Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ni-Oh (PS4)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Id love too give this a go but i suck at the souls games :o

So far I'm finding it more forgiving than Dark Souls, the combat is closer to Bloodborne (and Ninja Gaiden obviously), but it's more enjoyable than both imo - the faster combat and ki pulse mechanic, the environment and the level design. It's really good.

Mainly using a kusarigama at the minute, very cool weapon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

well my order from amazon never came today, pity, was looking forward to playing it tonight !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

2smiggy wrote: »
    well my order from amazon never came today, pity, was looking forward to playing it tonight !!

I hope you did not Asendia as the carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hi All,

I'm a HUGE Bloodbourne / Souls Junkie, so I was delighted to hear of a simular game in Nioh coming out. Then came the reviews and all extremely good.

On this basis, I bought the digital copy today and after an hour of playing, I'm utterly gutted.

I feel the graphics are on a par with the Xbox360 (I have it set to cinema mode) - To put DS3 beside it is night and day different.

Then comes the controls, the faster pace was welcome but I getting some serious guttering - see my video below, the first half was simply pushing forward to move with analogue. The 2nd half of video was hold down sprint (X) - All over the place.

Am I missing something profound here? I understand I've a bit to go into the game but my first impression is extremely poor.

I was open to a great game but left very disappointed.

What are your thoughts? I've a feeling I'm on my own but Its just an honest first impression.

Video on movement -

https://youtu.be/RZtTVn6VrEA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I just see you spamming the run button for the majority of the video.. thats it

The graphics are bloody amazing if you ask me :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

not sure what you're doing in that clip sticker but nioh doesn't play like that for me.

nix wrote: »
    I just see you spamming the run button for the majority of the video.. thats it

The graphics are bloody amazing if you ask me :confused:

How do you keep a run in place without holding down the run button?

If I'm making a dumb mistake, that's fine but let me know! How do you sustain a run in Nioh?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

sticker wrote: »
    How do you keep a run in place without holding down the run button?

If I'm making a dumb mistake, that's fine but let me know! How do you sustain a run in Nioh?

Thanks
    yeah you hold down x and you run...still don't see the stop/start you have in the clip though.Odd.

Yeah you gotta hold the run button down, same as bloodborne and souls :D

What way are people equipping their runes? im currently keep the epic ones equipped as more stats, but their defense multiplier is alot lower compared to other ones i have, is the defense multiplier a better priority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Hi All,

I'm a HUGE Bloodbourne / Souls Junkie, so I was delighted to hear of a simular game in Nioh coming out. Then came the reviews and all extremely good.

On this basis, I bought the digital copy today and after an hour of playing, I'm utterly gutted.

I feel the graphics are on a par with the Xbox360 (I have it set to cinema mode) - To put DS3 beside it is night and day different.

Then comes the controls, the faster pace was welcome but I getting some serious guttering - see my video below, the first half was simply pushing forward to move with analogue. The 2nd half of video was hold down sprint (X) - All over the place.

Am I missing something profound here? I understand I've a bit to go into the game but my first impression is extremely poor.

I was open to a great game but left very disappointed.

What are your thoughts? I've a feeling I'm on my own but Its just an honest first impression.

Video on movement -

https://youtu.be/RZtTVn6VrEA

I'm not sure what that video is trying to establish but I'm not experiencing movement like that and neither is anyone else (if the reviews and streams are anything to go by).

The game looks fantastic but it's not at its best in the opening hour so perhaps stick with it. But either way you're talking out of your hat comparing it to a 360 game. Okay, it doesn't look as good as DS3 but it's got a better framerate and the combat is vastly more sophisticated. Pros and cons to each game.

This is clearly a 'Souls-like' but people need to get passed that because Nioh is its own thing. It's not perfect, not even close. But it has a lot to offer.

• Advertisement

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I'm not sure what that video is trying to establish but I'm not experiencing movement like that and neither is anyone else (if the reviews and streams are anything to go by).

