Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you Identify this noise from my Inside Oil Boiler Range?

Options
  • 27-04-2016 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Hello, is there a plumbing expert on here that can Identify the 'Whining' noise our oil boiler makes when it starts up? - it lasts for around 30seconds and then goes. There is also some cracks and bangs (you might hear in the video) but I think that is just maybe cold metal heating up inside, but yeah its started doing that too. A boiler guy serviced it last October and said the boiler was in good nick for its age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hello, is there a plumbing expert on here that can Identify the 'Whining' noise our oil boiler makes when it starts up? - it lasts for around 30seconds and then goes. There is also some cracks and bangs (you might hear in the video) but I think that is just maybe cold metal heating up inside, but yeah its started doing that too. A boiler guy serviced it last October and said the boiler was in good nick for its age.

I didn't hear anything except the odd cracking noise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Sounds to me like there is a bit of a whine from a bearing on the motor, or it could be a noise from the fuel pump, because it clears when the solenoid opens.
    If it starts to get progressively louder get someone in to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I didn't hear anything except the odd cracking noise

yes sorry the noise sounds a lot quieter on the video than it is

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I agree sounds like the bearing is whining

DGOBS wrote: »
    I agree sounds like the bearing is whining

Is there just a bearing on the burner itself or bearing on the oil pump too? - when its 2 stage burner like this, what happens on the 'first stage?
    thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

it does sound like a bearing whine so I would agree with the lads above

theres 2 bearings on the motor back end near the fan and front end at the pump change both their only a few euros each not a hard job if you have the proper tools but without you can make a total balls of it

pump is a sealed unit so if that's kaput its a new pump

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

fan pullers a must! IMHO

the range has 2 burners in it, one for CH one for the cooker - we never ever use the cooker part of the boiler, assuming both burners are of the same type how about if the burners were swapped around? - that could be do-able no?

ya deff agree with tony a fan puller is critical the bearings themselves can be levered off the motor 9 times out of ten

the range has 2 burners in it, one for CH one for the cooker - we never ever use the cooker part of the boiler, assuming both burners are of the same type how about if the burners were swapped around? - that could be do-able no?

don't do cookers stay away from them

burners may be set up for different outputs and may not even be the same burner

dtp on here loves cookers im sure he would even go to Sligo to help u out :D:D

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »

ah yes, never thought about that

ah yes, never thought about that

as I said andy I don't touch cookers so could be talkin through my whole

I do know some cookers have different makes of burners fitted

as I said andy I don't touch cookers so could be talkin through my whole

I do know some cookers have different makes of burners fitted

ah no. I think your most probably right in what you say -I havent taken any covers off so I dont know.

at the end of the day if its just noisy bearing and the boiler isnt gonna blow up :eek: - then there shouldnt be nothing to worry about. house is rented anyway, so I will mention it to landlord next time I see her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

don't do cookers stay away from them

dtp on here loves cookers im sure he would even go to Sligo to help u out :D:D

It's only a 7 hour round trip. Shur what could go wrong

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It's only a 7 hour round trip. Shur what could go wrong

dont fancy seeing the callout charge for that! :eek:

Advertisement