Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bibliography and word counts

Options
  • 27-04-2016 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi there! Just wondering are bibliographies included in the word count? I remember one of my lecturers in Maynooth saying that generally bibliographies are included in word counts, unless otherwise stated. However, I'm currently working on an essay and I'm over the word count by quite a bit! If the bibliography isn't included in the word count I should be grand but if it is included then I could be in trouble! Thanks. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Email your module coordinator. I don't think there's a standard across the campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

I just always assumed it wasnt counted, seems a bit silly if it is?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

clairek6 wrote: »
    I just always assumed it wasnt counted, seems a bit silly if it is?
    I've seen it included where page count is the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I've never studied in Maynooth but I've done a LOT of academic essays in my time and I've NEVER include the bibliography in a word count. Within text referencing, YES, but bibliography NO.

Generally, the wider your reading list, the more it is appreciated by academics. Having to include the bibliog in a word count would be counter-productive, if a wide range of sources is required.

Confirm with the lecturer. But I'd be surprised (very surprised) if the bibliog was included in the word count.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I would double check with your lecturer, but I've found that it generally isn't. You are allowed go over or under the word count by 10%, thats a general rule throughout DCU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Certainly isn't included in the wordcount for DCU Humanities programmes, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 emerald27

Thanks for your help guys. My housemate was certain that the bibliography isn't included in the overall word count but I've emailed my lecturer just to make sure.

Advertisement