Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to control the Nest?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi ctlsleh,

Thanks for your post, and thanks too to kennethsmyth for providing some solid advice.
    ctlsleh wrote:
    i want to regulate the heating more efficiently, but also want to be able to manage it remotely if needed, for example when away for the day, id like to be able to tunr it on an hour before getting home.

With the Nest smartphone app you can stay in control and change the temperature from wherever you are. The Auto-Schedule feature also means that the Nest will 'learn', i.e. it will program itself to create a personalised schedule based on the temperature changes you've made. It adapts to your habits which makes being energy efficient even easier. Auto-Away also means that the Nest will detect when you're away and will turn itself down to save you energy.

Climote would also be a suitable option, considering its additional multi-zoned heating control and remote control facilities. However, as you mention, there is a recurring SIM-related charge, as the Climote can also be controlled via SMS (which makes it particularly suitable if a customer has poor wifi/broadband connectivity).

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Hi ctlsleh,

Thanks for your post, and thanks too to kennethsmyth for providing some solid advice.
    Originally posted by ctlsleh
    i want to regulate the heating more efficiently, but also want to be able to manage it remotely if needed, for example when away for the day, id like to be able to tunr it on an hour before getting home.

With the Nest smartphone app you can stay in control and change the temperature from wherever you are. The Auto-Schedule feature also means that the Nest will 'learn', i.e. it will program itself to create a personalised schedule based on the temperature changes you've made. It adapts to your habits which makes being energy efficient even easier. Auto-Away also means that the Nest will detect when you're away and will turn itself down to save you energy.

Climote would also be a suitable option, considering its additional multi-zoned heating control and remote control facilities. However, as you mention, there is a recurring SIM-related charge, as the Climote can also be controlled via SMS (which makes it particularly suitable if a customer has poor wifi/broadband connectivity).

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David
    thanks David,

Is the recurring SIM charge mandatory or if i have good Wifi/Broadband speeds which i have, can i control it remotely from an app, even if not in the house?

Eoin

ctlsleh wrote: »
    All,

very interesting, thanks for the feedback. my situation is that i have 3 zones, upstairs, downstairs and hot water, but no external thermostats, only the one thats integrated into the boiler. i want to regulate the heating more efficiently, but also want to be able to manage it remotely if needed, for example when away for the day, id like to be able to tunr it on an hour before getting home.

i know i would need 2 x nests for 3 zones, but id get one free if i moved back to EI, i also dont like the idea of having to pay a recurring fee for the Climote, although i know it will manage 3 zones, havent looked at hive.

Any suggestions on the most appropriate solution?

thanks
    Eoin

Both nest or hive would suit your needs.

Nest uses the thermostat and a heat link (white box).  Heat link is put either in place of programmer or after and you leave programmer permanently on.

Heat link talks wirelessly to nest using its own firm of wireless communication, the nest itself connects directly to your wifi for Internet etc. access.

Hive uses 3 items, the hive thermostat, the heat link type box and a hub (another white box).

Thermostat talks to heat link box via the hub, the hub is plugged into your router.  You would only need one hub for multiple hives.

Nest looks better, has some clever functions.  Hive thermostat is battery powered so it's advantage is putting it where you like easily, it also has physical boost buttons.  Nest needs power either by usb or power from old thermostat wiring
    thanks Kenneth,
    i don't have a programmer other than the timer on front of the boiler and 3 manual levers for the 3 zones, so the Nest heat link would have to replace that somehow. ill take a look at the hive as well as i'm concerned on the long term support of the Nest.

If anyone has preference of nest over Hive Id be interested in hearing, both are remotely, ie offsite accessable from an app i assume?

thanks again,
    Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi again Eoin,

Thank you for getting in touch.

The SIM fee for Climote is mandatory, at a cost of €36 per year. For customers who avail of our Climote plan, this fee is not applicable for the two years of the contract.

Yes, Climote can indeed be controlled from the customer's smart device.

Here is some further information regarding Climote with Electric Ireland on our website.

We are here on Boards.ie and our other social media channels until 6pm if you have any further queries. If you would like to speak directly to the Home Services department, they can be contacted on 1850 30 50 85 until 6pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Kind regards,
    Una

________

Hi again Eoin,

Thank you for getting in touch.

The SIM fee for Climote is mandatory, at a cost of €36 per year. For customers who avail of our Climote plan, this fee is not applicable for the two years of the contract.

Yes, Climote can indeed be controlled from the customer's smart device.

Here is some further information regarding Climote with Electric Ireland on our website.

We are here on Boards.ie and our other social media channels until 6pm if you have any further queries. If you would like to speak directly to the Home Services department, they can be contacted on 1850 30 50 85 until 6pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Kind regards,
    Una

________
    Thanks Una,

One question. on the Nest hot water control, is that based on the boiler heating the Hot Water or on the emmersion element or is it either or?

Sorry for all the questions!

thanks
    Eoin 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi Eoin,

There is no need to apologise for asking questions.

The Nest uses the boiler and heating zones to control hot water, so it would not control your immersion.

We hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

Advertisement