Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ni-Oh (PS4)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Lute player?

Went and did that Ninja training in the dojo to get access to poision bombs, they're handy. Also had a look at the fire wheel yokai side mission from the first level, it's nice going back to a familiar place with new challenges.

The baldie on the guitar, anytime you see them, rifle headshot from afar for less dangerous solution. They summon the elemental heads and any fallen phantoms in the area, can get overwhelming at times. Sometimes you hear them playing before seeing them, panic :P

I was actually looking at the graphic of them in the amirita memories, their design is actually my fav. the demon is the lute whos holding the dead monks hand to play the lute :D

Which scene did you stop to admire Johnny?

I've been doing alot of random co-op last night, im usually only summoned for bosses which i make quick work of..... or get one shotted from not paying attention :D

They are handy for farming items to sell, i also got my warrior of the west bow as a reward for doing them to complete the set. Never saw any set bows up until that point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

nix wrote: »
    Which scene did you stop to admire Johnny?

First main mission in the third region, the fallen castle overrun by spiders. At one point caught a glimpse of distant defence towers and buildings bathed in moonlight. Looked great. Then back on to mowing through spiders!

Actually got a Warrior of the West bow very early on, although haven't been using the full set as have been focusing on different armour sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Just wondering, what are most people doing with their gear overflow?

I'm seeing some places advocating offering them for amrita, while others say break them down and sell the mats, or use them to make better mats and sell them or make gear every few levels. Level 70-ish now with a smattering of 50-55 gear all from drops.

Just wondering, what are most people doing with their gear overflow?

I'm seeing some places advocating offering them for amrita, while others say break them down and sell the mats, or use them to make better mats and sell them or make gear every few levels. Level 70-ish now with a smattering of 50-55 gear all from drops.

A mix of selling or disassembling, offering is a waste the higher you get, they dont give a whole lot of amirita. I currently need 308000 amirita to level :eek:

I spent most of my resources reforging, so you need broken down equipment and gold for that, gets pricey, i went through all of my gold without realising yesterday.

Yeah I figured just from my own experience that offering had to be off, no doubt it helps with the levelling (along with maybe the Toyotomi Clan boost) but even a 100 pieces worth 500 a piece wouldn't even be a level when you're in the 70s, let alone endgame.

• Advertisement

Getting kinda tired of co-op, just carried a guy all the way through the whole water boss level and got the boss to 5% hp only for him to **** the bed and die, it happens a bit too often and you get feck all out of it if you dont complete it :(

The mission, "meeting on the other side" is the biggest load of bull**** in video gaming history. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

How is the level format compared to the souls open world ?

weiland79 wrote: »
    How is the level format compared to the souls open world ?

In between levels/missions, there is a map, and you have a hub where you can go to to access leveling, vendors etc and you choose what main mission or sub mission you want to do next and then you progress to other zones for more missions.

The hub, Think of like the firelink shrine or hunters dream but you're accessing options and menus instead of running around to NPC's.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Came across those lute players you mentioned so thanks for the heads up on how to deal with them.
    Stuck in that same sub-mission at the minute - locked into an area with several waves of enemies. Can deal with the first 3 waves handy enough but then there's swored welding gits that are way harder. :(

Am I right in saying you can't quit a mission and go back to the map? You're stuck in it til it's completed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying you can't quit a mission and go back to the map? You're stuck in it til it's completed?

Higamori branch, a purple item in your inventory, drops you from the mission but you lose all your Amrita (souls).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's an item that allows you to quit without losing anything too, check through your inventory to see if you have one!

On the subject of the Biwa Boku-Boku Demons (the Lute Players), the "demon" is actually the lute itself rather than the guy playing it so aim for the lute rather than the guy's head. If you look at them in the encyclopedia thing you can actually see the hands playing the lute come from the loot itself.

Anyone figure out what the weak spot of a Tengu is? I can deal with most other enemies without too much hassle but these guys are nightmares.
    There's an item that allows you to quit without losing anything too, check through your inventory to see if you have one!
    Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Higamori branch, a purple item in your inventory, drops you from the mission but you lose all your Amrita (souls).

