Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog training

• 27-04-2016 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi has anyone here tried hollybarns dog training? Or can you recommend someone. I don't really want to put my dog into a training centre for a week or more
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The purpose of training is not to train the dog but to train the owner how to do it. Residential training does not do this as when the dog comes back the owner still does not know how to achieve the desired result.

Unless the dog has some specific behaviour issue that an experienced and properly qualified behaviourist needs to assess without the owners presence for some reason I would not send a dog to any sort of residential program.

What are your specific training issues and where are you based?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That's in Sligo, is it? Is that where you're based OP?
    Whilst positive dog training isn't always about using food as a primary motivator, I find it odd that a positive trainer would proclaim as an opening gambit that dogs are trained without food or treats. If you're into positive training, and you don't use food treats, you're cutting out what is a huge motivator for many dogs, and I just don't understand why you'd want to do that!
    I'd share AJ's scepticism when it comes to residential training... unless the trainer is seriously thorough with dog and particularly owner when it comes to maintaining the training, it often turns out to be a waste of time and money. There are precious few residential trainers in Ireland who can do this.
    Anyway, there is a fella based in Sligo who's professionally certified and who'll come to see you in your own home. Cillian Costigan of 5-Star Dog Training...
    http://apdt.ie/index.php/find-a-trainer/dog-trainers-in-sligo/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Random2016

Hi thanks for getting back to me. I live in the midlands and have got my dog trained before but it was not a success. I was blamed for spoiling her! I want someone to help me train my girl to be the best that she can be but I'm not into putting her into a training camp if you like!

That website that I linked you to has a county-by-county list of certified dog trainers, one of whom may be near enough to you to help you out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Random2016 wrote: »
    I live in the midlands and have got my dog trained before but it was not a success.

I'm not sure if this means that some trained your dog for you and handed her back trained?

Personally, for any dog it is always the owner that needs training not the dog.

Honestly I'm confused as to what you are looking for? Is it someone to come to you to teach you how to work with your dog?

• Advertisement

What is it you want her to be at her best at? Herding sheep, retrieving game, or just following basic commands like sit, leave it etc? Or is it housetraining/'manners'/managing energy levels?. You are going to have to be a bit more specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Random2016

sorry. I just want her to be more socialable and do as she is told. ie: stop barking, walk beside me without chasing the nearest thing that moves. come when called

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

What training have you done with her already? And I mean you, not a trainer? Does she respond to you? How much training to you do on a daily basis?

There are a few things there that people on here can give you advice on how to train.

The most important factor that all training has in common though is timing. That you need someone to help you with in person. If your timing is right and you are consistent with your training i.e. do it the same way every time the dog will learn. It takes some dogs a few times to 'get' it, it takes some a few hundred or it could be anywhere in between.

I would start with something very simple, like sit. Get a good trainer to help you understand the timing i.e. when to reward the dog. Once you have this down you can teach any command you want. Don't try to do to much to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ro.mcdonagh

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could advise on a good residential program. As we are going on holiday and will have to use kennels anyway we would like to get the most out of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could advise on a good residential program. As we are going on holiday and will have to use kennels anyway we would like to get the most out of the time.

I cannot stress enough here - dont waste your money.

I sent my cocker to Fircroft kennels in Kildare (before i knew any better) cost me €700 for 2 weeks - he came back double the size, yes he would perform recall no probs infront of them and for them but for NO ONE else.

The thing about training a dog is it ONLY works when both owners and dog train together - in the end i had to spend another €200 to have a dog trainer come around to the house - she trained us mostly... but she gave me 5 main principles to do....2 months later he was a different dog

Residential training doesn't work - not to mention you have no idea what training methods they are using in private. if you are "trained" along side your dog it wont work...

also two weeks of training means nothing - it takes MONTHS of consistent and persistant training before you will see real results.

But the reward is 100 fold.

cocker5 wrote: »
    I cannot stress enough here - dont waste your money.

I sent my cocker to Fircroft kennels in Kildare (before i knew any better) cost me €700 for 2 weeks - he came back double the size, yes he would perform recall no probs infront of them and for them but for NO ONE else.

