Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English comparative

Options
  • 27-04-2016 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Can someone help me understand how to tackle the comparative in a structured way. I find it hard to relate the question back to the cultural context/ general visions and viewpoint. Any advice for answering it well? Length etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Leavingcert16

What my teacher told us to do is have five paragraphs in the cultural context question. Each paragraph is a page. Then she gives us titles to structure each paragraph on such as treatment of women, importance of material wealth, social class, religion, race and power. Then you relate each of these to the question being asked. I haven't done GGVP so I don't know how to structure that. Any questions about cultural context you can ask

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Lottie16 wrote: »
    Can someone help me understand how to tackle the comparative in a structured way. I find it hard to relate the question back to the cultural context/ general visions and viewpoint. Any advice for answering it well? Length etc.

Take a look at this post from a few years back:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83264147&postcount=2

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lottie16

Thanks for the help! I was just wondering would ye recommend doing the 70 mark or the 30 40 one

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Thanks for the help! I was just wondering would ye recommend doing the 70 mark or the 30 40 one

You should practise both of them and see which one you personally find easier. I usually go for the 30/40 marks one as I find it easier to split questions up into smaller parts rather than one big word-vomit - however it's purely a matter of personal preference. It will also depend on which question looks easier on the day - don't put all your eggs in one basket in case the question that that basket gives you turns out to be horrible and you don't have any practise with the other one

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rosalind151

I found it very helpful to make a table. Get your 3 texts on one side of the table and the comparative aspects on the other. e.g. for cultural context you can have role of gender, role of money etc. Repeat it for every comparative mode that is relevant to you. It really helps to structure things. Got this advice from past students who did well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Sorry but I have to disagree with a previous poster: do not write page long paragraphs (if I'm understanding them right), you'll probably get docked marks on structure.

Here is how I usually tackle a comparative:

1. Write out the names and authors of the texts you've studied and state your stance on the question (be careful, sometimes a statement is given. You're responding to the question, not the statement).

2. Give an outline plan, state your points.

3. Just start on whatever text.

4. Next para, compare it to another text AND MAKE SURE TO USE A LINKING DEVICE AT THE START OF EVERY PARA (this is Code C, which they will be looking out for). For example: similarly, in contrast, yano whatever.

5. Next para do the same thing but comparing your third text.

6. Repeat steps 3-5 however many times with your different aspects of CC or GV.

7. In your conclusion, don't just repeat your introduction, try and bring the question further.

- Refer back to the question in EVERY paragraph.
    - Use quotes throughout.
    - Approx. 5 pages
    - Don't give plot summaries.

Remember you are being marked on Purpose, Coherence, Language, Mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

For my LC, our teacher (and others in the school) recommended the 30/40 style question. Obviously if you don't like the question or something to that effect, don't force yourself. Practice both and you'll see what style suits you. I personally preferred the 30/40 split because you did not have to write as much and "waffle" was not required.

A useful site was leavingcertenglish(dot)net. (I can't post links, I'm a new user, sorry!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure to base your answer on the question asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

How important are quotes from your texts?

I've learnt zero quotes from either texts as the teacher said they're unnecessary (????), but I have good knowledge of key events and references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

How important are quotes from your texts?

I've learnt zero quotes from either texts as the teacher said they're unnecessary (????), but I have good knowledge of key events and references.

You should have a few quotes here and there, just focus on the really important ones though. And remember you can always paraphrase if you have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Rosalind151

luftmensch wrote: »
    You should have a few quotes here and there, just focus on the really important ones though. And remember you can always paraphrase if you have to.

Think you are right, I have like 1-2 per text for comparative. I think they are more important for poetry and single text :)

Advertisement