Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resetting Windows 10 local account password?

• 27-04-2016 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

I've a friend who recently bought a new Windows 10 laptop and can't remember her password.

I haven't had access to the machine yet, so not sure of all the details.

I think it's a local account, so resetting her Live password online won't help.

It came pre-installed, so don't have a Windows 10 DVD to boot from, as some solutions suggest. I don't think the machine has a DVD drive anyway

I've seen using a password reset drive suggested, but as far as I can see that requires having already saved the specific user credentials on a USB stick, which again, don't have.

I'm on Windows 8.1 myself. I've got an 8GB USB stick. Any suggestions on the most straightforward way of solving the problem?
    I'm thinking maybe create a bootable W10 USB, and then follow the
    "Create a new user" option here to create another user to get in, and then reset the original account password?

Does that make sense?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Check whether she has BitLocker enabled - if she has, you can't tinker with the SAM database without permanently losing access to any non-public files.

If she doesn't, best bet is to create a bootable copy of NTPasswd (this can be on a USB stick using something like YUMI or on a CD) and blank the account password.

Advertisement