The game looks fantastic but it's not at its best in the opening hour so perhaps stick with it. But either way you're talking out of your hat comparing it to a 360 game. Okay, it doesn't look as good as DS3 but it's got a better framerate and the combat is vastly more sophisticated. Pros and cons to each game.

This is clearly a 'Souls-like' but people need to get passed that because Nioh is its own thing. It's not perfect, not even close. But it has a lot to offer.

I'd be the happiest guy in the room to say I loved this game. It's got everything I adore in a game.. I'm a seasoned player at all souls and Bloodbourne games but I was very disappointed in my first hour. I did not have crazy high expectations also. I'll give it another spin tomorrow. I hope it clicks. Maybe my controller is acting the bollox but that footage is my moving analogue and holding run...

I'd be the happiest guy in the room to say I loved this game. It's got everything I adore in a game.. I'm a seasoned player at all souls and Bloodbourne games but I was very disappointed in my first hour. I did not have crazy high expectations also. I'll give it another spin tomorrow. I hope it clicks. Maybe my controller is acting the bollox but that footage is my moving analogue and holding run...

Are you holding X to run in that video?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That is absolutely not what the game is meant to play like. The controls are smooth and consistent, and the game plays very well indeed by pretty much any objective measure. Very possibly a controller issue.

That said, I would sympathise with the suggestion that the game is visually a tad underwhelming. Not bad by any stretch and there's some nice sights & design flourishes dotted about, but it doesn't look amazing either. For all the talk about the Fromsoft games' mechanical depth and difficulty level, it's always been the peerless artistry in storytelling and visual/audio design that allows the games to transcend merely being really good action-RPGs. That's the difference I've found lacking in many efforts to emulate the series' strengths.

However, Nioh is its own thing even if it actively courts such comparisons with the Souls games. To a certain degree, it embraces the sort of design philosophy seen in the likes of Team Ninja's own classics and meshes that with a few of the general ideas popularised by the Souls series (and a handful of directly copied mechanics). If it doesn't have that extraordinary 'something' the Souls games have, it is a damn fine action game on its own terms. And also some graphical allowances should be made given its long gestation period - very possible some of its assets were created quite a few years ago now. I'm also willing to forgive some visual 'downgrading' because action mode comprehensively trumps mere resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Throw that aside, I am not sure if you have played any of the Onimusha or Ninja Gaiden games, but Nioh is far more akin in theme and gameplay to those, the Souls comparison is far more cosmetic, but it does feature a few borrowed concepts.

Thanks all for the replies. Gonna give it another spin today and hope she clicks...

Not just me then... but no fix as yet. Might be the controller. This might explain the terrible first impression! But I'm sticking to my guns on the aesthetics of the game... I heard it's on a par with Bloodbourne (IGN) - not a kneeling prayer...

Anyway no other games giving me issues so might need a rare bug..

Link to error:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/4gunqu/anyone_else_having_issues_with_controls_or_is_it/

I'm sticking to my guns on the aesthetics of the game... I heard it's on a par with Bloodbourne (IGN)

Where was that said? It's not in their written review. I don't doubt you. It's just a very generous comparison and I'd love to know the context.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Where was that said? It's not in their written review. I don't doubt you. It's just a very generous comparison and I'd love to know the context.

I course swear it was said in the recent plays live. She definitely said also it was as good looking as DS3.

Anyway... regardless of the aesthetics, I'm hopeful my initial bad impression might be thwarted by a controller fix and some more play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

sticker wrote:
    Anyway no other games giving me issues so might need a rare bug..

I've had weird controller issues a few times with Bloodborne, as mentioned by someone else on that link you posted.

I think it looks great, it has to mesh a larger colour palette than the comparisons. the dungeons/caves are pretty meh alright, but the outdoor areas are where it shines. And i feel pretty immersed in them, especially the one where its raining heavy and you get jumped by ninjas. the rain making it alot harder to track the fast moving ninjas just added to the horror of the situation.

I just got to a snow level tonight before i logged and think im in for a treat :)

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    I've had weird controller issues a few times with Bloodborne, as mentioned by someone else on that link you posted.