That's the Himorogi Fragment you're describing, it's a purple key-item you get at the start. The Himorogi Branch is a (blue I think) one-use consumable that lets you go back to the map without losing your Amrita.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already in the thread, but these a sword move where you stun with the sheath, then slash. You can destroy any level reverant with the one move.
    It's great for picking up higher level gear.

derfderf wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already in the thread, but these a sword move where you stun with the sheath, then slash. You can destroy any level reverant with the one move.
    It's great for picking up higher level gear.

It's called Sword of Discernment, very useful.

Got past the
    White Tiger
    which was a cool fight but holy hell the optional sub-boss before it was a nightmare. Same lightning enemy from the adept magic dojo mission, but hits hard and fast. Took a good half dozen tries to finally take it down (compared to two or three times for the main boss). Actually think both encounters with it have been trickier than any of the main campaign bosses to date.

Anyone know what the black crystals do in that level? I assume they give you a boost against Yokai?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The small crystals you can smash? They give you lightning resistance for a time.

I just beat that level too, tried for ages to kill that side boss so just summoned, wrecked him and tore through the boss too. Yes, I am a scrub who summons, has not "Got Gud" and has no regrets!

Ah, lightning resistance makes sense!

Have actually avoided summoning anyone so far, which is strange because I tend to be dreadful for casually calling in help in Dark Souls. Haven't found anything too difficult yet though so we'll see if that can be kept up going into the later game stuff.

Gunmonkey wrote: »

Thanks chaps, have a handful of both of those items but didn't need them after all. Switched my guardian spirit to Fuse-Ushi for the extra health and damage, equipped the attack & defense talisman's and those power pills - completed it on first go after that. Actually, I really should have completed it previously as I hadn't noticed I had collected the bloody boss key and just kept fighting the re-spawns. :o

Disassembled all my junk gear, did some soul matching and reforging and got back out there. Lvl 40 now and on that rain level. Hooked on this game. :D

Downed two more bosses and have one more level to do before setting sail for the second region. Got some Onmyo magic armour so going to try that out for a bit rather than the ninja outfit. Trying out a tasty sword too although it's hard to move away from the kusarigama.

How to folks find the Twilight missions? One popped up on my map for lvl15, I'm lvl40 I think so should be ok?

What kind of gear are you folks rocking, light/medium/heavy? Have really only been using light so I can dodge like a pro. :pac:

• Advertisement

Just me or do the 'recommended level' suggestions become a bit meaningless later on? They're scaling at a level far beyond what I'm earning through normal play (including sub-missions). At the same time, I've played a main mission around ten levels above my current one and found it no bother (albeit with some higher level equipment).

May be sacrilege to some, but part of me wonders if the game might have even benefited from the lite-RPG elements being made even lite-r. I certainly think there's some notable benefits in being able to customise how you play (I say that as a happily overpowered Onmyo mage ;)), but I also feel I spend more time than I'd like in menus during what is above all else an excellent, pure action game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It's the loot system that's totally putting me off. Haven't played for a few days as I simply find the idea of having to sort through my inventory utterly daunting.

Like pretty much everything else except for every single enemy dropping vaguely different versions of the same weapons which just clutter everything up.

I guess some people like this sort of Destiny/Diablo style loot system but I hate it. And both Diablo and Destiny seem to do a much better job of implementing it.

Just me or do the 'recommended level' suggestions become a bit meaningless later on? They're scaling at a level far beyond what I'm earning through normal play (including sub-missions). At the same time, I've played a main mission around ten levels above my current one and found it no bother (albeit with some higher level equipment).

May be sacrilege to some, but part of me wonders if the game might have even benefited from the lite-RPG elements being made even lite-r. I certainly think there's some notable benefits in being able to customise how you play (I say that as a happily overpowered Onmyo mage ;)), but I also feel I spend more time than I'd like in menus during what is above all else an excellent, pure action game.

What level are you rocking at the minute JU? Only level 49 myself and in the second region. In the middle of my first Twilight mission (lvl 30 something I think) and it's ok so far - looks like they change each evening or something.

I don't mind the RPG elements tbh, they provide a bit of relief from the onslaught. But I also like the nerdiness of it, checking through the menus to see if I can learn anything new (usually to be disappointed by not having cleared some mysterious ???? mission. :rolleyes:) or gained any prestige points, doing a bit of blacksmithing etc.

