Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steinberg UR22 vs Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Options
  • 27-04-2016 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi folks,

This is purely out of interest, I'm not really looking to buy either of these units. I just happened to notice the Steinberg offers more functionality and connectivity and is 10 euro cheaper (on Thomann at least), but the Focusrite still seems more popular. The only thing unique to the Scarlett is switching both inputs between line and inst, while the UR22 can only change one of the inputs from line to inst (by activating high impedance on input 2). The list of things UR22 can do which Scarlett can't is much longer: easier to mix input and DAW levels in headphones output, MIDI in/out, iPad connection, input peak indicators.

Can anyone who has used both say something meaningful about the quality of the mic preamps? It's the only thing I would imagine can make any kind of meaningful difference to the quality of these units. Or is it just a matter of Focusrite being a more popular and better known brand in general and you're really paying for the name?

Looking forward to input!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 intune

I know that the older generation of Focusrite pre's where quite solid. They had a decent build quality for the price. However this could have changed on the new "Scarlett" generation model. I am not 100% sure.

Unless you are looking for amazing quality either one of them will probably do. I'd say you can't go wrong with the Focusrite anyway.
    If budget is limited I'd go 2nd hand all the way. If you are lucky you might pick up a MOTU even.

I recently go rid of my smaller Focusrite unit and got a MOTU instead and it is INCREDIBLE !

Advertisement