Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External door and window

Options
  • 27-04-2016 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I have a little one story studio at the end of my garden which I want to put an external door and adjacent window in so my friend can use it as a studio flat.

I want the window to have tinted glass as it's coming on to an external private lane.

Nothing fancy, just a functional door and window to give access and leave some light in.

Roughly how much would this cost?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

amsbam1 wrote: »
    I have a little one story studio at the end of my garden which I want to put an external door and adjacent window in so my friend can use it as a studio flat.

I want the window to have tinted glass as it's coming on to an external private lane.

Nothing fancy, just a functional door and window to give access and leave some light in.

Roughly how much would this cost?

Is planning required?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭amsbam1

kceire wrote: »
    Is planning required?

As it's only a door going on to a private lane, we were thinking of doing it without planning permission. I am not sure how much hassle planning permission would be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

amsbam1 wrote: »
    As it's only a door going on to a private lane, we were thinking of doing it without planning permission. I am not sure how much hassle planning permission would be.

It's not the door that I would class as a problem, but the conversion into habitable accommodation that may draw attention to itself and thus Planning Enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭amsbam1

kceire wrote: »
    It's not the door that I would class as a problem, but the conversion into habitable accommodation that may draw attention to itself and thus Planning Enforcement.

Yes, that's a fair point. It is a risk, maybe we should apply for planning permission to do this. I will post for opinion on the planning forum.

Advertisement