How did you resolve the controller issue with Bloodbourne?

I wonder if I'm due a replacement controller? I've only had it a couple of years but plenty of mileage clocked!

Anyone know of the cheapest spot to pickup?

I see a guy on adverts advertising repairs... Might be an option too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Finally got a good go at this last night.

WOW, they really decreased the difficulty A LOT. I noticed a few enemies were completely removed from the first mission. And that first boss was a walk in the park.

Not happy with that kind of pandering TBH.

Great game overall though, hopefully it keeps up.

Edit:
    Damn, I didn't realise you don't run out of breath anymore. FFS! Now idiots can just square spam without consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

sticker wrote:
    How did you resolve the controller issue with Bloodbourne?

I only noticed it a few times

Looking here it might be a controller on the way out... this game must be very sensitive as all other games work fine.

https://www.google.ie/...ne_else_in_the_demo/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

nix wrote: »
    I think it looks great, it has to mesh a larger colour palette than the comparisons. the dungeons/caves are pretty meh alright, but the outdoor areas are where it shines. And i feel pretty immersed in them, especially the one where its raining heavy and you get jumped by ninjas. the rain making it alot harder to track the fast moving ninjas just added to the horror of the situation.

I just got to a snow level tonight before i logged and think im in for a treat :)

Snow? Nice!

I agree, I think it's a great looking game. Bloodborne was great too of course but not without it's flaws - crappy loading times and silly immersion breaking rag-doll corpses are two examples where it's weaker.
    Rob2D wrote: »
    Finally got a good go at this last night.

WOW, they really decreased the difficulty A LOT. I noticed a few enemies were completely removed from the first mission. And that first boss was a walk in the park.

Not happy with that kind of pandering TBH.

Great game overall though, hopefully it keeps up.

Edit:
    Damn, I didn't realise you don't run out of breath anymore. FFS! Now idiots can just square spam without consequence.

The first boss being the one
    in the ship
    ? Must've took me close to 10 tries before I got him. Found his first phase the most awkward.

Took my time with that level, really enjoying the combat and it makes farming for amrita a joy. Think I had about 15 samurai points before I noticed the menu where I could spend them. :o :pac:

A little bit into the cave mission at the minute and only lvl26 I think. Will give it another blast tonight before UFC208. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Anyone playing this in 4K? I'm preferring the 60fps more I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Can a mod change the title of this thread, went looking for a demo and there's none.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That is absolutely not what the game is meant to play like. The controls are smooth and consistent, and the game plays very well indeed by pretty much any objective measure. Very possibly a controller issue.

That said, I would sympathise with the suggestion that the game is visually a tad underwhelming. Not bad by any stretch and there's some nice sights & design flourishes dotted about, but it doesn't look amazing either. For all the talk about the Fromsoft games' mechanical depth and difficulty level, it's always been the peerless artistry in storytelling and visual/audio design that allows the games to transcend merely being really good action-RPGs. That's the difference I've found lacking in many efforts to emulate the series' strengths.

However, Nioh is its own thing even if it actively courts such comparisons with the Souls games. To a certain degree, it embraces the sort of design philosophy seen in the likes of Team Ninja's own classics and meshes that with a few of the general ideas popularised by the Souls series (and a handful of directly copied mechanics). If it doesn't have that extraordinary 'something' the Souls games have, it is a damn fine action game on its own terms. And also some graphical allowances should be made given its long gestation period - very possible some of its assets were created quite a few years ago now. I'm also willing to forgive some visual 'downgrading' because action mode comprehensively trumps mere resolution.

I'd take Ni-oh's visual downgrade to give consistent 60 FPS over bloodborne's frame drops and frame pacing issues.

Anyone playing this in 4K? I'm preferring the 60fps more I think.

Can you switch modes again in-game? I dont see an option after I've chosen cinema mode...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd take Ni-oh's visual downgrade to give consistent 60 FPS over bloodborne's frame drops and frame pacing issues.

Not to mention the speed it loads the game in at. When Bloodborne came out it would take close to a minute to get back in after you died.

Advertisement