I'm guessing I'm playing the game at a much slower pace than most so the negative aspects don't bother me as much.

One thing I haven't done much of so far is fighting revenants, but apparently the Glory you earn from them can be spent later in the game when some
    treehouse thing
    is unlocked.

DinoRex wrote: »
    It's the loot system that's totally putting me off. Haven't played for a few days as I simply find the idea of having to sort through my inventory utterly daunting.

Like pretty much everything else except for every single enemy dropping vaguely different versions of the same weapons which just clutter everything up.

I guess some people like this sort of Destiny/Diablo style loot system but I hate it. And both Diablo and Destiny seem to do a much better job of implementing it.

Regarding the inventory, I try not to let mine build up too much before visiting the blacksmith. I usually just check if I have anything better than my current gear/weapons or maybe a set piece I want to hold on to. Lock those items then just use R2 to select everything not locked or equipped and dismantle the lot in one go. Nice and tidy inventory again. :)

You get bugger all for selling it and I'm assuming/guessing I might need the materials for some crafting later on in the game.

I was a fan of the loot in Diablo3 alright so the amount of it in this game doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm at the 3rd area and I've still no idea what the blacksmith can do for me.
    I've started to just dissemble unused armour and weapons after each mission. Cant be dealing with going through hundreds of items.
    I'm liking the combat but the enemies are getting boring. Not much variety yet.
    I'm spending most of my time with the kusarigama and dual katanas. Nearly always in low stance. Haven't felt the need to change stances.

Andrew76 wrote:
    What level are you rocking at the minute JU?

Currently at level 85, while the next main mission has a recommended level of 103 (my weapons are currently up around that level). In 5th region, attempting to finish before Zelda next week (complicated at the moment by film festival demands on time).

Here's my somewhat 'make it up as I go along' build as it stands.

nioh-level.jpg

I'm at the 3rd area and I've still no idea what the blacksmith can do for me.
    I've started to just dissemble unused armour and weapons after each mission. Cant be dealing with going through hundreds of items.
    I'm liking the combat but the enemies are getting boring. Not much variety yet.
    I'm spending most of my time with the kusarigama and dual katanas. Nearly always in low stance. Haven't felt the need to change stances.

Lack of variety is definitely a concern. While I'm still encountering some novel and interesting level design later on, the enemy variety almost does it a disservice. So many of the Yokai are just reskins with an extra move or two. Think the game could definitely have been tightened up pacing wise.

I've been using the axe and also haven't found much need to switch from mid stance (low occasionally, never really use high). I have max familiarity with axes and a mystic art (the final axe dojo mission was almost farcically easy), so going to try and force myself to use swords for a bit as they're definitely faster.

And yeah, have just been disassembling weapons and armour en masse too. Easiest way to handle it.

A decent system I've found for loot is to offer everything yellow and below at the shrine, and break down everything blue and above at the blacksmith. That way you're making amrita and getting bonus elixirs while also getting materials for forging armour/weapons if you need them, or just selling off the mats as they're usually worth more.

Unless it has a damage bonus to your main stat, i wouldnt worry too much about hanging on to a weapon, or worry about losing/selling it.

I had a killer sword with a familiarity bonus multiplier and a bonus from the heart stat, i used it for most of the game and changed to try another sword i got at the end of the game. I ended up selling the other sword in error forgetting to put the lock back on it, likely from just doing a fashion change :( I couldnt buy it back either as i sold it with a load of stuff and buyback only lets you buy back your last few items :(

EDIT:

I started another character to run a kurisagma/ninja build, at level 84. Decided im gonna go for platinum, so went to load up my main save where i have finished the game, to start on mastering the other weapons, was a pretty high level and the save file is gone :mad:

This game just keeps fecking me over :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭GeorgeStobort

Thinking of picking this up today . Is the deluxe edition worth the extra cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

nix wrote: »
    EDIT:

I started another character to run a kurisagma/ninja build, at level 84. Decided im gonna go for platinum, so went to load up my main save where i have finished the game, to start on mastering the other weapons, was a pretty high level and the save file is gone :mad:

This game just keeps fecking me over :mad:

Nasty. Read that was an issue last week. Thought it would have been patched by now.

Advertisement