Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are gardai trained in self defence

• 27-04-2016 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Do the gardai get any training in self defence? i read a story of a garda that had to leave the force because of a back injury in an assault. There were several gardai at it. One of the people who assaulted him was a female.
    There was pepper spray involved too. It said the garda was a former judo champion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

rucksack wrote: »
    Do the gardai get any training in self defence? i read a story of a garda that had to leave the force because of a back injury in an assault. There were several gardai at it. One of the people who assaulted him was a female.
    There was pepper spray involved too. It said the garda was a former judo champion

Do you have a link to the story?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rucksack

I don't know what format that site is but I can't read it.

Any chance you can cut and paste the story here please?.

Although I sometimes train with the AGS judo club I've no idea what kind of training they get in Templemore. Maybe your question is better posted in the Emergency Services Forum?

I don't know what format that site is but I can't read it.

Any chance you can cut and paste the story here please?.

Although I sometimes train with the AGS judo club I've no idea what kind of training they get in Templemore. Maybe your question is better posted in the Emergency Services Forum?
    can't sorry. That is a strange site. The preview only lasts a few seconds then it says "preview time over" or similar

can't sorry. That is a strange site. The preview only lasts a few seconds then it says "preview time over" or similar

Its very strange indeed.

I think you should probably post the question in the Emergency Services forum.

Like I've said I've trained with AGS Judo club, but I never thought of asking about any job training they might get.

I suspect that they probably do a module or two during their initial training in Templemore and never go back to it once they're finished training but I'm really not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

I asked my aunt once who works at garda HQ and she asked some colleagues for me. The general gist was that handcuff/arresting/batton techniques can be learned at a few courses a year but no continuous professional training is offered.

I'm intrigued to hear more about it though if any Gardai want to chime in.

A friends sister is a garda and got pulled onto the ground as she was leaning over a down perp - hurting her head badly.

From experience training in bujinkan, it takes quite a bit of regular training to muscle memory the postures and dynamic movement needed to maintain balance in this kind of position - straight spine, solid base, use of body weight etc so its areal shame they don't regularly training in it, if that's the case.

Learning on-the-job seems a poor way to manage potential assault.

Whats the trend in police forces in general? Uk? Europe? Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

While I'm not at all questioning the legitimacy of the story, that has to be one of the worst websites I've ever seen

BOHtox wrote: »
    While I'm not at all questioning the legitimacy of the story, that has to be one of the worst websites I've ever seen
    there seems to be something wrong with the free view period. it goes to ended in a few secs. The story is true i saw it in the hard copy - in a shop so can't scan

there seems to be something wrong with the free view period. it goes to ended in a few secs. The story is true i saw it in the hard copy - in a shop so can't scan

Not doubting the story is true at all.

But man what an awful website.

I tried to google the names and nothing else comes up for Garda Eoin Clifford or Michael Stokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

THe first paragraph (as far as I got) says that the garda (in his 40s) was kicked in the torso by a man in his 30s. I think the way your phrased your post was a bit misleading. A woman might have hit him too in the scramble, but I'm not sure that particularly relevant.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    THe first paragraph (as far as I got) says that the garda (in his 40s) was kicked in the torso by a man in his 30s. I think the way your phrased your post was a bit misleading. A woman might have hit him too in the scramble, but I'm not sure that particularly relevant.
    sorry i was trying to recall from read in shop. I still think it was a poor showing several gardai there and pepper spray too, It would not encourage me to study judo

From the info I gathered in my few second scan. It mentioned he was a u21s footballer in in youth, and did judo in his youth. He was now in his 40s. The person (well people) where drunk and aggressive. Headbutting somebody is what kicked it off.
    I don't think a man in his 40s being injured in a significant reflection on the judo he he did 20 years ago.
    "Champion" is throw about very easily by the media. When he was training also a huge factor. What if he was force to quit 20 years ago due to a serious injury?

I occasionally train nogi with a Judo (masters) world champion, he's in his 60s now and still competing. And hands down one of the toughest people I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I still think it was a poor showing several gardai there and pepper spray too, It would not encourage me to study judo

Why not ?
    The best fighter in the world can get caught out depending on the circumstances. I know for a fact that I could knock out Mayweather (but not if he was standing facing me on a one on one and had his fists up!!)

I couldn't be 100% sure but AFAIK what they'd receive would be control and restraint training along with handcuff/pepper spray/baton training but no specific 'fight' training. It's all about controlling situations and self defence - not becoming involved in brawling.

Why not ?
    The best fighter in the world can get caught out depending on the circumstances. I know for a fact that I could knock out Mayweather (but not if he was standing facing me on a one on one and had his fists up!!)

I couldn't be 100% sure but AFAIK what they'd receive would be control and restraint training along with handcuff/pepper spray/baton training but no specific 'fight' training. It's all about controlling situations and self defence - not becoming involved in brawling.
    There were several gardai there and as far as i recall one man and a woman. They were hardly caught out they knew what was happening and had caled and got back up. There are many claims by garda unions about all the assaults they are subject to so they do not seem very effective at defending themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭cletus

From what a garda has told me me, they get a minimal amount of training in Templemore (perhaps the equivalent of 2 weeks), in restraint and control.

There is no ongoing training once you are on the force.

At least thats how it was 15 years ago. However I dont think it has changed all that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭cletus

Also, with regards to getting caught out, it is not easy to restrain somebody that doesnt want to be restrained, particularly if you must do so in a manner that causes as little injury as possible to the peson being restrained.

A garda cant standing guillotine somebody unconscious and drop them on the floor ala Jon Jones, they cant snap a wrist or an arm to prevent the person from moving, they cant knock a person uot with a right hook, then cuff them.

It would not encourage me to study judo

I don't blame you, but have you considered AMERI-DO-TE under Master Ken?.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nathan G

I know a few guards, the training is slim but all of them attend some form of MA class in there free time.

Nathan G wrote: »
    I know a few guards, the training is slim but all of them attend some form of MA class in there free time.

I know a few guards, and none of them attend MA classes or ever have done any training outside of the basics. I'd guess that across the whole force, the ones that don't do MA outweigh those that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nathan G

Mellor wrote: »
    I know a few guards, and none of them attend MA classes or ever have done any training outside of the basics. I'd guess that across the whole force, the ones that don't do MA outweigh those that do.

That is true, when i said all of them i meant the ones i knew. But yes most don't even try to attain a base level of fitness from what i hear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement