Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

W7 Update issue Current behaviour “Checking for updates” runs for many hours

• 27-04-2016 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

W7 Update issue
    Current behaviour “Checking for updates” runs for many hours without detecting any.
    Troubleshooting steps taken,
    I installed MS “fix” KB 3135445,
    Ran Fix WU Utility v 1.0 ( This utility will re-register a total of 114 .dll,* ocx and .ax files which are required for the proper functioning of Windows Updates. )
    Cleared Windows Update Cache, following correct procedure.
    Ran Windows update diagnostic.diagcab which detected issues, (see attch result 1 & result 2) which flagged an error RC_DataStore code 0X800F081F. I have tried researching this to no avail.
    I then ran a repair utility from the reputable “tweaking.com” the log attch “Repair_Windows_Updates” which may reveal info to those wiser than me .
    I also attch a list of current updates in the system the last being Net Framework 4.6.1.
    The Dell laptop is clean of infections / malware and stable. Security essentials updates do run well. So I'm out of ideas now and welcome your input .

Comments

You're not the only one. I've set up a couple of Windows 7 machines over the last week and had to leave them checking for updates overnight! They had KB3102810 and KB3135445 installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

mrtom wrote: »
    W7 Update issue
    Current behaviour “Checking for updates” runs for many hours without detecting any.
    Troubleshooting steps taken,
    I installed MS “fix” KB 3135445,
    Ran Fix WU Utility v 1.0 ( This utility will re-register a total of 114 .dll,* ocx and .ax files which are required for the proper functioning of Windows Updates. )
    Cleared Windows Update Cache, following correct procedure.
    Ran Windows update diagnostic.diagcab which detected issues, (see attch result 1 & result 2) which flagged an error RC_DataStore code 0X800F081F. I have tried researching this to no avail.
    I then ran a repair utility from the reputable “tweaking.com” the log attch “Repair_Windows_Updates” which may reveal info to those wiser than me .
    I also attch a list of current updates in the system the last being Net Framework 4.6.1.
    The Dell laptop is clean of infections / malware and stable. Security essentials updates do run well. So I'm out of ideas now and welcome your input .
    It's happening to a lot of people.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/395189-w7-update-issues-unbelievable.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Karsini wrote: »
    You're not the only one. I've set up a couple of Windows 7 machines over the last week and had to leave them checking for updates overnight! They had KB3102810 and KB3135445 installed.

Howdy,

I have had this issue with any windows 7 clean installs i have done lately. Tried all the various suggestions ive seen in the support forums. This post has worked for me each time.
    This issue has come and gone over the years with different fixes along the way, so here is my updated guide to this issue as of this date January 5th, 2016

This is what I do when I reinstall Windows 7 with SP1 or have issues with Windows update stuck on checking for updates.

If Service Pack 1 is not installed, install it before following this guide.

Choose

windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
    for 64bit W7 or

windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe
    for 32bit W7

Download KB-3138612 and save it where you can find it later

Download SUR Tool save it to same place

Restart the PC and disconnect from internet before Windows loads, this is important because at every boot windows will check for updates in the background and this will start the checking for updates hang all over again and will prevent the install of the downloaded packages until it finishes checking, so disconnecting from the internet before Windows loads prevents this.

Once booted install KB-3138612, if reboot is required do so and stay disconnected from internet.

Now install the SUR Tool package, this is a big package and will install many updates along with cleaning up and repairing the Windows update store. It will also cut down on how many more Windows updates will need to be installed later.

After install of SUR package reboot, connect to internet and do a manual Windows Update, it should work much faster now. Even after these fixes I have seen some W7 PC's take up to an hour to finish checking for updates if launched from Control Panel manually.

If you have other Windows updates issues and the 2 updates above are installed, download this Microsoft Windows Update fixit tool (right click "save link as") run it and select aggressive mode to completely reset Windows updates. Reboot and try Windows Updates from the Control Panel again.

From here, download links are in the post:
    http://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭mrtom

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Howdy,

I have had this issue with any windows 7 clean installs i have done lately. Tried all the various suggestions ive seen in the support forums. This post has worked for me each time.

From here, download links are in the post:
    http://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates

In my case, after my logs were analysed by the boffins at tweaking.com, the reply:
    I was reading through your log and i saw it pop up with missing qmgr.dat and im assuming since it could not find the catroot folder it was already deleted no worries there windows rebuilds that with the cryptographic service.
    And then the solution presented which I would never have found or understood:

net stop cryptsvc
    esentutl /p
    %systemroot%\System32\catroot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catdb
    rmdir /s /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old
    md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old
    xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s
    del /f /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\*.*
    net start cryptsvc
    pause

Reboot and updates detected & installed.
    I'm happy to delete the blunderbuss of failed "fix" solutions I had been polluting my system with!!

Advertisement