Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud Storage: Any views or recommendations?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Dinarius wrote: »
    I'm a photographer and I'm considering moving to Cloud storage for precious, long-term files.

A quick Google found this recent article which likes Amazon's offering. http://www.wired.com/2015/03/amazon-unlimited-everything-cloud-storage/

Thoughts?

Thanks.

D.
    Flicker is very good as it comes with 1TB of free space if you have a yahoo account.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/flicker/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Services change/shut down regularly(MS just culled their offering twice) so you should only, IMO, go for cloud backup not cloud storage.

Keep a NAS in your house with all your files and then backup to X. Then when X gives 2wks notice to download all files you dont have to go scrambling for storage, download ??GB/??TB and then re-upload them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I use the amazon one myself as its great value and I already had an amazon account so it seemed like a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

ED E wrote: »
    Services change/shut down regularly(MS just culled their offering twice) so you should only, IMO, go for cloud backup not cloud storage.

Keep a NAS in your house with all your files and then backup to X. Then when X gives 2wks notice to download all files you dont have to go scrambling for storage, download ??GB/??TB and then re-upload them.

got just this from Microsoft OneDrive

"We want to let you know about some upcoming changes to OneDrive. On July 27, 2016, the amount of storage that comes with OneDrive will change from 15 GB to 5 GB. We are also discontinuing the 15 GB camera roll bonus"

mad.png

30 to 5

and I liked onedrive the way my computer, windows phone and MS email where are synced to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get a NAS drive, put in a few red western digital drives. Avoid the 3TB ones, as I think they're not meant to be great.

And then put into something fireproof not on the ground floor.

• Advertisement

RED 3TBs are just fine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

I'm currently using a 10tb LaCie raid drive. I've used about 6tb of the available space. So, I'd be looking for the same (and more) Cloud.

Any further advice on getting that quantity of space appreciated.

Thanks.

D.

Crashplan is my choice, $6/mo for unlimited storage. My backup is a measly 780GB at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

the_syco wrote: »
    Get a NAS drive, put in a few red western digital drives. Avoid the 3TB ones, as I think they're not meant to be great. And then put into something fireproof not on the ground floor.

As an IT pro, I dont think I'd recommend a NAS. We paid a fair bit for one, there was a power cut and the whole thing had to be reconfigured with a CD that had to be downloaded from the website. Told afterwards that the NAS should be on a UPS. My point is that there is a good bit of administration overhead with using a NAS.

Also, we have had terrible problems with OneDrive, I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole. Microsoft are supposed to be taking over Box, have only one client using it and it seems good. Allow you to map a network drive (instead of having to sync).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

ED E wrote: »
    RED 3TBs are just fine ;)

Can also confirm 2 x 3TB reds in my NAS and no problems.
    *touch wood*

• Advertisement
Advertisement