now). We weren't well off by any means but my dad nixered like a mofo on top of his day job so we could do it.

When we were in Wexford he'd only come down at the weekends because of work. The excitement when we heard him pulling up outside was always unreal.

I'm the youngest of five and all my sibs bar one have partners and kids of their own now and we all do a massive family holiday together every three years or so. Then we need a two year break to get over the stress of it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

From about 72 to 78 my parents had a caravan in McDaniel's Brittas Bay, so every June we would decamp down to the caravan for the summer returning late August before school started in September. They were great holidays when the days seemed to last forever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

As Mick the bull Daly said, an Irish holiday is when your father used to beat you over the head with a chair instead of the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Had it lucky as a kid. Used to go abroad for 4 weeks of the year and then somewhere in Ireland for another week or two. Abroad was usually Spain, the Spanish Islands, France or the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There is a place being built around the Midlands Centre Parcs

http://www.centerparcs.co.uk/en-ie/villages/longford-forest

I'd say that will be brilliant given the weather here .

The new Butlins Mosney. I am not being smart, but kids just love love things like that and if you don't have to drive hundreds of miles for the same thing isn't it going to be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Noisin

Strandhill for 2 weeks every summer in a mobile home, we only lived 35 miles away, thought we were going very very far away. 5 kids 2 adults in a mobile home. Some summers we got to head up for 2 separate, 2 weeks. Loved Strandhill. Got to go to Kerry also quite a bit. We still head to Kerry for a Week every summer. My dad, all my siblings and kids. Love that week in Kerry.

awful lot of peeps on here went camping or caravanning - surprising that ...

When we were very young Kerry and England, Wales. From when I was around 10 to 18 went to France a few times, England many times, Spain, Austria, US and Canada (different year to US trip so not the same trip) on family holidays.

I was nearly away more before I was 18 than from 18 to now (31). Have no real interest in going abroad on holidays and think it's because it no big deal to me having gone to a lot of places as a child/teen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

it was great that you could do that isnt it - good to widen up your world with travel
    Yeah Andy I'm very grateful to my folks for it. And you know the best thing for me? I knew how lucky I was at the time which I'm really glad about. It hit home on a school trip to Lourdes(dead fash at the time) when I was 12 and all the other kids where so excited and nervous. I even noticed this in the adults which kinda threw me(I recall a couple of the ma's praying when we hit turbulence). Everybody in their Sunday best to go flying. :) It was a different time. For me hopping on a jet plane was of course exciting but no great mystery to me. The first time I flew on my own I was 14. Short hop to England. Flying the Atlantic on Aer Lingus' 747 Jumbo jets was fantastic. Even got up to the flight deck when my da put the talk on one of the aircrew. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Kilkee, in my granny's house. Went fishing,went to the beach, played pitch and putt. One set or other of my cousins from elsewhere the country would be there too and we'd all sleep in the 'parlour' and on armchairs and wherever there was space. We'd do it at least twice over the summer for 3 or 4 nights.

We'd normally just catch enough mackerel to eat, but on the last day we'd catch as many as we could before heading home and offering them to neighbours if we'd caught a lot. Our biggest catch was 252 in one day.

We were thrilled by it every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

We went a few places around Ireland, went to France once, mostly we would get the ferry from Dunlaoighe to Holyhead and then my father would drive to London to stay with his sister for 2 weeks, it was great as she worked on the buses and we would get to travel all around on them, years later when I was old enough to go myself it just didn't seem the same

• Advertisement

My parents would go to the Canaries. They were rich.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

maudgonner wrote: »
    Packed off to the cousins in various parts of the country, then they would come to visit us in return.

I'm from a farming background - some of them loved being on the farm, but some of them were horrified by the conditions, bloody townies! :)
    We were the townies cousins, I loved it,my sister complained of the smell. My father used to drive us to the beach now and again. 14 kids (yes, 14 ,cousins was a broad term encompassing distant relations by marriage as well as "proper" ones) in the car.It was only 2 miles away but seemed like 40 when you were one of the small ones in the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Wibbs wrote: »
    Even got up to the flight deck when my da put the talk on one of the aircrew. :)

"Ever seen a grown man naked?"

It's a shame that kids these days wont get to experience the stuff that us lot did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

in early life Butlins both here and UK.

By the time I was a teenager we were able to go to France on the campsites but in the tents, no fancy caravans for us

loved those holidays, absolutely loved them.

Have brought my own, either I am doing it wrong, its simple not the same or my father really didnt like family holidays cause I need a bloody drink by the time we get home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Bettystown and Tramore. Those were the days! Is it just me or did it seem like we had scorching hot summers back then (Mid nineties)!? Can't wait to bring the little lad away, down the country or off to Spain, anywhere at all!! :)

Edit: Butlins too!! Post above just reminded me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Yep sunning myself in Bettystown for many a 'Summer'. Ferries to Holyhead and train to London a few times as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Didn't matter to us really where we went, as long as we could go somewhere away from home.

Our parents were ace. They had little but made sure we had a lot. The memories are wonderful. And as K said upthread it was always sunny too. Always. But we tend to remember the good times which is nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

My mam was a single parent and broke as f*ck so we never went on holiday until I was 14 when I'd saved a bit from a summer job and she'd put away a few bob. We ended up in Tuscany and I said I was going for a walk, bought a bottle of wine for €2 in the shop and ended up absolutely paralytic in some village called Consuma where the cops pulled me over and drove me back to the gaff we were staying. Sound lads. It was a great trip, mam rented a car and we drove to Florence and Rome as well. It was the first time I'd been abroad and thought it was paradise as people served me fags and booze without batting an eyelid and pizza was 50p a slice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Lahinch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Ballybunion in Kerry with loads of my cousins and family. Jesus they were great holidays! Fishing for mackerel and pulling lobster pots everyday. Jumping off the cliffs into the freezing cold sea regardless of the weather. We had a no TV policy in the house so loads of board games and messing about playing pranks on each other

Used to hate going back to Dublin after those trips. Happy times!

Advertisement