The thing about training a dog is it ONLY works when both owners and dog train together - in the end i had to spend another €200 to have a dog trainer come around to the house - she trained us mostly... but she gave me 5 main principles to do....2 months later he was a different dog

Residential training doesn't work - not to mention you have no idea what training methods they are using in private. if you are "trained" along side your dog it wont work...

also two weeks of training means nothing - it takes MONTHS of consistent and persistant training before you will see real results.

But the reward is 100 fold.

I have used Hollybarn before and Emma is excellent. She came to our house for our cocker spaniel (who was very difficult to train and still is) and worked wonders with her. The only reason I am considering residential is that we will be on holiday when he is so young and that he will miss out on all the basics for that time. I was hoping even if he learned the commands etc that it might be easier to take over when we get back. He is very smart and picks things up quickly so I thought this would be better than sitting in a kennel on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I have used Hollybarn before and Emma is excellent. She came to our house for our cocker spaniel (who was very difficult to train and still is) and worked wonders with her. The only reason I am considering residential is that we will be on holiday when he is so young and that he will miss out on all the basics for that time. I was hoping even if he learned the commands etc that it might be easier to take over when we get back. He is very smart and picks things up quickly so I thought this would be better than sitting in a kennel on his own.

Snap - cocker spaniel owner here too.. I also used the residential training while we were away in malta for 2 weeks... still made no difference OP and my guy was young too... thats just my experience. Thankfully my cocker isnt difficult to train ive taught him loads of tricks myself -we wanted them to work on his recall etc...

personally OP i think you are wasting your money... would you not consider home stay kennelling for your dog? you mentioned he will be quiet young? How young?

Im not a fan of normal kennels think its too lonely not to mention very loud for a dog especially a puppy. I leave my guy with a lady who minds him in her home treats him like her own.. just an idea

Yes I am also looking into that. My parents will be minding my stubborn cocker spaniel as she always goes to them but will not be able for two dogs esp because he is still small enough to escape onto a busy road. He is currently 10 weeks so will be 15 when we go on holiday. He is used to other dogs and has just got all his injections. Ideally we wouldn’t have got another puppy until we came back but he is a rescue pup we fostered who just fit right in. I will see if there is anyone locally who can mind him and keep implementing the things we are teaching him

Hollybarn do residential training. Why not leave pup with Emma, given that you already know and trust her?
    There's also Emmaline of http://www.citizencanineireland.com, who takes them in one at a time to live in her own home. She's fab.
    Residential training has got quite a bad rep in Ireland, and up until recently rightly so, as the "stack em high" approach was used... Dogs kept in kennels, an hour or so of training per day, and all too often, very harsh techniques and gear used to get a quick result (that often doesn't last and can cause new, more serious problems to appear).
    However, there are one or two super trainers out there offering in-home residential training whereby the dog is under their educational influence all of the time. Such trainers are keenly aware that it's up to the owner to keep it going once the dog leaves, and address this in some detail.
    There is a time and a place where this sort of residential training is appropriate, it can even make the difference between dog staying or dog going if their owner hasn't the skills or opportunity to initiate an appropriate training program. Not every owner can manage the extra workload that having a dog with issues brings... But having a good professional kick-starting the healing process can make an enormous difference.
    Similarly, in this case, the owner wants to keep their pup on the right path that they've already started on, whilst they go on holidays. I don't see a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Have a ten year old dog never been house trained how do I even go about training him? He a crossbreed not sure what of yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

marathon wrote: »
    Have a ten year old dog never been house trained how do I even go about training him? He a crossbreed not sure what of yet

To start with: put on a good, warm coat. Have some super good treats with you. Take the dog into the garden, sit down, and wait. When the dog goes to the toilet act like it's just won the lottery - lots of praise and treats. Clean your house with a solution of biological washing powder/liquid; this will neutralise the scent of anywhere the dog may have peed in the house that tells the dog to toilet there again. If it goes in the house do not yell or punish the dog, just don't react and clean it up.

After a little while the dog will cop on that 'pee outside - good things happen, pee inside - nothing happens' and will pee outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Cheers for that

Advertisement