Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

traffic on n40 to mahon on Friday evening

Options
  • 27-04-2016 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Need to go from Wilton to mahon point on Friday evening to be there at 6.45. Is traffic congestion bad? Best to leave at 6 or leave till half past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Go for 6 i would recommend, the volume of traffic on the N40 at that hour in incredible, never lone a Friday, a bank holiday weekend and all it takes is 1 incident and it all just grinds along at strolling pace.

If you do get to Mahon point early reward yourself with a coffee. Bear in mind as well that after the Bloomfield interchange a 3rd lane appears and you can go into that for the Mahon exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

seefin wrote: »
    Need to go from Wilton to mahon point on Friday evening to be there at 6.45. Is traffic congestion bad? Best to leave at 6 or leave till half past?

there's a huge difference between going through the tunnel and going to Mahon Point (from Wilton).

Go at 6 and you will get not much traffic, 6.30 the volume will be gone.

If there is a crash which will be all over local radio don't use the link to go to Mahon Point.

If you need to there for 6.45, 6.30 is very tight. You'll need to get parking as well. If it's something that you absolutely can't be late for I would go at 6 just in case. if it's no biggy I'd go at 6.25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

clerk wrote:
    If there is a crash which will be all over local radio don't use the link to go to Mahon Point.

clerk wrote:
    there's a huge difference between going through the tunnel and going to Mahon Point (from Wilton).

clerk wrote:
    Go at 6 and you will get not much traffic, 6.30 the volume will be gone.

clerk wrote:
    If you need to there for 6.45, 6.30 is very tight. You'll need to get parking as well. If it's something that you absolutely can't be late for I would go at 6 just in case. if it's no biggy I'd go at 6.25.

Cheers. I might try at 6.15 as a compromise !! Not end of world if late, just a movie..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

At that time of the day, I would actually go :

Wilton-City City Centre (avoid Douglas area entirely)
    Take the old Blackrock Road .. Blackrock Road ... Out into Mahon and go in through the Loughmahon Road / Tech park from the other side and skip the N40 entirely.

The traffic levels on it at that peak time are mostly traffic going East and to Carrigaline causing delays.

kub wrote:
    If you do get to Mahon point early reward yourself with a coffee. Bear in mind as well that after the Bloomfield interchange a 3rd lane appears and you can go into that for the Mahon exit.

Where's Bloomfield interchange? Are you talking about the Douglas exit or rochestown one? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Bloomfield is the Rochestown/Carrigaline exit.

Doesn't peak rush hour happen earlier on a Friday? Should be grand by 6.30 unless there is a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yeah, 6.30 on Friday would normally be fine. 6.15 would be loads of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I would think by 6pm on Friday, traffic is starting to ease off as most people have already gone on their commute home by then. Also, as said, it's the tunnel and getting OUT of Mahon that is the problem. Getting into Mahon at that time should be relatively fine. Wouldn't leave it later than 6:15 though and God help you if there's a crash to deal with :eek:

Bacchus wrote:
    I would think by 6pm on Friday, traffic is starting to ease off as most people have already gone on their commute home by then. Also, as said, it's the tunnel and getting OUT of Mahon that is the problem. Getting into Mahon at that time should be relatively fine. Wouldn't leave it later than 6:15 though and God help you if there's a crash to deal with

Be worse if I'm the one in the crash :-0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

12Phase wrote: »

Take the old Blackrock Road .. Blackrock Road ... Out into Mahon and go in through the Loughmahon Road / Tech park from the other side and skip the N40 entirely.

The traffic levels on it at that peak time are mostly traffic going East and to Carrigaline causing delays.
    That's a little extreme surely, just get off at Douglas and go up the Well Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

6.15 is plenty of time. I do that same trip from 'me mammys' to my own house regularly at all sorts of hours and it'd be rare enough to get stuck. At that time on a Friday there's no problem usually.

Listen to LOCAL radio from 5.30 onwards and you can decide then just to be sure. Don't listen to Today FM / 2FM etc as the traffic in Harolds Cross or the M50 isn't going to be of concern to you and they just trot out the same old blackspots around the country for the rest of the reports !!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Madness and no need for it, you would be longer going that way.
    Unless there is a crash the N40 South Ring is the best way.

Exiting into Douglas at peak times can take a very long time and there's often no traffic on the route I suggested as it's mostly the opposite flow direction to major traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Agree with 12Phase, heading up the old blackrock road would make sense, youd skip a lot of it...Mind tis splits ville really. Your going to get caught in traffic..I would think if you want to make sure you are there on time head in early as in before half five youll beat all the traffic but youll be well early.. Or leave at six and prepare for the pain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Exiting into Douglas at peak times can take a very long time and there's often no traffic on the route I suggested as it's mostly the opposite flow direction to major traffic.
    I think it's madness anyway, you're adding on miles through narrow roads to your journey when the alternative is getting held up in traffic at the bottom of the Douglas slip for a minute or two.

Google maps won't even suggest that as a route to get an estimation of the extra distance.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I think it's madness anyway, you're adding on miles through narrow roads to your journey when the alternative is getting held up in traffic at the bottom of the Douglas slip for a minute or two.

Google maps won't even suggest that as a route to get an estimation of the extra distance.

I've been held ***a lot*** longer than 2 min getting from Douglas to Mahon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

seefin wrote: »

So how'd it go??

Was grand. Left at qtr past 6. There was some congestion near rochestown turnoff so delayed about ten minutes but just made it...went easy Cork route and just took mahon turn off...

Advertisement