Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New driver. Whose best to go to?

• 27-04-2016 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I'm 36 years old, only started driving but it's going well that when I can sit my test in August I'm going to, but the quotes I'm doing online are huge. I know I'm a new driver but if I'm 36 with a full license surely I shouldn't be declined by half the companies online that I'm doing quotes with.

Anyone any recommendations on who to try?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Most will have either massive quotes online or won't quote a new driver, your better off calling them to get a quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 EmonMCC

Similar question here. I'm not a new driver per se, around 20 years driving in Germany and the last 5 in the states. Will it make any difference if I bring my current GEICO policy and a statement of no claims for both the US and the German car insurances I have/had? Also I'm bringing my German license which was issued like 22 years ago (new plastic card now of course) if that makes a difference. I'm pretty sure that nobody gives a s**t about my California license and I even understand that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some companies will allow your no-claims history from overseas insurance to apply. I'm not sure which any more, but you do have to call them to find out, forget the on-line systems which just deal with standard cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mairel

We have insurance with Liberty Insurance Ireland after 40+ years of driving in the U.S. They asked us for a letter from our last insurer plus contact information so they could verify our insured status, and then they gave us the reduced rate, with the provision that we get a full Irish license within one year, as required by the RSA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm a US driver (30+years) and was able to get a no-claims bonus from Allianz using my US license as if I was a provisional driver, with the cooperation of my old insurance company in the US. No change when I actually got my provisional Irish license. I'll be calling them up soon with my full license in hand (I passed my test last Friday). My husband does not drive at all due to vision problems, so I'm the only driver. No requirement to get a full license in a year (this is actually not required by the RSA; the only thing that happens is you are no longer allowed to drive on the US license after a year's residency).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 EmonMCC

Thanks for these clarifications. I'll touch base with GEICO and ask them to send me a letter. I was wondering about that requirement for an Irish license though. As far as I know a German license is good for life in any EU country. Could be different for US licenses but I don't know and don't care about that :D My Calif. license will expire a few weeks after we arrive in the ROI anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Padraig1888

Any companies to recommend to go as a new driver? Have a friend who works for a company said he can get it for 2 grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Call them all, only option

Advertisement