Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not happy with Vet (dog)

• 27-04-2016 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭

This is more of a rant then looking for advice but Im really pissed off with the vets practice/practices we have been using for the last few years.

Our Lab got a bad cut between 2 of her toes that cut through the skin on the webbing, took her to the vet week before last and got her stitched up and bandaged 10 days ago.

Went back to the vet last week to get the bandages changed and a check up. After her 1st trip and bandaging she was only going around on 3 paws and wouldnt put the bandaged 1 on the ground. (after she was cut and before the vet she was using her 4 paws) The vet on the 2nd visit wasnt happy that she wouldnt put her paw on the ground but went ahead and rebandaged the paw up.

(This vet wasnt the same vet we had the 1st visit and I had to explain everything that had happened all over again to him. He was then asking had she been knocked down by a car and saying she might need xrays etc after. I dont think we,ve ever had the same vet twice in this practice in the last 6 years. )

Over the last few days she was nipping at the top of the bandage and constantly licking the back of her leg. Looking at her leg yesterday I noticed the pad on the back of the leg had been damaged and the skin nearly worn off it, we then removed the bandaged completely and noticed that it felt tight to remove and that the dew claw and skin around it had been worn away slightly and was there was dried blood around it. We cleaned her up and disinfected the pad and claw and then rebandaged her a little looser. This morning shes been using the cut paw more and putting pressure on it and not going at the back of her leg as much with her mouth.

I just feel pissed that the vet has caused her more damage to her leg and bandaged parts of the leg that didnt need it and the fact we never get the same person twice. I duno if this is the same in every vets practice though

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

It depends partly on the size of the practise. I think there are generally either 2 or 3 at our local vet, so we don't always see the same vet, but would have have seen each of the vets there several times over the years.

It's probably worth telling the vet that you weren't happy with the treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

we went to a very big practise to have surgery on our dog - we used to go to them years back, but moved to a closer vet, but went to this big practise for a major surgery as they were known for this specific expertise. I always asked when going back for appointments to see the vet who did the operation - i.e. scheduled the appointment for the day/time that vet was on duty.

Otherwise I go back to our usual medium sized practise - with routine stuff its never an issue who we see - if its just jabs/small things etc - but if its for ongoing stuff, that my dog has been seeing a specific vet, I will ALWAYS make the appointment with that specific vet, when s/hes on duty.

I too would complain to the practise with your dissatisfaction - afterall how will they know you had an issue if you dont complain. Phone the receptionist, ask for an email address, or the phone number of the practise manager

Once you are not happy/confident with your vet, I would try to find another - get recommendations/referrals - going to a vet when you have a PROBLEM is no fun if you dont feel confident in the service...

Advertisement