Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only house in the estate with no fibre broadband

Options
  • 26-04-2016 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi we checked to see if our house was fibre enabled and it was, happy days!!
    No. We had sky in our old house and they put in a new line in our new house to facilitate the broadband with all the hassle from Sky. We were thinking of switching to Eir but after the new line went in the website says our house is not fibre enabled even though every other house including next door and the rest of the estate and the area is.
    Why is my house the only one out of at 300 houses that does not have it.
    They said only 12 Mbps can be got
    I think the engineer never fixed the fibre to the line.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

It takes a while for your line to be tested for vdsl("fibre") after it is activated. How long is it since the line was installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭reddanmm

Hi Jd it was 2 weeks ago. The houses on both sides have it as does all the estates in the immediate area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭eir: Ciara

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hi Reddanmm,[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Thank you for getting in touch with us and I am really sorry to hear this.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]I understand your frustration and can assure you that there is an on-going plan to upgrade a number of exchanges that has been running for several years now unfortunately at present there are no details available to suggest when the upgrades will be done. [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Even when a cabinet may seem close it's worth noting that lines are not laid as the crow flies and may take different routes from the cabinet before it reaches your home.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]I'm sorry I can't offer you a time frame on this and that we are unable to give you better news.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]-Ciara[/font]

Hi Ciara before the line went it it had fibre as per your website. New line went in and it now states no fibre . So either the website is misleading people in to thinking they have fibre or there is a problem somewhere else.
    one of the reasons you pick an area to move to is broadband availability
    Houses next door are 3 feet away on either side .
    Everyone in the block had either sky or Eir or Vodafone.we are in the middle of the block. I don't understand your explanation.
    Surely when you lay fibre on a road it's for all the houses on that block. Eg house no's 1 to 15 have fibre but number 11 does not !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭eir: Ciara

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]I understand how you feel, however I have spoken with our  Fibre operations team and they have advised there is a note on our website on the map which states the map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the Eir Fibre area can avail of the service. [/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]The map is there for a guideline for customers and there is no guaranteed date on these time frames. [/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]-Ciara[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

ciara, have you even read his posts ?

Ciara can you please read my post and give me a proper explanation. . I did not look at a map I typed in my address . every house on my block has it .
    For god sake it's like pulling teeth to get an explanation.
    It states on your site that info might be 000.1_% inaccurate and a tech guy would be sent.
    So it's nothing to do with what way the crow flies but with the fibre line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Now you know why dealing with Sky is a hassle - they're dealing with Eir :pac:
    reddanmm wrote: »
    Ciara can you please read my post and give me a proper explanation. . I did not look at a map I typed in my address . every house on my block has it .
    For god sake it's like pulling teeth to get an explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The VDSL cabinets are only capable of connecting a certain number of VDSL lines.

There's not necessarily a provision made for each and every line that routes via the existing cabinet.

If the VDSL cabinet you connect to has the capacity for, say, 300 eFibre lines, if you're the 301st person to request eFibre then you're out of luck until OpenEir either expand the cabinet or an existing customer on that cabinet cancels and frees up a port.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Kensington wrote: »
    The VDSL cabinets are only capable of connecting a certain number of VDSL lines.

There's not necessarily a provision made for each and every line that routes via the existing cabinet.

If the VDSL cabinet you connect to has the capacity for, say, 300 eFibre lines, if you're the 301st person to request eFibre then you're out of luck until OpenEir either expand the cabinet or an existing customer on that cabinet cancels and frees up a port.
    Good suggestion, but if true, it would be rather bad luck that it coincided with the replacement of the OP's line by Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Tenshot wrote: »

Good suggestion, but if true, it would be rather bad luck that it coincided with the replacement of the OP's line by Sky.
    It wasn't a replacement, the OP moved house and Sky installed a new line in the new house.

Tenshot wrote: »
    ment of the OP's line by Sky.
    It wasn't a replacement, the OP moved house and Sky installed a new line in the new house.
    Customer should go back to his supplier (Sky) and ask them to clarify with Open Eir (eir wholesale) whether his his line has been prequal tested for fibre. I think this forum is run by eir retail, who won't have access to his line/account details.

