Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentlemen's Forum Moderating

Options
  • 27-04-2016 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to bring attention to some moderating I've seen in the Gentlemen's Club Forum. The first took place in july of last year and the second took place recently. Here are the links to the first and second one, in that order:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96250832&postcount=3295 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99517143&postcount=212.

In the first instance you'll notice that a direct violation of the charter rules was not only tolerated, it was thanked by two moderators. The conversation was carried on further with the help of Wibbs, and then the Ladies Lounge was brought into the conversation, in order to insult it, and still the conversation continued.

In the second instance, you have a poster giving personal abuse and again, you have a moderator thanking the post and Wibbs actually quoting the post to give his agreement.

I guess what I'm saying is, why are the moderators of that forum continually allowed to participate in discussions that go against the charter rules? It was my understanding that not only are they supposed to take care of posts that violate the charter, but also set an example themselves. I really don't think that moderators who continually violate the charter they are supposed to enforce should be allowed to be moderators anymore.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,931 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You use terms like 'continually' yet one of your two examples is almost a year old. That doesn't sound very continual to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I assessed the second one as it was reported and brought to my attention and I don't see any personal abuse in it.

Telling someone to 'Read the damn article' is well below the threshold of what is abuse imo.

Not sure what your issue is with the first one other than it mentions other boards forums however it was in the context of the topic being discussed so I wouldn't have actioned it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭NI24

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I assessed the second one as it was reported and brought to my attention and I don't see any personal abuse in it.

Telling someone to 'Read the damn article' is well below the threshold of what is abuse imo.

If that's not personal abuse that I'm going to hold you accountable to that because I have more than a few demands to give to tritium. What was your assessment of the first one pray tell?

o1s1n wrote: »
    You use terms like 'continually' yet one of your two examples is almost a year old. That doesn't sound very continual to me.

There are many more examples but I simply don't have the time to go through them. The reason I brought up the first one was because it continued for so long that I thought at least one moderator was going to step in but nothing was done. It really stuck out in my mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

NI24 wrote: »
    What was your assessment of the first one pray tell?

Your too quick for me at this time of day. Was mid edit so see answer in previous post.

• Advertisement

Not sure what your issue is with the first one other than it mentions other boards forums however it was in the context of the topic being discussed so I wouldn't have actioned it myself.

A poster saying that Parents is the only forum where sexism is tolerated is criticism of other forums. That goes against charter rules. Do you really not understand or are you covering for yourself since you thanked that post?

Also bear in mind that thanking a post does not necessarily mean what you think it does. There are multiple reasons why I might thank a post even if I do not agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,931 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There are many more examples but I simply don't have the time to go through them. The reason I brought up the first one was because it continued for so long that I thought at least one moderator was going to step in but nothing was done. It really stuck out in my mind.

If you don't have the time to provide relevant examples then why do you expect people to have the time to investigate your complaint?

You posted one example from ages ago and another that's so tame I really can't see the issue.

If there was actually something deeply wrong in the forums moderation you'd have a lot more than that to hand.

Also bear in mind that thanking a post does not necessarily mean what you think it does. There are multiple reasons why I might thank a post even if I do not agree with it.

You say tomato. In all seriousness, though, it was a direct violation of rules. And of course, the pot shot at the Ladies Lounge was the icing on the cake. Any comment on that one?

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you don't have the time to provide relevant examples then why do you expect people to have the time to investigate your complaint?

You posted one example from ages ago and another that's so tame I really can't see the issue.

If there was actually something deeply wrong in the forums moderation you'd have a lot more than that to hand.

I don't expect you to investigate, I don't even know who you are. Nor did I say there was something "deeply wrong". Can you please point out where I said this?

• Advertisement

Perhaps this should be moved to the Help Desk? I guess it's more of a complaint against certain moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

NI24 - unless you can provide some real examples here we will be closing this thread.

If you don't have time to "go through them" then we certainly don't have time to persist in this thread. As it stands the first post is over a year old and the second breaches no rules, you were just told to go read the article, no more no less.

