Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy decent inexpensive hanging baskets?

Options
  • 27-04-2016 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know anywhere to get decent quality hanging baskets that aren't too expensive? The cheaper the better, I want to buy a few.

I had a look on bloomingbaskets but as soon as I realised that they're not open until 9th of May, I left.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm sure either Aldi or Lidl had a large selection of pots and baskets and other garden stuff around now.... check their websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Cool, never thought of them, thanks, will have a look.

Otherwise, the likes of Woodies/B&Q/Homebase are sure to have tons of that stuff at this time of year.

They both have lots, but don't seem to have any hanging baskets with flowers. Not sure anything on the pages would be suitable. I'll have to head into them to have a look.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-28-april/

http://www.lidl.ie/en/plantsandflowers.htm

Is there anywhere else around? I can't find many. I'm not even sure what kind of price range I should be looking at :D

Around €10 - €15 a basket? Would that be normal?

Are you looking for ready-planted baskets? I have no idea what they'd cost, but I'd imagine there would be a fair premium on them.

Buy a few baskets, a bag of compost and a load of bedding plants and bob's yer uncle..... any garden centre (either a dedicated one or as I said the likes of Woodies/B&Q etc all have big garden sections) will sort you out no bother. Whereabouts are you?

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Are you looking for ready-planted baskets? I have no idea what they'd cost, but I'd imagine there would be a fair premium on them.

Buy a few baskets, a bag of compost and a load of bedding plants and bob's yer uncle..... any garden centre (either a dedicated one or as I said the likes of Woodies/B&Q etc all have big garden sections) will sort you out no bother. Whereabouts are you?

Thanks, yeah I might do something like that.
    It's for my Mothers house in Kinsealy. She's away so wanted to surprise her when she gets back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's a bit early if you're looking for summer baskets, because they can't be hung out until after the end of May. Up until then there's always the chance of a night frost which would kill off the plants.

Allyall wrote: »
    Thanks, yeah I might do something like that.
    It's for my Mothers house in Kinsealy. She's away so wanted to surprise her when she gets back.
    Awwww! How lovely is that!

I'd say the big hardware stores or a garden centre might do ready-done-up ones. But like I say i suspect you'll pay a big premium. If you've a few hours and a table handy, do them yourself - it's very therapeutic!

Awwww! How lovely is that!

I'd say the big hardware stores or a garden centre might do ready-done-up ones. But like I say i suspect you'll pay a big premium. If you've a few hours and a table handy, do them yourself - it's very therapeutic!

Yeah, I don't mind doing them up, not sure which flowers to get etc.. I suppose just some random colours? :)

Not sure what the time frame would be either, I am weeding the garden and found a giant overgrown area down the back, so clearing that out and planning on planting a bit and trimming around.
    I'm sure I'll get it all done, but it'll be tight.
    She's back Friday morning, and I'll be there until dark/this time tomorrow night. I guess I'll get to Aldi early (they had baskets and plants) in the morning.
    Hopefully they'll have some left.

Dizzyblonde has a point (which I'd not thought of) - the cold! It's still going down into the minus figures at night, which will do for non-hardened plants.

Maybe set it all up and have it ready for planting at a later stage, and in the meantime do some research into what plants might make a nice display?

• Advertisement

Didn't see that post - sorry Dizzyblonde :)

Okay, that's that then :D

Thanks. I'll get the gardening done and anything else I can think of, maybe get one pre-made basket. (I'm assuming the pre-made ones are okay?

I've never even looked at them, tbh.

Just make sure that the plants look like they've been watered, ie not drooping lifelessly. And if you can find one that's been stored outdoors it'll be hardier and less likely to keel over with shock when hung outdoors.

Yep, saw a few outdoors today, but seemed pricey (€30), and weren't that big.
    I'll have a look around tomorrow, I've seen another place online, Johnson garden centre, I might have a look there.

Whereabouts are you? I always go to Newlands Garden Centre, they're incredibly helpful and really look after their stock. I've heard good things about Johnstown as well, but never been there.

Whereabouts are you? I always go to Newlands Garden Centre, they're incredibly helpful and really look after their stock. I've heard good things about Johnstown as well, but never been there.

I was looking for anywhere really, I don't think I'll be going to Johnstown didn't realise they were in Kildare.
    I'll be coming from Oldtown, so I'll head to Tully's or Kinsealy and probably pick something up in one of those.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are you around Swords? There is a fab garden centre on the Ratoath road, who both sell pre made baskets, and will give you a load of help to make your own.

They also have a lovely cafe :)

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you around Swords? There is a fab garden centre on the Ratoath road, who both sell pre made baskets, and will give you a load of help to make your own.

They also have a lovely cafe :)

What are they called do you know?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Allyall wrote: »
    What are they called do you know?

http://ratoathgardencentre.ie/#about

Ratoath Garden Centre, now I'm not a massive gardener, but I love the place.

Fantastic range of plants, great service, and the cafe is lovely :)

Great, I'll call in there so.
    That's me sorted.

Coffee on the way :)

Thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

EDIT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You could buy a basket full of something like pansies that can be outdoors now, then take them out and replace them with summer flowers once the weather gets warmer :)

You could buy a basket full of something like pansies that can be outdoors now, then take them out and replace them with summer flowers once the weather gets warmer :)

PERFECT timing!! :D
    Literally running out the door now :D

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

If you can find a nursery where plants are grown from scratch, they are usually far cheaper than garden centres. They are the people who supply garden centres...

Usually you can leave in your baskets and they will fill them for you.

Miles cheaper than buying in garden centres etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Don't forget Jones Garden centre on the Hearse Rd ,Donabate ,(just off the Lisenhall interchange)...http://jonesgc.com/ ... a lovely plant ,that can still be planted from seed at the moment is Night Scented Stock ... https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q=night+scented+stock ... dead simple to grow and they fill the house and garden with a beautiful scent in the evenings all summer long.

Advertisement