Funny how we could get fibre before we asked sky. Then it disappears off the grid. .
    As Enda said its a great little Country to do business in!!!!
    I will contact Comreg and launch a complaint .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Ok I just spoke to an Engineer From K&N he said their is no reason why we can't have fibre. Spoke some technical jargon but but he said we should have it.
    I think we are been caught in a dirty battle between Sky and Eir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

Hi there, Unfortunately the dates we provide online are estimated and we would be unable to guarantee a date as the time taken to upgrade the line to efibre will vary depending on the level of work involved and whether consents from road and planning authorities and private landowners are necessary.You can view the most up to date information on the eFibre roll out here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ or you can check your line number or address here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/. I would recommend registering your details on the above link and as soon as the service is available you will be notified. - Stacey

Omg we are living in an advanced fibre broadband area about 1000 houses between all the estates have it . Probably more.
    Can you read my query . No one has ever had a problem getting Eir on my road. In fact one neighbor got it last month. I really feel it is because we went with Sky and had we went with Eir there would have been no issues.
    We were in contract with Sky so cannot move. .
    When we moved first and rang Eir there was no problem with us getting broadband now it's a different story.
    Ithink the K&N engineer was right and you are talking bull. Can you stop talking about the map. It had nothing to do with it . Advanced fibre area. That's what I live in .

This is what I get when I put in all 23 houses on my road. So please don't refer me to a map

This is what I get when I put in all 23 houses on my road. So please don't refer me to a map
    Ask Sky to ask open eir have they tested your line for vdsl. If you are a customer of Sky the people here can't see your line details, they work for eir retail.

They have done an escalation with Eir . Nothing from them in the last couple of days.
    It's like talking to a politician.
    All I want is an answer to know why I could get fibre before the line went in and after it went in we could not.

• Advertisement

Probably because once there is a line installed they base it on an actual test result on the physical line, and that could be pending. eir retail don't manage the prequal, it's eir wholesale, so you should get sky to follow up on it.

jd wrote: »
    Probably because once there is a line installed they base it on an actual test result on the physical line, and that could be pending. eir retail don't manage the prequal, it's eir wholesale, so you should get sky to follow up on it.

Hi Jd the prequal was 12mpbs but I am still none the wiser why 100's of homes in our area have it and we have not

jd wrote: »

Hi Jd the prequal was 12mpbs
    It's a different prequal (process)for vdsl as  that's from the cabinet, the 12mb is your prequal for adsl (from the exchange). I think updated prequal databases are released towards the end of each week by open eir - get sky to follow up on it. 

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Funny how we could get fibre before we asked sky. Then it disappears off the grid. .
    As Enda said its a great little Country to do business in!!!!
    I will contact Comreg and launch a complaint .
    You asked sky when there was no active line, addresses just give a guesstimate of availability. Sky sales should have warned you of this.

Its not capacity, if its capacity your line will get a rating but the order will automatically fail after its submitted. 
    Issues is:
    A. Hasnt been prequalified yet, this happens monthly
    B. Line is direct fed/fed by alternate cabinet and isnt viable.

Talk to SKY. They are your line operator. They must request a premature prequal to ensure its not viable, then you can cancel f you need to. 

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

Hi we checked to see if our house was fibre enabled and it was, happy days!!
    No. We had sky in our old house and they put in a new line in our new house to facilitate the broadband with all the hassle from Sky. We were  thinking  of switching to Eir but after the new line went in the website says our house is not fibre enabled even though every other house including next door and the rest of the estate and the area is.
    Why is my house the only one out of at 300 houses that does not have it.
    They said only 12 Mbps can be got
    I think the engineer never fixed the fibre to the line.
    Thanks in advance
    Similar thing happened to me some weeks back but resolved after a number of days. Initially when the line was put in eir told me I was in an advanced BB area and could get 5mb (Advanced!!! laughable). After 7 days my line came up as Fibre (after I canceled). I was told advanced BB shows up first but Fibre takes longer to show on a line. 

Thanks Rob we live in hope,trying to get answers from Eir is a form of torture as for their customers service agents on the phones, the rudest I have come across ever.

Thanks Rob we live in hope,trying to get answers from Eir is a form of torture as for their customers service agents on the phones, the rudest I have come across ever.
    The problem is you are not an eir retail customer - the agents don't have access to your account/order details. You need to talk to Sky who can talk to Open Eir on your behalf 

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

Yeah I spent ages on call to various people. All basically told me tough. Nobody mentioned I had to weight longer. If it still does not show up I believe you can ask to have your line re-tested. Just as an FYI i was dealing with Eir as my BB provided. In theory you should be getting the same help from sky and open Eir

Advertisement