Taltos wrote: »
    NI24 - unless you can provide some real examples here we will be closing this thread.

If you don't have time to "go through them" then we certainly don't have time to persist in this thread. As it stands the first post is over a year old and the second breaches no rules, you were just told to go read the article, no more no less.

Um, I didn't realize cursing at people was tolerated, I thought that was more of an After Hours thing. I'm going to hold you to that. I also didn't realize there was a time limit on posts. What does the age of the post have to do with the fact that moderators are breaking their own charter rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Um, I didn't realize cursing at people was tolerated, I thought that was more of an After Hours thing. I'm going to hold you to that. I also didn't realize there was a time limit on posts. What does the age of the post have to do with the fact that moderators are breaking their own charter rules?

Where did this happen? :

Where did this happen? :

When he said "read the damn article".

When he said "read the damn article".

You consider the Damn to be a curse/swear word? :confused:

You consider the Damn to be a curse/swear word? :confused:
    Yes I do. But if it's allowed in the Gentlemen's Club, I'll be doing more of it.

Um, I didn't realize cursing at people was tolerated, I thought that was more of an After Hours thing.
    I can assure you that personal abuse is most definitely not allowed in After Hours and the mods there work very hard to keep things running smoothly. Report any posts you see please as with the size of the forum it is impossible for the mods to read everything.

Yes I do. But if it's allowed in the Gentlemen's Club, I'll be doing more of it.

The word damn is not considered a swear word though so I think you will find that the mods won't give a damn.

I can assure you that personal abuse is most definitely not allowed in After Hours and the mods there work very hard to keep things running smoothly. Report any posts you see please as with the size of the forum it is impossible for the mods to read everything.

Pawwed, I said that cursing at people is allowed in After Hours, which is precisely what tritium did. Please quit twisting my words.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you think "read the damn article" is cursing maybe you need to find somewhere on the internet far less challenging for you. A safe space if you will.

Frankly and IMH you're are one of those users out for blood. You don't like the forum and don't like that it exists and if it does it "darned" well should conform to your ideal. I had similar when I modded the Ladies Lounge. A minority of men would barge into the forum looking for trouble for the same reasons.

I'll say to you what I said to them, the clue is in the forum title. Women are most certainly welcome, but not if they're on a crusade and if you don't like the forum then quite simply don't read it and leave it for the folks who do. Surely that's not too difficult to comprehend?

Hope that cleared things up for you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Is there anybody who's going to acknowledge the fact that moderators breached their own charter rules? And how will they be held accountable?

Pawwed, I said that cursing at people is allowed in After Hours, which is precisely what tritium did. Please quit twisting my words.

Apologies if I misunderstood but there is no difference in the AH and tGC with regard to 'cursing at people' though tbh I am noy sure what that means if it is not in relation to petsonal abuse.
    I can't think of any forum that 'read the damn article' would incur a mod action. None of ones I work on anyway.

Apologies if I misunderstood but there is no difference in the AH and tGC with regard to 'cursing at people' though tbh I am noy sure what that means if it is not in relation to petsonal abuse.
    I can't think of any forum that 'read the damn article' would incur a mod action. None of ones I work on anyway.

Apology accepted, however, if I tell someone to take a ****ing reading class is that considered cursing?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OK OP - we're done here.

If this thread is as it seems to be a witch hunt on the use of the word damn or play semantics on what constitutes a curse then I'm closing this now before we go further down that rabbit hole.
    Posters are asked to keep it civil but it's also about using common sense and not be a d1ck. Neither of the posts you quote have me worried, your arguments do though as does your hunt for the truth or an apology.

Per the suggestions of the CMOD above - if you've an issue with a post simply report it stating why you are reporting it. However, please expect that if action is taken it might not always be visible. Again in terms of reporting common sense comes into play, the mass reporting of posts you don't disagree equally isn't tolerated.

Thanks
    Taltos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement