Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD access to science/engineering course (advice,success stories)

Options
  • 26-04-2016 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm 21 ATM and unfortunately didn't get the points to study agricultural science or science in college although being strong at them subjects. I emailed ucd and they told me you have to be 22 by January 1st to apply to this programme I'm not 22 until February 17 so am strongly thinking of doing pre university science for the year so it improves my chances of gaining entry.

Just wondering on previous students was it hard to gain access to this course ?
    And where are you now after completing this course ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I did the Access Course so I could bypass the usual mature student application rigmarole, and it was well worth it in my experience. Once you pass the year (and meet the age requirements, minimum mark in maths, have a good attendance record etc), you're guaranteed entry to science (including ag science/forestry) or engineering, so you really don't need to do a pre-uni course as it won't change your chances at all - pass the access course and you're in. Simple as that.

The course itself was grand. Actually a little on the easy side, but all the staff were great, and am still knocking around with my access classmates. The hardest part was actually gaining entry into the course itself as there were a good few applying the year I did it. I hear numbers have been down recently though, so your experience may differ. The main thing is to convince them that you're determined and genuine in the interview. The actual "entrance exams" were easy, and they really walk you through them. Well worth it though. Any specific questions, ask away and I'd be happy to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Dair76 wrote: »
    I did the Access Course so I could bypass the usual mature student application rigmarole, and it was well worth it in my experience. Once you pass the year (and meet the age requirements, minimum mark in maths, have a good attendance record etc), you're guaranteed entry to science (including ag science/forestry) or engineering, so you really don't need to do a pre-uni course as it won't change your chances at all - pass the access course and you're in. Simple as that.

The course itself was grand. Actually a little on the easy side, but all the staff were great, and am still knocking around with my access classmates. The hardest part was actually gaining entry into the course itself as there were a good few applying the year I did it. I hear numbers have been down recently though, so your experience may differ. The main thing is to convince them that you're determined and genuine. Well worth it though. Any specific questions, ask away and I'd be happy to help!

May I ask what degree you followed onto do after the course ?

Did your leaving cert come into consideration at all I only achieved a little under 200 points and worry this will have a negative effect on me gaining entry to the course or even employment after getting the degree if I did manage to get in.

Thanks again

No worries. I went on to do science, the biology stream. Love it!

And your leaving cert shouldn't be an issue. We had a couple of people who didn't have any LC at all (dropped out after the Junior Cert), so that won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Thanks again for all the info and what about job interviews afterwards do employers ask / care for leaving cert results once you've a degree in this field? Sorry for all these questions I am just stuck in a rut whether to repeat or not I really don't want to but will if it will effect me down the line after.

Couldn't tell you about interviews but I'd be surprised if they cared that much about your leaving cert if/when you've done well at third level (which could include work placements, studying abroad, involvement in societies/charities etc... all of which look fantastic on a CV).

• Advertisement
Advertisement